Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

coldsore!

• 30-01-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

ok so how do people get rid of these things...i dont get them often but have one now and its wrecking my head!
    i wanna do some smooching at the weekend but mrs prendy doesnt want one!
    too late for zovirax??

ideas please!

mods feel free to move.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

As far as I know they can't be transferred - either you have the 'virus' or you don't... or maybe that was aids :confused:

Zovirax should do something, failing that, take some fine sandpaper to your face ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chewie283

I got a lip balm called Chap-Ice in Penneys and it works very well
    it's a white tube with a red top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

prendy wrote: »
    ok so how do people get rid of these things...i dont get them often but have one now and its wrecking my head!
    i wanna do some smooching at the weekend but mrs prendy doesnt want one!
    too late for zovirax??

ideas please!

mods feel free to move.
    Old wives cure but it's supposed to work. Hold a HOT tea bag over it for two minutes then slather some REAL butter all over your lips. should be gone by the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Obviously Zovirax doesn't work. That girl with the bike helmet on the TV ad has been plagued with coldsores for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

well im sucked in by Advertising but that Compeed Patch looks good.
    Anyone tried it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

connundrum As far as I know they can't be transferred - either you have the 'virus' or you don't...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY&feature=related

http://www2.vhi.ie/topic/coldsores#s7

Incidentally, I've never been able to tell for certain if I have the virus or not... shaving related spots in the lip region always seem like it and prevent kissing, but often I've wondered if I have the actual virus or not.

Also; don't go down on her.
    Face herpes = inconvenient, acceptable.
    Non face herpes = grounds for dismissal from relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

dab aftershave/perfume on it every couple of hours over the day, this should dry it out and help it clear quicker. It'll still take 2 or 3 days but imo it works better than zovirax or any of those creams.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ZOVIRAX - Get it on asap, if it has already come to a blister get blistize
    Niamho! wrote: »
    Anyone tried it??

i have tried them but i have seen other people wearing them, they look awful and kinda peel away from your mouth, so you look like your skin is falling off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

Anyone tried it??

yea my boyfriend tried those... you cant really see them and he found that they worked really well, if you start using them early enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Hold a piece of Ice on it ..the cold should kill the virus.
    Or a coke can if it's easier to hold :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

connundrum wrote: »
    As far as I know they can't be transferred - either you have the 'virus' or you don't... or maybe that was aids :confused:

Zovirax should do something, failing that, take some fine sandpaper to your face ;)

it is transferred by physical contact kissing, touching etc and also cups, glasses, towels anything that comes in contact with blister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

yea my boyfriend tried those... you cant really see them and he found that they worked really well, if you start using them early enough!

They cover it up nicely and because its kept sterile it does heal very quick I have found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I find cotton wool dipped in boiled salt water held against the blister also works quite well. I think you're stuck with it for a few days minimum anyway. And the virus is very transferable - be careful with your lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Do not use any old wives remedies.

Just get some zovirax or that compeed one (which hides it, so you can kiss your girlfriend without her knowing that you have herpes. At least that's the impression I got from the ad).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Zovirax and most of the other stuff you get in chemists only really work when a coldsore is stating to appear. They're pre-emptive strike typ of thing. Using ice on them always works for me, but don't hold the ice there for too long or you'll damage your lips. Just hold it there for about 10 seconds, take it away and then repeat for a while.

Failing that, a biker helmet will hide it, as shown in the ad.

Actually, what I found funny was that on the packets of coldsore cream, they tell you to apply the cream to the infected area every 4 hours for 5 days. But a coldsore only lasts about 5 days. So does the cream actually do nothing, just provide a placebo effect? Ok, it's not exactly funny in the usual "comical" sense, but it is funny in the "odd" sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Free advice from those nice people at the VHI

VHI Link to Cold Sores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Anyone tried it??

i've been using these for the past year whenever a cold sore pops up and there are brill bit a little on the dear side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Ok, Blisterman on the case here.
    Cold sores are caused by the herpes virus, and can be transferred by kissing.
    However anyone, who has ever gotten cold sores, has the virus.
    Just keep it above the waist.

Advertisement