Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland rolls out 8Mb broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

exiztone wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm using my own router here, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't support ADSL2+ :(

Neither does the Prestige 623! It doesn't have to be ADSL2+ to get 8Mb/s.

Given that the max throughput on good old ADSL is actually 12Mb/s (with optimum conditions) then it's possible for them to provide their "up to 8Mb/s" service over ADSL. Whether they're using ADSL2+ equipment at their end is irrelevant to you as it's backwards compatible with ADSL.

Consider this as BT "future proofing" their network, allowing them to offer up to 24Mb/s in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Well, if Dolphin's Barn has been upgraded, my modem isn't seeing it:

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin 18.8 17.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 24.0 16.0 dB
    Errored Seconds 0 0
    Loss of Signal 0 0
    Loss of Frame 0 0
    CRC Errors 0 0
    Data Rate 3072 384 kbps
    Latency INTERLEAVED INTERLEAVED

I rebooted the modem just to make sure.

Are BT doing any kind of modem replacement scheme if you still have the old one?

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I have the BT Voyager 210 which they sent me when I was having dns issues two months ago. Hope you get upgraded soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

ceejay wrote: »
    Well, if Dolphin's Barn has been upgraded, my modem isn't seeing it:

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin 18.8 17.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 24.0 16.0 dB
    Errored Seconds 0 0
    Loss of Signal 0 0
    Loss of Frame 0 0
    CRC Errors 0 0
    Data Rate 3072 384 kbps
    Latency INTERLEAVED INTERLEAVED

I rebooted the modem just to make sure.

Are BT doing any kind of modem replacement scheme if you still have the old one?

Ciarán.

Yesterday I tested me line with an ADSL2+ modem just to be sure, same results. Don't think my line is upgraded :(

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Checked my usage and its at 0 as they have reset it as of yesterday's upgrade.

• Advertisement

Oh cool, I've finally been upgraded. I got scared for a while there :)

It's funny, I get two different results depending on the modem I put in.

ZyXEL ADSL2+ Router
    Upstream: 507 kbps
    Downstream: 8128 kbps
    245361301.png

D-Link ADSL1 Router
    Upstream: 512 Kbps
    Downstream: 8064 Kbps
    245362667.png

Any clues why they're telling me different speeds and which is the correct one ? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Any clues why they're telling me different speeds and which is the correct one ? :o

The fastest one of course.:p

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The fastest one of course.:p

But one has a faster upload and the other has a faster download :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But one has a faster upload and the other has a faster download :P

A few kilobits here or there is nothing to lose sleep over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I think I've been upgraded too. I was on BT's fatest package and I was using a Netgear router instead of BT's. Yesterday evening my connection went down even though everything looked fine with my router. I rang BT and they suggested I use the BT router so I hooked that up, got a new password and it worked fine. The broadband speed seemed faster so I ran a few speed tests and I got similar numbers to exiztone.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

still no upgrade for me in swords :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

A few kilobits here or there is nothing to lose sleep over.

no one would have said that 5 years ago ;)

5-6kb = WOW

btw i just rang to switch and they said blanchardstown [contrary to their website] exchange is still being updated and will take 2 months to get 8mb.

Wtf? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Placebo wrote: »
    btw i just rang to switch and they said blanchardstown [contrary to their website] exchange is still being updated and will take 2 months to get 8mb.

hmm that sounds a bit odd , i was going to ring them during the week and get switched over to there equipment ( and take the downtime ) instead of waiting for the eircom upgrade .

i'll have to give them a call and see what they say.

yeah do, some of them are ignorant as in missinformed and just give out the wrong information to save face. so do ring up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Hmmmm, I wonder if BT will increase the DL cap too? at 8mb it'd be easy enough to fly past 30gb fairly sharpish :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Anyone confirm the date for the 2mb upgrade to 3mb? or is it still *just June*?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Any word on Limerick exchanges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Just Dooradoyle at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It was the same with me in Swords, I don't know how many exchanges are out here but it took ages for them to get around to upgrading my line to accept the new packages. A few of my friends in Swords where able to get the 8Mb service before me as well. So i'm guessing when they say "Swords" or "Blanchardstown" it doesn't necessarily mean all of this area, just that at least one exchange has been upgraded and tested.

