Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland rolls out 8Mb broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

splinter wrote: »
    still no upgrade for me in swords :(

I'm pretty sure that you have to have your line rental with them to be part of the automatic upgrade - just in case you don't and you're waiting like...

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

http://www.btireland.ie/8mb
    http://www.btireland.ie/pop_8mb.shtml

Beggar's Bush exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 4, Parts of Ballsbridge, Parts of Sandymount, Irishtown, Ringsend

Blanchardstown exchange available from w/c 10th December:
    Dublin 15 areas, Blanchardstown, Mulhuddart, Coolmine, Huntstown, Clonsilla, Carpenterstown, parts of Castleknock

Clondalkin exchange:
    Clondalkin, Nangor Road, Ronanstown

Crown Alley exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 2, Temple Bar, Trinity College area, South Docklands area, Ringsend Road

Dolphin's Barn exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 8, Cork Street, Thomas Street, The Coombe, The Liberties

Douglas Co.Cork:
    COMING SOON

Dooradoyle exchange:
    Dooradoyle, Co Limerick

Dun Laoghaire exchange:
    Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin

Merrion exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 2, Merrion Square, Kildare St., Leeson St., Holles St., Grand Canal St.

Naas exchange:
    Naas, Co Kildare

North Main exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 1, O Connell St., Smithfield

Summerhill exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 1, Summerhill, Portland Row, Amiens St., East Wall,
    parts of Fairview

Swords exchange:
    Swords Co. Dublin

Tallaght exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 24, Tallaght, Kilnamanagh, Old Bawn, Firhouse,
    Tymon North, