Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarsfield Road roundabout - Wilton

Options
  • 30-01-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Just reading a thread about reporting dangerous driving in the motors forum (and if this should be in that forum too pls move it) and I just wanted to say that I really don't know how I have not had an accident on the Sarsfield Road roundabout yet. This roundabout is the one below Wilton Shopping Centre, on the South Link.

I have to drive through it every morning to go to Wilton. There are 3 lanes as you approach from the east. Right - to go to Wilton, middle - fast lane on south link heading west, and left - slow land on link heading west. There is invariably a small delay getting around the roundabout to head towards Wilton using the correct lane, so some drivers decide to outsmart all of us eejits using the right lane and use the middle lane to speed past the traffic and cut in to the Wilton lane as it joins the roundabout.

Sick of them to be honest. I've written a letter to the roads/traffic division of Cork City Council - not that anything can be done about it really.

Rant over. Back to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Ya I see this all the time... when I'm going from East to West I usually take the left lane, because someone usually clogs up the middle lane trying to turn into Wilton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Point of order: there's no such thing as a fast lane in Ireland. The lane(s) on the right is/are for overtaking.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Yeah, I hear you. I have to use the left lane too in the mornings because of this. It can really block up traffic. I've seen the Gardai there once, but they weren't catching anyone as people could see them so they headed on straight instead of making the turn to Wilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Yeah, it inconveniences drivers heading west on the overtaking lane (thanks dahamsta for clearing that up!) as much as drivers heading to Wilton. I actually received a response from Cork City Council that time I wrote to them - just thanking me for my letter.

I saw a guard there last week too - Monday morning. Had a ringside seat when some young fella tried to cut in even though the guard was standing a few feet away from him - he just motioned him over to the side and hopefully imparted a rule of the road or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I had to drive up to CUH every day/night for 3 weeks and I was literally "sweating" every time I hit that Sarsfield Roundab' really afraid I'd have my car swiped every time, no matter how carefully I drove.

I find a lot of problems like this at Roundab's - I also think it doesn't help that there are no lines on road to divide traffic into two lanes, eg. Dunkettle which results in cars driving too much to the left, or too much to the right, as there is no guiding white line, so the cars start veering towards you, dangerously close. The same when I'm driving by the Elysian each morning near AR Brownlows - again, cars go around the corners too fast and drive across somebody else's lane and insist on driving into the "yellow box" even though they know they're going to block it. Driving here is just plain scary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I always think I'm taking my life in my hands far more on the Wilton Roundabout at the shopping centre....at least there are lights on the Sarsfield Road one to (in theory) slow the loony lane-sailors. The amount of times I've been cut off by twits in the wrong lane at the Wilton one makes me take the Link out to Togher to avoid it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Thankfully I go straight through the roundabout now- but I used to have to go around it to go to Wilton and I absolutely hated it. Even in the outside lane you still get the occasional eejit who seems to forget there's lanes in the first place and swerves right in front of me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i gave out to some fella one time for using the wrong lane. he nearly ran me off my bike, and he was fully convinced he was in the wrong and couldnt give a toss that i might have been killed.

after a number of years using it on two and four wheels, i have come to the conclusion that one should militantly adn agressively drive in the correct lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

If im not mistaken before the middle lane also allowed you to go into Wilton but this was changed recently? you can see the markings on the road have been changed to a solid white line and WILTON ONLY put on the third lane.

I learned to drive round there as well, that roundabout and the Wilton roundabout above it when you've never driven before? = what do i do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yes I see this happening every morning also and sometimes they end up blocking the traffic wishing to go straight on towards the Bandon Roundabout. Once when this happened a car that was being held up because of one of these chancers trying to sneak ahead of the law abiding drivers decided to beep the hell out of yer man, the guy just beeped him continously for a few minutes....yer man quickly moved back into the lane when someone was kind enough to let him in...fair play to the guy using the horn, the more who stand up against this the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

shnaek wrote: »
    Yeah, I hear you. I have to use the left lane too in the mornings because of this. It can really block up traffic. I've seen the Gardai there once, but they weren't catching anyone as people could see them so they headed on straight instead of making the turn to Wilton.

Considering I sat behind a panda doing the same thing this very morning (middle lane to turn right), I doubt they care that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Tree wrote: »
    i have come to the conclusion that one should militantly adn agressively drive in the correct lane.

That's what I'm doing more and more now - if someone crashes into me then they are in the wrong (and my car isn't worth that much anyway!).

Just this morning I was continuing on my merry way into the roundabout when some guy decides to do the triple shuffle - without even any half-hearted indicating - and then beeps the hell out of me for not letting him in! I carried on and he proceeded to tear after me, change lanes, and slow down next to me and was obviously mouthing off and glaring at me. I just laughed and carried on...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Anyone know when the flyover is going to begin..... it would solve a lot of problems:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

eoccork wrote: »
    Anyone know when the flyover is going to begin..... it would solve a lot of problems:confused:

Plans were scrapped were they not?

eoccork wrote: »

Originally the Sarsfield & Bandon roundabouts were due to begin immediately after construction of the Kinsale flyover, however funding was pulled as the NRA concentrated its funding on finishing the interurbans and other priority projects.

the flyovers join the North Ring road, new N28, Macroom bypass, and new
    N20 down the backend of the NRAs project list, bar unexpected political pressure (Cork politicians arent exactly vocal on anything transport related) then expect sometime in the middle of the next decade for these projects to be complete! (optimism).

The plans are there and ready to go to tender i believe, anyone got 80 million Euro spare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Corksham

Originally the Sarsfield & Bandon roundabouts were due to begin immediately after construction of the Kinsale flyover, however funding was pulled as the NRA concentrated its funding on finishing the interurbans and other priority projects.

the flyovers join the North Ring road, new N28, Macroom bypass, and new
    N20 down the backend of the NRAs project list, bar unexpected political pressure (Cork politicians arent exactly vocal on anything transport related) then expect sometime in the middle of the next decade for these projects to be complete! (optimism).

The plans are there and ready to go to tender i believe, anyone got 80 million Euro spare?

I'd gladly throw in a tenner to get the ball rolling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Ther are alot of peple using the wrong lane in this fecking county..my god..every day i get beeped at by people who think i am in the wrong lane in a particular place in the city..drives me mad!!! when you cross over the bridge heading towards pemrose quay..there are 2 lanes..the outside lane goes over the bridge, swerves to the left and those cars are then to head right to the train staion direction....the inside lane goes over the bridge and once you swerve to the left off the bridge the lane turns into two lanes...heading straight along the quays...
    i dont know how many times i see people in the right hand lane heading over the bridge and then try to head straight along the quays!!! dumbasses....and they have the cheek to beep me thinking i am in the wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Maybe they're looking for freebies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If im not mistaken before the middle lane also allowed you to go into Wilton but this was changed recently? you can see the markings on the road have been changed to a solid white line and WILTON ONLY put on the third lane.

Not recently - I think it was at least two years ago.
    Femmy wrote: »
    i dont know how many times i see people in the right hand lane heading over the bridge and then try to head straight along the quays!!! dumbasses....and they have the cheek to beep me thinking i am in the wrong!

The right hand lane splits into two after the junction - you can go right or along the quay. The left hand lane has a solid white line and goes to the left hand lane only. They're beeping you because they're right.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

corblimey wrote: »
    Considering I sat behind a panda doing the same thing this very morning (middle lane to turn right),.

Escaped from Fota, did it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Our company has been circulating a safety memo about staff honouring the lane discipline on this roundabout.

Two incidents in the last week, I gather.

Our company has been circulating a safety memo about staff honouring the lane discipline on this roundabout.

Two incidents in the last week, I gather.

Ridiculous, oh well at least we can drive to Dublin faster and more safely thank you DoT/NRA! ye do amazing work....:rolleyes:

Now wheres that train to Midleton gone to?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Whilst the design may be dodgy it's not the fault of the NRA that drivers decide to ignore the markings and just block lanes to suit themselves.

Same way that Mahon Point has a badly designed network but that doesn't excuse the assholes who jump the queue.

Not recently - I think it was at least two years ago.

The right hand lane splits into two after the junction - you can go right or along the quay. The left hand lane has a solid white line and goes to the left hand lane only. They're beeping you because they're right.

no they are wrong, its the left hand lane that splits in two..the right hand lane turns off to the right ONLY. Believe me, i know what i am talking about, i drive along there a few times a day. The line breaks a bit cos of the yellow box, but you can see it clearly enough if you look at it properly..

Maybe they're looking for freebies ;)

possibly! i rarely drive there in my own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Believe me, i know what i am talking about, ..

Afraid not Femmy. He's correct - right hand lane splits into two (straight ahead and right). I go through there regularly myself and have just looked at the satellite imagery on GoogleEarth to confirm. It's fairly obvious to be honest...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=horgan's+quay,+cork&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.885545,74.707031&ie=UTF8&ll=51.9002,-8.463582&spn=0.002294,0.00456&t=k&z=18&om=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 WannaST

nice!... there's going to be a few more junctions looked up on this...

Afraid not Femmy. He's correct - right hand lane splits into two (straight ahead and right). I go through there regularly myself and have just looked at the satellite imagery on GoogleEarth to confirm. It's fairly obvious to be honest...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=horgan's+quay,+cork&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.885545,74.707031&ie=UTF8&ll=51.9002,-8.463582&spn=0.002294,0.00456&t=k&z=18&om=0

Not when your actually driving on it, in fairness that map isnt the greatest..
    next time you drive there , look and you can cleary see the line continuing on ahead after the yellow box...i'd nearly get out some night and paint it in over the yellow box myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not when your actually driving on it, in fairness that map isnt the greatest..
    next time you drive there , look and you can cleary see the line continuing on ahead after the yellow box...i'd nearly get out some night and paint it in over the yellow box myself.

The white line is perfectly visible if you zoom in.

• Advertisement

The white line is perfectly visible if you zoom in.

zoomed in a much as i could. and the line stops for the yellow box..thats why we have this problem.

Advertisement