Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland rolls out 8Mb broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Anybody know which areas will be covered by Phase Two in June '08?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

is that on BT Irelands business service where they have their own equipment in specific exhcanges or is it on selected exchanges using eircoms equipment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

8-MB isn't exactly "ultra-fast" ... in fact its slow compared to a lot of countries :(

The whole article smacks as a press release. They started doing this weeks ago, and the majority of people won't get it till Jun '08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Wicknight wrote: »
    8-MB isn't exactly "ultra-fast" ... in fact its slow compared to a lot of countries :(

The whole article smacks as a press release. They started doing this weeks ago, and the majority of people won't get it till Jun '08

No offense but I don't understand this logic. I agree it's not ultra fast and I know they've been trialling it for a while but the way you post you seem to think it would be better they don't promote this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I think Wicknights point is that they are talking about the product like its cutting edge, its not.............

"Speeds of up to 8Mb will literally transform the experience that consumers and businesses will have over the internet,"

"All members of the household can now go online and carry out multiple activities – shopping, online gaming in real time, watching movies just like on TV, making internet calls, web chat as if your friends are there with you in the living room - simultaneously, and at lightning speed."

WOW great, I was getting this almost 4 years ago in England, and that country is classes as a broadband backwater by many.

Not that I am blaming BT of course, we all know the problem in this country, they have the tech in place to give people real ADSL2 speeds now, but why would they do that when they can give small upgrades over the next few years and keep charging high prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

in fairness to BT it is cutting edge here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Riskymove wrote: »
    in fairness to BT it is cutting edge here in Ireland

only if you have a blunt knife...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Well i think the one thing that people should remember is that BT's 8mb service is pretty much as good as some are going to get in selected areas. Lets not forget the very obvious price differences between BT's 8mb package and Eircoms 12mb package (fastest residential package in Ireland). BT 8mb broadband only 42.50 a month versus Eircoms 12mb broadband only at about 165.00 ex Vat a month. So if you want to bitch a moan about it not being cutting edge go ahead alternatively you can write Santa and ask him to upgrade your exchange to ADSL2+ and jumper you for a nice 25mb line.

The BT product is great for the money when you dont have the option of Magnet or Smart in your area or any of the high speed fixed wireless providers. Just remember its not "Cutting Edge" .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Earl

Well I called about this again, and it seems as though they are updating the line only for people who have their line rental with BT as well. Customers who just use them for broadband aren't getting the upgrade until much later in the year. The only way to get it if you are just a broadband customer is to cancel your current subscription, and order the 8meg boadband and line rental package. Could be up to 6 weeks without broadband as well.

Didn't quite believe this myself, so I rang them twice and was told the same thing each time. Pretty damn crappy if you ask me and a great way to reward broadband customers who've been with them for years. Bah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Earl wrote: »
    Well I called about this again, and it seems as though they are updating the line only for people who have their line rental with BT as well. Customers who just use them for broadband aren't getting the upgrade until much later in the year. The only way to get it if you are just a broadband customer is to cancel your current subscription, and order the 8meg boadband and line rental package. Could be up to 6 weeks without broadband as well.

Didn't quite believe this myself, so I rang them twice and was told the same thing each time. Pretty damn crappy if you ask me and a great way to reward broadband customers who've been with them for years. Bah!!

Thats because its a LLU product but they should be able to port you without you having cancel existing subscriptions. Smart are now able to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

On a side note Eircom keep ringing me offering me lightning fast 2Mb broadband + calls; for a higher cost than BT's package I am on (3Mb and all calls).

BT have also sorted out quite a few of their Customer support issues and you can now make it through to their Custmer service 1 time in 3 rather than the 1 in 10 it was previously.

They may be bad but Eircom are worse. If Eircom offered me 8Mb for the same price as the BT 3Mb I'd be gone in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

there is alot of bad information on this thread looking at it and maybe it should be clarified that if you wanted to be included in the upgrade all you have to do is upgrade to the 3mb bundle package if you are an existing customer.. there will be no need to cancel any service and wait for "6 weeks" as a couple people stated so you really need to stop the panic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Big Chief wrote: »
    there is alot of bad information on this thread looking at it and maybe it should be clarified that if you wanted to be included in the upgrade all you have to do is upgrade to the 3mb bundle package if you are an existing customer.. there will be no need to cancel any service and wait for "6 weeks" as a couple people stated so you really need to stop the panic :)

anybody know how long it takes? and is there any down time?

