Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial Up Disaster

Options
  • 30-01-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Don't know if there is anyone who can advise me on dial up? Have been using BT Ireland Flat rate for good while . Received letter - they are changing service dial up number. Have tried new number but it won't work. Rang BT Ireland - new number will only work if you have line rental with them or they have a code if your line is with Eircom. My line & calls are currently with Imagine, so BT Ireland said to ring them & see if they had a "code" I could use to access the new service dial up number. Rang Imagine - no code & they don't offer dial up. So basically, I'm st*ffed! Presume only options are to have all phone services with Eircom or BT - don't fancy either much, as have had lousy ciustomer service from both in past. Would be keen to hear others preferences or any other options? Cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Have you tried the code that BT gave you? That code is an operator code, and it diverts the charges for the call to that operator. It should work regardless of who your calls are with, as it simply diverts the next call to the alternate operator.

A code from Imagine wouldn't work, as they could only give you their code, you need BT's code.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Have tried new BT number both with & without the code that they say gives access for Eircom line users. Without the code I get a continuous tone, as in number not in service. With the code, get a repeated tone, as in engaged signal but it starts before modem has even completed dial up. Info from BT tech support was that the new number will only work if you pay line rental to BT or Eircom? Don't quite see how, as presume all lines still go thru Eircom exchange, regardless?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

The 13321 number is the port number for Eircom to dial out to different dial up numbers like Anytime. For Anytime to work with the new number, you have to change your line rental over to BT or Eircom because no other resellers have a port number (Perlico, IBB, Imagine ect.)

I'm afraid your going to have to change over to either A or B... no other option.

I thought that may be the case. So we go from little choice to no choice at all! Oh, the wonderful advances of technology in Ireland :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

I presume you cant not get broadband service where you are if your still using Dial up service? If you dont want to change your line rental then you could always contact Digiweb about getting broadband service on phoneline or satalite.

I would have thought if you changed to eircom or bt you would get a cheaper packge with phonecalls and dial up then what you have. I'm with eircom for everything but thinking of changing.

• Advertisement

No chance here of phoneline broadband - too far from exchange, exchange needs to be upgraded but no idea when that will happen, etc, etc. Worst thing is, I can see (on a good day) a Digiweb mast from our house but they tell me transmitter faces in opposite direction. Have looked at satellite but v. expensive.

Got on to Eircom today & have signed up for flat rate anytime. This is same cost as BT Ireland service but can keep my line rental & calls with whoever I want.

Advertisement