Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken Hard Drive C:

• 30-01-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

My c: drive went tits up last night, i was doing some spring cleaning, (deleting files, removing programs, that kinda thing as the computer had slowed right down) and started a defrag, and went to watch tv. when i came back the computer was continuously rebooting itself (it would get to the windows logo and reboot itself), and there was a strange noise coming from the hard drive, like it was spinning, looking for data, but there was a problem so it would stop spinning, then it would repeat that a few times before resetting. kinda like a very scratched cd, if you know what i mean.

has this happened to anyone before? is there any point in me bringing the computer in to get repaired, or can i just bring the hard drive in? is it just time to bite the bullet and buy a new pc? if i buy a new hard drive, does that mean i need to buy a new copy of windows then, and does it also mean i wont be able to retrieve any of the data on my kanckered drive? it's so very bloody annoying..

cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

try getting it to boot from last previous working configuration hold down F11 on start up, view the options there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

listermint wrote: »
    try getting it to boot from last previous working configuration hold down F11 on start up, view the options there.

no that doesnt do it.. cheers anyway

i reckon its a mechanical fault with the hd..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Have you tried to boot into safe mode? F8 at the OS menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Doubt it, The hard drive doesnt sound if its damaged. you were just performing a defrag. id say it can be retreived. Try Getting your orignal Windows OS disc and you can run that from boot follow the instructions on screen. It sounds repairable.

rkm wrote: »
    Have you tried to boot into safe mode? F8 at the OS menu

yeah i should have mentioned that in my previous post, safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt, none of them work either..

• Advertisement

chkdsk from the recovery console is next on the list then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Just download the hard disk diagnostics from the manufacturer of the disk and run them to see if the disk if faulty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Any clunk-type noises from the disk?

no clunk noises, as i say just kinda sounds like a cd laser skipping..

doing chkdsk now from the recovery console, but it's making the same noise after 29% and isnt moving any further..

That doesn't sound good. Disk seems to be failing.

• Advertisement

not good at all. it got 75% and then up flashed

"the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

that appears to be that then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Copy whatever data you can off it and replace it asap.

Advertisement