Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blu-ray apparently being considered.....

• 30-01-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭

http://xboxfamily.com/xf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1283&Itemid=2

Has Microsoft been considering a Blu ray add-on for the Xbox 360 all along? According to Jeff Bell, Microsoft’s head of marketing, yes.

In what has become a popular debate in the vein of “Will they or won’t they”, Jeff Bell confirmed that Microsoft has been in talks with the Blu ray association for sometime now regarding an add-on for the Xbox 360. The idea of a Blu ray add-on, similar to the current HD DVD add-on, first emerged when Peter Moore made mention of it prior to last year’s E3 conference.

"We've been talking to Blu ray all along because we have the best piece of software in the business, called HDi. It is the backbone that powers interactivity in HD-DVD and we have that available to potentially partner with others," Jeff Bell told 1UP.

"You never say never. I think we'd like to see how things evolve. Our commitment, however, to HD-DVD is profound and consistent, and we have done very, very well in term of our accessory sales."

While HD DVD still has major support from Universal, Paramount, and Dreamworks; the recent move by Warner Bros to go exclusively Blu ray later this year has changed the entire game plan for many directly involved in the next-gen movie format debate.

Bell also pointed out that it shouldn’t be seen as too crazy a concept for MS to support Blu ray. Sony’s Vaio line of computers all use Windows software. Fanboys often forget that these companies are out to make money and will partner with whoever it takes to make that money. It’s not about fanboys. It’s about business. If a Blu ray player could sell as an add-on for the Xbox 360. Everyone wins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

they should add it on to the 360 asap. if it was poss ms should go all out and add a dual player with the blu ray & Hd player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm pretty certain this is going to happen. It's been rumored ever since the HDDVD add-on was released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

they should add it on to the 360 asap. if it was poss ms should go all out and add a dual player with the blu ray & Hd player.

Its possible for LG players so why not the HDDVD Drive as it stands!

Anyone wanna buy a HDDVD Player? lol

With Planet Earth, 300, Goodfellas, Transformers, Bourne Box Set, King Kong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

This news is undoubtedly quite sickening to anyone who bought the HD-DVD add-on! They could release an add-on for the add-on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Is there any need for it though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If there's room for 3 consoles at the same time surely there's room for 2 high-def players to co-exist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

All rumours, really doubt MS would bring this out. They want you to rent your movies off XBL Marketplace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

eoin2nc wrote: »
    All rumours, really doubt MS would bring this out. They want you to rent your movies off XBL Marketplace

They want anything that'll make them money really.... If they really wanted people to download movies they'd be pushing it on more than just the 360. A microsoft version of the apple tv would be a good idea if they really wanted everyone downloading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

a combo HD-DVD/Blu-Ray would be lubberly..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

well the xbox is as close to a Blu-Ray Hd-DVD as you can get. Almost all the studious,apart from sony, support Xbox Live downloads. So you can get the drive for Universal/Paramount films and download the other ones you want.......well maybe not, but I really doubt MS will leave the format they helped develop and 'jump into bed with sony' and give the Xbox what is the PS3's main selling point, a Blu-Ray drive.
    By the time anyway it would take to develop the drive, stand-alone drives would have dropped in price a lot to make the drive pointless..... For example Ibood had a HD-DVD drive for E150,cheaper than the 360 add-on.

Just my $0.02

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daxroc

I don't support the restricted "DRM" of the medium locking features away from me at the beckon call of the movie studios.

Educate and Inform before you buy.

http://writersblocklive.com/boycott/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

daxroc wrote: »
    I don't support the restricted "DRM" of the medium locking features away from me at the beckon call of the movie studios.

Educate and Inform before you buy.

http://writersblocklive.com/boycott/

What do you mean?

As in you cant copy them is it?

Advertisement