• Advertisement

true but he asked for my phone number so i'm assuming my 'area' is yet to be upgaded.
    damn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

true but he asked for my phone number so i'm assuming my 'area' is yet to be upgraded.
    damn...

i was onto BT today for 35 minutes and i talked to a total of four people about getting upgraded to 8 meg .

the information i have from them is :

"they have a time slot in the blanchardstown exchange for the first 2 weeks in April and they will be upgrading everyone on the 3 meg to the 8 meg once your line can take it , and if your line can not take 8 meg it will be left at 3 meg ".

time will tell if this happens or not .

I know the crowd i work for have been doing a rollout for <INSERT LEADING BB PROVIDER HERE> (can't say too much, non disclosure and all that) but they're feeding 30mb BB into homes through the powerlines (apparently) only selected areas mind you, but goes to show that the tech is there, they just want to bleed us dry for a another while before giving Joe Public "the next amazing upgrade"

robbers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I know the crowd i work for have been doing a rollout for <INSERT LEADING BB PROVIDER HERE> (can't say too much, non disclosure and all that) but they're feeding 30mb BB into homes through the powerlines (apparently) only selected areas mind you, but goes to show that the tech is there, they just want to bleed us dry for a another while before giving Joe Public "the next amazing upgrade"

ESB were on about this years ago, so it's now got the go ahead ?

I think they've had the ability to do it for a while now (according to the lads i work with in the north, the republic had broadband before they did, but now you can get a 10meg line for £30 a month!!!) so you have to wonder what's been holding them back eh?

I'm fairly sure that it will hit the mainstream news fairly soon (i know there were rumblings about it a few months back) and the service provided is actually fairly good, at the moment i think only employees are eligible for the service, but no doubt it will expand.

i realise that my contribution has been a bit off topic, but it just bothers me that we're (including me) excited about getting 8meg broadband when the ability is there to provide a much faster service (don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining about getting an upgrade to 8meg :D) but i'm fairly sure that if given the choice, there's a good few people that would select a 20meg line over an 8meg line, or even a 10meg one over an 8meg.

Maybe some ppl will say i'm being unappreciative, maybe they're right, i don't know, i don't mean to be, it's like eddie hobbs said (not a huge fan of his but this stuck in my head lol)

"mary harney says we should shop around to get the best prices.... well, have you ever tried shopping around for electricity?" :D love that quote

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭DesertFox

Yeah such a shame broadband in Ireland is still lagging behind the rest, the government should put some money into bringing a proper broadband service to everyone in Ireland.

Here in Germany I'm using cable in a small town and get 30mb

225449604.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yes Eamonn 'Green' Ryans plan to roll out 1Mb broabdband to everyone in the country by the end of the year is highly ambitious. Saw him on Prime Time and he came across as if he has not got a notion. Poor old Eamonn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Are BT upgrading or are Eircom? I pay Digiweb for DSL and got an email from them this morning:

Dear JHMEG,

Over the next few of months you'll be able to surf and download much quicker. Digiweb will increase your broadband speed and in many cases double the speed of your connection - absolutely free of charge.

Current Speed: DSL XTRA 3Mb
    New Speed: Up to Up to 7.6Mb!

We will confirm the full details of this exciting upgrade in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

JHMEG wrote: »
    Are BT upgrading or are Eircom? I pay Digiweb for DSL and got an email from them this morning:

Dear JHMEG,

Over the next few of months you'll be able to surf and download much quicker. Digiweb will increase your broadband speed and in many cases double the speed of your connection - absolutely free of charge.

Current Speed: DSL XTRA 3Mb
    New Speed: Up to Up to 7.6Mb!

We will confirm the full details of this exciting upgrade in the coming months.

Eircom are upgrading the speeds so as a consequence all the resellers including BT, Digiweb, UTV & the rest are upgrading aswell.

BT are also upgrading/rolling out their own LLU BB but thats a separate matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

Is that anything to do with the ESB trial in Tuam two years ago? According to the doc below, "Vendor 2" was doing up to 34mbit over power lines in Galway. Seems like a very small scale proof of concept test, no doubt things have moved on since then.

Info in a pdf (of a powerpoint) here... http://url.ie/ao4
    (via google search on "site:.ie esb broadband power line trial")

PS "robbers :(" seconded!

Advertisement