Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running cable behind 35mm insulated plasterboard.Trunk or chase?

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hello Sparks,
    I am renovating my kitchen and I will need to run some extra sockets off the existing ring circuit. The walls will be slabbed with 35mm thick insulated plasterboard so I want to know is it better to chase in the cable (using an angle grinder) or can I get away with using trunking and then cut channels in the insulation?

Second point. If I cut into the existing wall how can I keep the cable in place before the slabs go over? If it wasn't being slabbed I'd bond and then skim over with plaster.
    Thanks all

SD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

so I want to know is it better to chase in the cable (using an angle grinder) or can I get away with using trunking and then cut channels in the insulation
    I would use oval wavin. 22mm in size and channel the insulation

Second point. If I cut into the existing wall how can I keep the cable in place before the slabs go over? If it wasn't being slabbed I'd bond and then skim over with plaster.
    Thanks all

Galvo band. When you see it you will know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Thanks fishdog - just googled galvo band but no luck. Would I get it in Brooks or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

As fishdog suggests except 25mm wavin, them extra couple of mil make adifference when you're pushing 2* 2.5 T&E's through.
    You could buy wavin clips to hold it in place same time you get the wavin.
    Just make sure the cable is kept seperate from the insulation, the pvc can react with the polystyrene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

make sure the 2.5 T&E cables are level and untwisted when using the wavin.

The clips or galvo band are available from any electrical suppliers, there is a sticky on the main page about them.

Wavin clips would be the job, you might need nail clips though as in the small yellow or white rawl type pluge only you hammer into them, but a roll of galvo band has more uses from a general DIY point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

during the renovation of my own kitchen i used 20 ml wavin as it sits into the knock outs on the galv boxes without having to use ferrules, but using the larger wavin will make it easier to pull trough your cables especially if using twin and earth.
    mark where the cables and wavin are so the kitchen guys dont drill into them. i used tc clips to fix the wavin, just cause it was quicker and have a lower profile and dont require drilling.keep your lines straight and any bends use slip ends which incase of a damaged cable will allow the new cable to be pulled in easier. also no harm to run extra wavin for cabnet/wall lights while the work is in progress

• Advertisement
Advertisement