Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT 3mb broadband not available to everyone

Options
  • 30-01-2008 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Rang BT to upgrade from 2mb to 3mb deluxe package and they tell me I can't because Eircom have not made 3mb broadband available in my area. There's no mention of it on any of the ISP websites of it only being available in certain areas. Is this BT spouting rubbish? Don't see how I can get 2mb but can't get 3mb :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What they're saying is rubbish. If the exchange is enabled then all 3 speeds are available to everyone. However, your line may not be capable of supporting the higher speed. I don't know if there's any way for them to know this before trying it though, but definitely saying eircom hasn't enabled 3Mbps in your area is complete horseshit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Thats what I thought. Just rang Digiweb and they checked and said they can give me 3mb. Think I'll just switch to them rather than argue with BT. I'll get a static IP address too which BT are refusing to give me.

Edit: Switch over is far too much hassle! Rang BT back and it was a mistake, 3mb broadband is available.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Exchanges might be able to give 3MB but that doesn't mean your line can support it, perhaps thats what they meant except they explained it arse ways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

It depends on who you get in the Sales... two types of people.

The ones who know your line is only capable of 2MB and advised you of that.

And the ones who want their lovely commission and sell you 3MB regardless of prequalification.

Ring Eircom and ask them to test your line and see what speeds you can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Cabaal wrote: »
    Exchanges might be able to give 3MB but that doesn't mean your line can support it, perhaps thats what they meant except they explained it arse ways?

+1

Alot of ISP's have this issue with their sales departments. I know for all the ones i've worked with ,the sales dept. were largely to blame for loss of service after regrading to a higher package. This is down to sales people upgrading the customer without due attention to the proceedure of pre-qualifying the line for the speed they are trying to upgrade to. Its unfortunate but chances are the sales agent prequalled your line and then was too inept to explain that your line couldn't handle the speed and not your exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Username! wrote: »
    It depends on who you get in the Sales... two types of people.

The ones who know your line is only capable of 2MB and advised you of that.

And the ones who want their lovely commission and sell you 3MB regardless of prequalification.

Ring Eircom and ask them to test your line and see what speeds you can handle.

Can eircom check the speed any line can handle? How do I go about getting them to test my line - what number do I ring if ya happen to know it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I had problems with my eircom line over a year ago and they did a line test on the spot and told me i could get just over 7meg. The number I rang was eircoms standard broadband sales line I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Ludo wrote: »
    Can eircom check the speed any line can handle? How do I go about getting them to test my line - what number do I ring if ya happen to know it?
    Ring them and say you want to get BB and would like to get a prequalification done to see what your line can handle - Eircom BB Tech Support - 1890 260 260

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

thanks guys...must give them a ring today although I am sure they will say 1 meg is the max it can handle :mad:

*edit* Just got it tested...feck sake...1.2meg. What a joke!

Advertisement