Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it worth getting AA membership when you have breakdown assistance with insurer?

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,

I am a member of the AA and am due to renew my membership, but with my new insurance policy with FBD, I have breakdown assistance.

I've just rang FBD to see if it covers the same things (home start, breakdown assistance, fix your car on-site if it's possible, tow-away to a garage, cover hotel if you're far from your destination, have their own team, countrywide) and the policies seem to be the same - but are they??

Does anyone know if there is a difference between insurers breakdown cover and the AA that I'm missing? I'm suspicious because if it's 'free', there must be a catch!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Lena

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I just switched from Quinn thru Cornmarket with their public sector scheme (civil servant here) and will be insured with Royal Sun & Alliance. I was told I had breakdown assistance too. I asked what it covered and was told the home start, recovery, towing, fixing on site etc... and was told it was just like being an AA member but it wouldn't cost me extra. That alone saves me an extra €225 odd (or whatever being an AA member cost me last year) as well as having class B insurance for using my car for work purposes if I need to (which Quinn wanted an extra €350 per year for), having up to €5000 NCB protection & being fully comp on other peoples cars (only being 3rd party with Quinn).

Not only did switching mean a lower premium than Quinn, it's also meant saving money on being an AA member and the business class insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Had an incident at 7pm or so on new years eve 2006 and my car needed towing. Thankfully I remembered that I had breakdown assist with my insurance. Local guy was out within about 40 mins. I shudder to think how much it would have cost if I'd been reaching into my own pocket that night, or if I'd have got anyone at all to come out. It's one of those additional benefits you never really think about until you need it but you thank god you've got it when it comes up trumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The only obvious downside is the insurance cover might not cover you in ither vehicles...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I used FBD's tow service and I found it very good. One problem is, however, that the tow truck only has to take you to the nearest garage that is capable of repairing the car. The guy who towed me dropped me off at a garage that he recommended but they turned out to be chancers. Not FBD's fault though.

This could be overcome by offering the towman a few quid to drop the car off to your mechanic. I wish I had tried this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It looks more impressive when the AA arrive on the sceen! AA_automobile_association_motorcycle_arp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

AA did not have any issue towing my car from Dublin 15 - Celbridge,

It is no use to have towing to nearest garage if you wan´t to fix the car yourself,

and if I understand correctly Rescue Plus would tow the car any place in Ireland to your home if needed.

And if you think that AA costs around 10 euros / month, it is really good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

pete4130 wrote: »
    I just switched from Quinn thru Cornmarket with their public sector scheme (civil servant here) and will be insured with Royal Sun & Alliance. I was told I had breakdown assistance too. I asked what it covered and was told the home start, recovery, towing, fixing on site etc... and was told it was just like being an AA member but it wouldn't cost me extra. That alone saves me an extra €225 odd (or whatever being an AA member cost me last year) as well as having class B insurance for using my car for work purposes if I need to (which Quinn wanted an extra €350 per year for), having up to €5000 NCB protection & being fully comp on other peoples cars (only being 3rd party with Quinn).

Not only did switching mean a lower premium than Quinn, it's also meant saving money on being an AA member and the business class insurance.

ditto to all this. I went from Quinn to R&SA and saved the same way.

Advertisement