*EDIT*

I took the bull by the horns and rang. (it only took me a few minutes to get through :eek:)

This what I was told.

They are going to automatically upgrade anyone who has 3meg BB and line rental with them in the coming few months with no downtime.

If you want 8meg now you will have to cancel your BB and reconnect with a reconnection fee of 50 quid and wait at least 4-6 weeks for reconnection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Auvers wrote: »
    anybody know how long it takes? and is there any down time?

*EDIT*

I took the bull by the horns and rang. (it only took me a few minutes to get through :eek:)

This what I was told.

They are going to automatically upgrade anyone who has 3meg BB and line rental with them in the coming few months with no downtime.

If you want 8meg now you will have to cancel your BB and reconnect with a reconnection fee of 50 quid and wait at least 4-6 weeks for reconnection

thanks for that , saves me from having to ring about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Big Chief wrote:
    there is alot of bad information on this thread looking at it and maybe it should be clarified that if you wanted to be included in the upgrade all you have to do is upgrade to the 3mb bundle package if you are an existing customer.. there will be no need to cancel any service and wait for "6 weeks" as a couple people stated so you really need to stop the panic
    When this thread started, yesterday, people were talking about BT's LLU 8Mbps product as eircom had not yet announced their intention to upgrade the exchanges. Today, you are correct, anyone on 3Mbps now will be upgraded over the coming months.
    Auvers wrote: »

The automatic upgrade, will be for everyone currently on BT's 3Mbps (eircom wholesale) and will occur whenever eircom upgrade/activate the equipment in the exchange you're on. This is scheduled to occur over the coming months (though eircom haven't said if it will happen in all the currently enabled exchanges). This will still be an eircom wholesale product. You'll also presumably need an ADSL2+ capable modem. People on the old Zyxel Prestige 623R modems, that BT have been giving out for years, will need to buy a new one.

BT's own 8MBps LLU product is only available to a select few, and with eircom upgrading their equipment to ADSL2+ it probably means that BT won't bother doing any more exchanges. To avail of this now, there'll be downtime involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I was onto BT yesterday and they are now saying March/April for automatic upgrade or 4 weeks downtime. I know to well the next person could be told something different and the above post sounds very plausible. I'm on the Dolphin's Barn exchange, so I was contacted in December and told that if I changed my line rental to BT I would be upgraded in January. Ha Ha Ha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I rang to enquire last Tues and was told that my exchange (Crumlin) was upgraded to 8mb and that they could have me upgraded in 48 hours with no downtime if I moved up to the rental for the 3mb package so of course I said go ahead.

I got them to double check that I could definitely get 8mb and would have no downtime as I have heard that their customer service tend to give the easy answers sometimes... I was even put through to tech support to confirm it.

Still no sign of any change on Friday so rang again. This time I was speaking to a guy in Sales and he laughed when I told him I was being upgraded, he said the Crumlin exchange is not going to be upgraded till March. I told him to cancel the upgrade and he said I should ring customer care, kick up a fuss and get 3mb for the price of 2mb for next two mths so I did and got that.

Yesterday, a week later, still no sign of upgrade to 3mb so I rang again and was told that they would push through the order and guarantee it would be done before 5pm...

This morning, still no upgrade. I rang again and was told it is an Eircom problem and I would get a call back by this evening. At least the time to get through to their cust care number is shorter than it used to be but their customer service is sketchy at best...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Does anyone know which exchanges will be unbudled in phase 2 (and when)?

the article in OP claims phase 2 will start in June, but philcsl says he was told the Crumlin exchange (which is not on the phase 1 list) will be unbundled in March....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

is it just people who don't get line rental from BT who are having mad delays? I get the total talk 2mb package with line rental and am hoping to upgrade to 8mb if i'm eligible (in Killiney; hoping to get on the Dun l exchange).

I take it i'd need to upgrade the modem aswell as i only have the wired ZyXEL prestige 600 series

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Got a call from a guy in BT there earlier, and he explained that the Swords exchange is set up for 8MB so if I switched over to BT line rental I would be upgraded and he specifically mentioned there is no more 4 week delay, should only take a few days to take effect...

Hmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

bealtine wrote: »
    only if you have a blunt knife...

pwnd, anyway i cant afford to pay over 35 a month solely for broadband, i can forecast an approx 45+ - 50 for this, too much !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I have a Netopia 3347NWG wi-fi router and I'm currently on BT's 3MB package. Once the 8MB switchover happens will the Netopia router I have be able to handle the increased speed or does it matter?

