Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland rolls out 8Mb broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

gar wrote: »
    Just realised my DSL modem is quite old
    Its a ZyXEL Prestige 623R T1. Would I need my modem changed for this LLU to work?

I have exactly this modem and it's working fine for me with BT's 8Mb service.

Anybody have any ideas on my Netopia problems (above)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

theyre advertising it saying people can be on doing multiple things, i.e playing online and surfing the web. I'm on 3mb now and anytime anyone even goes on the net i get lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Will BTs LLU have any significant postive effect on latency, interleaving etc?

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Any one gotten the 8Mb broadband in Naas yet?

Cheers,

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

My 8Mb line just got enabled there today. w00t!!! now to test it out.

Here is what my stock "Voyager 210" modem says:

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time
    Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:07:00:22
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 2

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 8124 Kbps 507 Kbps
    Noise Margin 32.6 dB 31.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 8.0 dB 3.0 dB
    Output Power 11.1 dBm 0.0 dBm

... and a quick speedtest:

240034252.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

L31mr0d wrote: »

240034252.png

Impressive stats :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

240034252.png

Did you request this or was it automatic, did you experience any dowtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Looking at those stats and without tempting fate, the only time i could see you getting problems would be if the voyager needed replacing or a problem in your area. I dont think you would see better stats posted here.

Enjoy :)

Did you request this or was it automatic, did you experience any dowtime

I requested it. I was on the 2Mb/s package and rang to upgrade, they said I could move over instantly to the 3Mb/s package and get upgraded to 8Mb/s at a later date, or upgrade to 8Mb/s and have 2 weeks downtime. I took the downtime (I have unlimited internet access in work) It took them about a week to disconnect my old line and then I had exactly 2 weeks of downtime (14 days ago today my line got disconnected)

btw, why is this line so good? Is it because the noise margin is so high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

higher noise = good
    lower attenuation = good

Here's my stats, something similar:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 25.00 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 5.00 3.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

Jealous of u and your 8meg tho :D

• Advertisement

so how is it mr? shudnt u be getting 800kb,

god sounds amazing :D

Placebo wrote: »
    so how is it mr? shudnt u be getting 800kb,

god sounds amazing :D

DSL Technology has overheads so you never get quite what you sync at.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Low attenuation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

240034252.png

Good stuff! Very impressive stats! I'm also in Swords and on the BT 3MB package. I think I'll wait for the "automatic" switchover whenever it happens.

One thing is my line stats are rubbish and I wonder will I be even able to get the 8MB?:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 51.0 db 31.5 db
    Noise Margin 10.9 db 14.0 db

One thing is my line stats are rubbish and I wonder will I be even able to get the 8MB?:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 51.0 db 31.5 db
    Noise Margin 10.9 db 14.0 db

shouldn't your line stats change once they make the change over? I mean aren't BT plumbing in fibre optic cables at the exchanges? Your attenuation and margin should change once they connect you onto that line.

I'm very happy with the line, was getting a steady 830KB/s download last night. It's crazy, I remember when I was getting ~7KB/s and I was over the moon (one of my friends gave me the access details for Gateways internet connection). Ah those where the days, spending an entire friday night to download 2 songs off naptster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Hey L31mr0d did you ask anything about if they are going to increase the usage cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

shouldn't your line stats change once they make the change over? I mean aren't BT plumbing in fibre optic cables at the exchanges? Your attenuation and margin should change once they connect you onto that line.

Your line stats are a measurement of the condition of your phoneline from your house to the exchange, nothing else. Every ISP uses fibre as backhaul out of the exchange so that makes no difference to your line stats. If they don't have their own fibre they use Eircoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Auvers wrote: »
    Hey L31mr0d did you ask anything about if they are going to increase the usage cap?

ditto

Auvers wrote: »

nope... i've never cared about it and never will. I've been at least quadrupling my usuage cap on every DSL line i've had since I started on 512Kb/s back in 2000 and i've never had to pay an extra cent. In the last day i've used up at least 50GB on my 8Mb line.

My friend in work contacted BT looking for concrete information about if they will charge you for going over the cap and he was told that you won't be charged. In severe cases they will send out a warning letter with your bill the first time but you won't be charged, you will then be charged 1 cent per MB over your cap for each bill after that.

There are a few ISP's that do enforce it, but i'm smart enough to avoid them. So far Eircom and BT have never bothered to charge me. I guess they just have it written into the usage agreement so they can fall back on it in cases where people are maxing out there line 24/7

I'm just wondering if there is anyone on the Swords BT Exchange who has/had the 3MB package and has been "automatically" upgraded to 8MB without any warning?

