Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm suddenly an eco-nut - down with speedbumps....

Options
  • 30-01-2008 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

.....The traffic-calming measures double the carbon dioxide emissions and fuel consumption by forcing drivers to brake and accelerate repeatedly, according to a study commissioned by the AA. A car that achieves 58.15 miles per gallon travelling at a steady 30mph will deliver only 30.85mpg when going over humps......A motorist who observed the speed limit on one mile of 20mph road during a daily journey would produce an extra tonne of CO2 in a year compared with driving at 30mph on the same stretch.............The London Ambulance Service has claimed that the 30,000 humps on the capital’s roads cause up to 500 deaths a year because its crews suffer delays in reaching victims of cardiac arrest.......

Source : timesonline.co.uk

I bet the green party will leap into action to save lives and the planet by legislating against uneccesary speed restrictions. Or they'll do **** all, vote themselves a higher salary and put in more cameras to collect revenue instead.

I wonder what odds Paddy Powers would give.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

IIRC the green party have spoken on this before. Not sure I'd be able to find a link though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The speed bumps with the gaps in them are so much better. Easier for buses and emergency vehicles to get through. We cant have emergency vehicles slowing down for ramps, waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I was only thinking about emissions yesterday, they have destroyed a lovely driving road the lower road along the liffey (strawberry beds) with bumps every hundred meters or so... Constantly slowing and accelerating is the complete opposite of what they tell us to do on the uk goverment ad on tv with the engines on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I think speed bumps are fine once they let you go the legal speed limit. Most of the ones I experience on my daily drive, make me drop down into second gear when I should be cruising along in fourth.

I love the speed bumps on Fassaugh Avenue, beside Nephin Road. If you go above the speed limit, the bumps definitely let you know. But they are fine when going at or near the speed limit. I'd say an emergency services vehicle with a confident driver, could speed over them bumps and maintain control of the vehicle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Take the speed ramps out and replace every one with a traffic camera (with film inside the camera :rolleyes: )

They would make a fortune & a huge difference out in Tallafornia.

Speed ramps with bits missing are pointless as they don't encourage drivers to slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dyflin wrote: »

Speed ramps with bits missing are pointless as they don't encourage drivers to slow down.

+1, they also encourage people to swerve out between lanes to "make" the gap on some roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

+1, they also encourage people to swerve out between lanes to "make" the gap on some roads.

I know what you mean. If you're one of those people who insists on avoiding the ramp, sometimes you have to go on the other side of the road. Ridiculous.

The shallow(ish) ramps seem to work well. On some you can stick to about 40-45 kmh comfortably but I hate the steep short ones that are uncomfortable at any speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

javaboy wrote: »

The shallow(ish) ramps seem to work well. On some you can stick to about 40-45 kmh comfortably but I hate the steep short ones that are uncomfortable at any speed.

Agree with that. Need a ramp that emergency services can go over at a good speed. The steep ones are not good. Also the steep one require more maintenance as they usually get hit with more force due to their incline. most of the ramps requiring maintenance are the steep ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

javaboy wrote: »
    The shallow(ish) ramps seem to work well. On some you can stick to about 40-45 kmh comfortably
    There used to be a few of these around Limerick (like around Mary I) but they keep making the things bigger! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The speed ramps on the South Circular raod in Limerick were terrible then they smoothed the edges off.

Speedramps encourage noise, fuel wastage and erratic driving and as such have no place on the roads.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Speed ramps are bad for the underside of the car, slow you down and waste more fuel and therefore should be banished for good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Speed ramps cause accidents at night as they are hard to see.
    Ever hit a speed ramp too fast? the car bottoms out and you lose control.

Down with speed ramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Reflectors or "cat's eyes" on the speed bumps would be nice too.

Advertisement