Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E46 - Turning on automatic locking

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As far as I know the e46 has an automatic locking feature (locking doors once it gets to X revs) that is turned off in Irish models (maybe European too).
    Does anybody know if this can be turned on? Or is it something that has to be done by a BMW dealer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I've an E46 and its turned on (ok it's a UK import). Basically go above 5 mph and it locks everything (doors, boot and petrol flap!). In the Owners Manual it says you need to go to the dealer to get this changed (like the follow-me-home lights). Maybe though there is another option for home programming. I haven't found it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Yeah, all those functions can be turned on or off at the dealers - although I have yet to find one who knows how to!!

On the coupe you can also have the drivers window go all the way down with a second press of the unlock button to make it easier to get into the car in a confined space, when you close the door the window goes up itself - pretty cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I can do it with Carsoft - If your in Galway i'll do it for a bottle of Buckfast :d

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I can do it with Carsoft - If your in Galway i'll do it for a bottle of Buckfast :d

Only a number 7 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Same with the saloon - hold down the button after locking / unlocking and it will open or close the two front windows accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I thought all BMW's had that as standard for at least 10 years !!

I don't mean holding the button down, that will open all windows.

Only on the coupe, it can be very tight sometimes getting it with the long door so when you press the unlock button a second press, not hold, will make the drivers side window go all the way down, then when you close the door it goes back up by itself.

Not very good at explaining am I :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

John, I am in Limerick area!
    Carsoft might be an option though - is it good???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

richie_rvf wrote: »
    I don't mean holding the button down, that will open all windows.

Only on the coupe, it can be very tight sometimes getting it with the long door so when you press the unlock button a second press, not hold, will make the drivers side window go all the way down, then when you close the door it goes back up by itself.

Not very good at explaining am I :rolleyes:

Do you mean you hop in dukes of hazard style?

Not noticed this on my coupe - only have the long hold which opens all windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

keith_d99 wrote: »
    John, I am in Limerick area!
    Carsoft might be an option though - is it good???

I'm in Lmerick 2 and can sort you out .
    I also use carsoft to run diagnostics and clear error codes and have set autolocking on my own car, a useful tool indeed.

• Advertisement

High&Low wrote: »
    Do you mean you hop in dukes of hazard style?

Not noticed this on my coupe - only have the long hold which opens all windows.

LOL - no, you open the door as normal but with the window being down you have much more room to squeeze in if you are parked in a spot that will not allow you to open the door very wide.

It's really handy - for the one time you will use in in maybe 2 to 3 years of ownership :D

The only bad thing on the coupe is that the rear windows will not close with the key, I think it is because they do not have an anti-trap feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thanks cyborg - I'll send you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

JohnCleary wrote: »

I have tried to use CarSoft to enable this on a good few e39s & e46swith no success. Has it worked for you?
    (I can however change from Gallon to litres & miles to kilometres, etc.)
    What version of Carsoft & year of car have you got it to work with?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

richie_rvf wrote: »
    Yeah, all those functions can be turned on or off at the dealers - although I have yet to find one who knows how to!!

On the coupe you can also have the drivers window go all the way down with a second press of the unlock button to make it easier to get into the car in a confined space, when you close the door the window goes up itself - pretty cool :)

Richie I got mine done in Spud & Bang Bang and all the lads there know how to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Frank Keanes did mine the other day while it was in for a service, although it added about €30 onto the bill and they only did one key even though I gave them both.

NBar wrote: »
    Richie I got mine done in Spud & Bang Bang and all the lads there know how to do it

Cheers, always good to know that some of the dealers know what they are doing :rolleyes:

Advertisement