Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accountancy Summer Work

• 30-01-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey lads,
    I'm currently in first year of a Law&Accounting degree here in U.L and am hoping to gain a bit of experience in the trade during the summer.
    I'm just curious as to the method I'd go about approaching a small practice (I live in Co.Galway) regarding what to apply for, i.e would the job title be solely slave and workhorse:p!
    The type of work I'd be expecting would merely be day book entries and such simple associated procedures!
    Any advice would be appreciated...cheers lads and lassies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

contact the big 4 hr departments. they all have summer internship programmes and satellite offices all around the country. Also they recruit from these interns. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

Im wondering what kind of pay one could expect for a Summer job in one of these companies. I would image it would be very very little???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Donkey-07

well it cant get much worse than my minimum wage number in the mighty chain that is supervalu!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Randy Katana

actually it could get a lot worse seen as some accountants start off on as little as 11k so I hear. And we are just talkin Summer work here. ANYONE???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's not too bad here (big 4) and starting wage for accountants here is about 24K so I reckon it's about 400 a week for an intern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

Go to www.accaglobal.com and “find an accountant” type in Galway and you will get a list of any accounting firms with an ACCA partner in Galway with e-mail addresses. Many firms are really keen to take on people for Summer work, it gives then a chance to try before they buy (i.e. offer you a full time job when you finish college). While you are likely to be the tea and coffee maker and filing person, you should get some basic accounting experience – bank reconciliations and data entry onto Sage. Any accounting experience (as opposed to filing and making the tea) you get can count towards your 3 years experience with ACCA and CPA but not ACA.

Be up front with them, and say that you are just looking for experience. The 3 months work will also make you much more employable after college. Expect the minimum wage or possibly even less than the minimum wage (you can legally be paid less than the minimum wage when “training”).

Advertisement