Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New myhome.ie site - what tripe

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Just read on Tom Doyle's blog about the new myhome.ie site and i have to agree with him... It's worse than the last one.

It looks really unfinished and just thrown together, im suprised a well established Dublin agency made something so bad.

This is just my opinion but im sure others agree.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah that is bad. They use about a million different font sizes on the page too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

It sure does look very scattered on the main page. I think they tried a bit too hard to go for the "simplistic look", it just comes across as empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Horrible - looks so cluttered - nothing lining up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

It's horrendous... unfortunately Irish clients tend not to know the difference between a well designed site and a poorly designed site. They simply look at established companies like Webfactory, check out their clients list and that's enough for them. They don't have any notion of quality. More's the pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Lets hope they dont get their hands on www.myhome2let.ie , its quite a decent site (compared to myhome.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

even the color scheme and the million plain shades of blue just speaks for itself...

nevf wrote: »
    Oh god - this makes me angry - here I am making valid websites for half nothing and then they pay big money for someone to create that?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Depressingly poor alright. Looks like it's missing half a stylesheet, the colour choices are poor, the font sizes are all over the place, there's no natural focal points or flow to the page and the url scheme is completely inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Pain in the ass - my session times out during a search.
    Search options are blanked when I try to search again.

• Advertisement

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Oh god - this makes me angry - here I am making valid websites for half nothing and then they pay big money for someone to create that?
    The "autodetect" feature is enabled, and it detects the the website is XHTML and scans for errors based on that... However, even if you use HTML 4.0 transitional, it still throws up 80 errors.

I have little experience regarding web design, and I couldn't(and i'm sure you couldn't either) design a website that bad, or with that many errors if we tried..

Lazy developers tbh

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Lazy developers tbh
    But what I can't understand is
    a) Would the developers not be employed by MyHome.ie, and actually want to do a nice job, and increase traffic = profit.

b)If the developers were external, and just contracted do the site, they're being paid to design it, and should at least try to make a proper one, and if they're not competent, why did MyHome contract them to design it in the first place.

It's not my problem, but it does make me curious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

nevf wrote: »
    But what I can't understand is
    a) Would the developers not be employed by MyHome.ie, and actually want to do a nice job, and increase traffic = profit.

b)If the developers were external, and just contracted do the site, they're being paid to design it, and should at least try to make a proper one, and if they're not competent, why did MyHome contract them to design it in the first place.

It's not my problem, but it does make me curious...
    Probably what Laslo said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

perhaps thats one of the problems, developers were paid to 'design' that site, it also looks like designers were paid to develop the site, maybe they got mixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Its hard to see where the main content is, I seem to be drawn to the right handside of the homepage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Sure the website only cost 50 million. A basic design is all it needs...

Heard the Ads on the radio today - "Now MyHome.ie is even easier to use with our re design - see for yourself!".

Makes me want to vomit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dead cert for a Golden Spider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

grahamor wrote: »
    Lets hope they dont get their hands on www.myhome2let.ie , its quite a decent site

You're kidding right? It's atrocious. The main navigation links redirect via JavaScript. Amateur Web design 101.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I think that a site that has 15-20 separate means of navigation has lost site of ther goal. While design may well be a personal thing, there are some sound base HCI principles that shouldn't be ignored, and this new site manages to ignore quite a few of them!

Advertisement