• Advertisement

I'm very happy with the line, was getting a steady 830KB/s download last night. It's crazy, I remember when I was getting ~7KB/s and I was over the moon (one of my friends gave me the access details for Gateways internet connection). Ah those where the days, spending an entire friday night to download 2 songs off naptster.

Can you remember what your line stats were before you switched to 8MB? Were they as bad as mine?

50gb in a day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

Good stuff! Very impressive stats! I'm also in Swords and on the BT 3MB package. I think I'll wait for the "automatic" switchover whenever it happens.

I've just gone from BT's 2mb to 3mb so that I'll get "up to 8mb" when Eircom switch their gear in June (but hopefully before then?)

How do my line stats look in terms of quality? (i.e. do I have a good shot at the upper limit of the 8mb service?

From my Zyxel stats pages...

"Upstream Noise Margin"
    noise margin upstream: 20.0 db
    output power downstream: 19.0 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 16.0 db

"Downstream Noise Margin"
    noise margin downstream: 40.5 db
    output power upstream: 0.5 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 19.0 db

Upstream Speed: 384 kbps
    Downstream Speed: 3072 kbps

On a speed test I currently get ...
    241147552.png

tripswitch wrote: »
    I've just gone from BT's 2mb to 3mb so that I'll get "up to 8mb" when Eircom switch their gear in June (but hopefully before then?)

How do my line stats look in terms of quality? (i.e. do I have a good shot at the upper limit of the 8mb service?

From my Zyxel stats pages...

"Upstream Noise Margin"
    noise margin upstream: 20.0 db
    output power downstream: 19.0 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 16.0 db

noise margin downstream: 40.5 db
    output power upstream: 0.5 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 19.0 db

Upstream Speed: 384 kbps
    Downstream Speed: 3072 kbps

On a speed test I currently get ...
    241147552.png

They are super stats, do you live in the exchange? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 bat77

"Upstream Noise Margin"
    noise margin upstream: 16 db
    output power downstream: 6 db
    attenuation upstream: 29 db

noise margin downstream: 10 db
    output power upstream: 2 db
    attenuation downstream: 44 db

241195540.png

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bodan

Originally Posted by gar View Post
    Just realised my DSL modem is quite old
    Its a ZyXEL Prestige 623R T1. Would I need my modem changed for this LLU to work?
    I have exactly this modem and it's working fine for me with BT's 8Mb service.

i didnt think the ZyXEL Prestige 623R would work with the new 8mb service because its not a adsl 2 modem. The adsl 2 servers must be backwards compatible.

apparently im on the 2mb line :(

anyway heres details, says its available in my area from 10th dec, im assuming thats 2007 !!!

http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_8mb.shtml#

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

nope... i've never cared about it and never will. I've been at least quadrupling my usuage cap on every DSL line i've had since I started on 512Kb/s back in 2000 and i've never had to pay an extra cent. In the last day i've used up at least 50GB on my 8Mb line.

My friend in work contacted BT looking for concrete information about if they will charge you for going over the cap and he was told that you won't be charged. In severe cases they will send out a warning letter with your bill the first time but you won't be charged, you will then be charged 1 cent per MB over your cap for each bill after that.

There are a few ISP's that do enforce it, but i'm smart enough to avoid them. So far Eircom and BT have never bothered to charge me. I guess they just have it written into the usage agreement so they can fall back on it in cases where people are maxing out there line 24/7

For you to download 50 gb in 24 hours you must have been downloading at an average of 520 kBps how do you think your line sharing neightbours will be feeling about this?

Abusers will be taking into account, few go beyond common sense BT and possibly the rest of ISPs will change their policy and start punishing abusers, by logic is for the good of every user.

I wouldn't like someone taking 70% of my bandwidth 24/7, remember that we are "sharing" a line, so be warned!

Bodan wrote: »
    i didnt think the ZyXEL Prestige 623R would work with the new 8mb service because its not a adsl 2 modem. The adsl 2 servers must be backwards compatible.

I've the same modem and was told by BT last week that it'll work fine with their soon-to-arrive 8mb upgrade. Not their own LLU, but Eircom's scheduled upgrade. (I specifically asked whether I'd need a new modem/router and mentioned the Zyxel.)

It isn't ADSL2+ compatible according to this...
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/ZyXEL_Prestige_623R_T1__6202601
    but a quick wiki says that one of the ADSL standards it handles (G.DMT) can go up to 12mbs so I guess that's how Eircom are doing it.

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    They are super stats, do you live in the exchange? ;)

Not quite, but I bet I'm close! I'm on the Merrion exchange in a relatively new apartment block (c. 7 years old).

Anyone have an idea where exactly the Merrion exchange is?

Advertisement