Also I have the Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI adaptor in my laptop (it's a Dell Inspiron 9200 - bout 3 years old) and I'm just wondering if I change my wi'fi router to a faster one will the wireless card in my laptop be able to connect to it as it seems to only to be able to handle 802.11 a abd 802.11b frequencies?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

I have a Netopia 3347NWG wi-fi router and I'm currently on BT's 3MB package. Once the 8MB switchover happens will the Netopia router I have be able to handle the increased speed or does it matter?
    I have a Netopia 3347NWG wi-fi router as well (from eircom) and have BT's 3Mb package and line rental also with BT. I seem to have got the upgrade already - the router's control panel shows between 7000 and 8000kbps down and 512kbps up. I'm on the Dun Laoghaire exchange.

But here's the problem: it is very difficult to connect. I have DSL sync but I don't get an IP address. If I keep hitting "Restart Connection" I might get connected after ~10 goes. After that everything is fine.

Does anybody have any ideas what's causing the problem? I've upgraded the firmware to 7.5.0 (the latest eircom supports). Do you think the latest firmware would help? Is it risky to upgrade? I believe 3347NWG supports ADSL2. Could this be an issue?

The problem is there even if I remove the phone and microfilter from the connection point.

Strangely, it's all working perfectly with a ZyXEL Prestige 623, but that has no wireless. (7616 down, 512 up.)
    Noise margin up: 20db
    Attenuation up: 22.5db
    Noise margin down: 7db
    Attenuation down: 39.5db
    How do these figures (for the Prestige) look?

Does anybody have any suggestions for fixing the Netopia?

Thanks,
    F

I have a Netopia 3347NWG wi-fi router as well (from eircom) and have BT's 3Mb package and line rental also with BT. I seem to have got the upgrade already - the router's control panel shows between 7000 and 8000kbps down and 512kbps up. I'm on the Dun Laoghaire exchange.

But here's the problem: it is very difficult to connect. I have DSL sync but I don't get an IP address. If I keep hitting "Restart Connection" I might get connected after ~10 goes. After that everything is fine.

Does anybody have any ideas what's causing the problem? I've upgraded the firmware to 7.5.0 (the latest eircom supports). Do you think the latest firmware would help? Is it risky to upgrade? I believe 3347NWG supports ADSL2. Could this be an issue?

The problem is there even if I remove the phone and microfilter from the connection point.

Strangely, it's all working perfectly with a ZyXEL Prestige 623, but that has no wireless. (7616 down, 512 up.)
    Noise margin up: 20db
    Attenuation up: 22.5db
    Noise margin down: 7db
    Attenuation down: 39.5db
    How do these figures (for the Prestige) look?

Does anybody have any suggestions for fixing the Netopia?

Thanks,
    F

So the "automatic switch over" to the 8mb package has started already - I wonder when it'll happen in Swords? In relation to your firmware the version I have is 7.6.0r4 which I found on Netopia's website - it wasn't that easy to find but it is supported by the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

In relation to your firmware the version I have is 7.6.0r4 which I found on Netopia's website - it wasn't that easy to find but it is supported by the router.
    Is this the firmware you mean? Did you install it yourself?

Is this the firmware you mean? Did you install it yourself?

Yeah, I think that's it. It was a while ago when I installed it. There was a list of routers and a list of firmware and it gave what routers the firmware was compatible with.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Right I was just on to BT Ireland about upgrading to the 8Mb package. I am currently on the 3 Mb with line rental from them. I was told that I could cancel BB with them and reapply for the LLU product.

There would be downtime of at least 2 weeks OR I could just sit tight and everyone on 3Mb package with line rental will be upgraded automatically, The time frame he gave was "pretty soon".

There are 100 customers receiving the LLU 8 Mb package at the moment to test it etc.

The person I spoke to said the Eircom announcement of increased speeds is different as that is adsl2 and the BT product will be LLU. Don't know the difference just sticking that in for your info.:o

Just need to know how long is "pretty soon":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Just realised my DSL modem is quite old
    Its a ZyXEL Prestige 623R T1. Would I need my modem changed for this LLU to work?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Mine is a ZyXel prestige 660HW-D1. I asked the person I was speaking to at BT and he said it would be fine.

I had a look at the ZyXel nsite and could not find your modem. Heres the link.

http://www.zyxel.com/web/ Hope its of some help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Yeah I had a look and cant find it there either....

Advertisement