Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost Of New Cat For An S60

Options
  • 30-01-2008 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

My S60 D5 started to sound like a helicopter taking off over the weekend - rattles and a rough exhaust note. Took it to a local (non main dealer) garage that has been servicing my cars for a few years and am told that it needs a new cat and exhaust unit which is going to cost €980 + VAT. Does this sound right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Wow - €980 - thats a lot, but I think if you are replacing the whole exhaust system rather than say a back box, it's about right. Is this an OEM part? Are there spurious parts available? I'd check with somewhere like Kwikfit for a competitive price.

Its also possible that only one section of the exhaust is gone and just that section can be replaced (in my Honda its in three bits).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I had to change mine on my Pug 306 the other day, from the manifold back to the back box ( New cat, mid box + Labour .. ) it cost me 330. I know the 306 and S60 are different cars, but just for comparison :)

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

Thanks for the advice. Have spoken to a couple of volvo main dealers who are quoting 'at least €1,000 if not more plus vat' for the cat on its own. The rest of the exhaust is fine. None of the websites that supply spurious parts that I can see have prices on line for the s60 d5 but will keep trying. It looks like beans on toast for the next few weeks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

hey. I was quoted over €1000 for a new Cat and full exhaust from BMW. I went to Atlas tyres and exhausts and they welded in a spurious Cat for 350.

Worth ringing them to see if they offer it on your car.

I had the emissions checked afterwards and they were fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

Thanks Quarryman, will do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement