Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points - incorrect speed limit enforced

Options
  • 30-01-2008 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

There is an article in the Irish Times motoring section today about the Gardai being forced to refund penalty point fines issued in 2006 on a part of the M1. This is due to the reduced speed limit of 80km/h on a certain part of the road not being legally enforceable as the relevant bylaws had not been put in place by the council.

The article mentions one individual who queried the fine and penalty points and states that he received a refund and the penalty points were taken off his licence. Does anyone know, in cases like this, if penalty points and fines are refunded automatically by the Gardai / RSA or do you have to make a claim?

I received my 2 penalty points on the M1, pretty sure its this stretch of road on my way to the airport in 2006, 96km/h in a 80km/h zone. I wouldn’t mind the refund of €80 and the refund of the 10% extra I pay on my insurance as a result of my points.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whatever happens, you can forget about getting the extra insurance back!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

I got 2 points on the M1 aswell. It was in 2007 though.
    I cant understand how it can go from 120km down to 80km !
    Its very easy to get caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

not the first time this has happened. Down near cillmacanough (think thats the correct spelling) it goes from 100kph and round the bend next thing it went to 50 or 60Kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

not the first time this has happened. Down near cillmacanough (think thats the correct spelling) it goes from 100kph and round the bend next thing it went to 50 or 60Kph.

Fish.Barrel.Gun.Shoot.

Advertisement