Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Loo!

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Loo after being flushed keeps the water running into the toilet bowl instead of filling up the cistern? In order to stop it running into the toilet bowl and to be able to flush it I have to lift the cistern lid and pull up the stop cock to stop this happening? Anyone any ideas what the problem is and is it something I could fix myself?

Thanks all...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi dubsgirl

Can you post a picture (inside) as there are many different typs of loos

regards

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

You have a problem with your ballcock (no pun intended).

Do the following:

1. if the ball cock arm is metal then grab it near the pivot, and bend the arm DOWNWards, only on the outboard half (if you know what I mean). Use 10 mm as a rough guide. This will give the arm more leverage and will hopefully seal better (it's basically replicating what you did when you pulled up the arm).

2. if the ballcock arm has a screw adjustment near the pivot then ignore 1. above. Screw the adjustment inwards*, thus increasing the arm overall length. This will have the same affect as 1. above.

* I think it inwards, but you can try either way to make sure it works.

3. if 1. and 2. above don't work then you might have to shut off the water and dismantle the valve and see if the sealing surfaces are worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The cistern syphon is stuck in "flush"

Time to get a new one imo

They are made of very light crappy plastic and thic can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

great thanks for the advice

Will try all of the above and if I get nowhere I'll post a pic!!

Advertisement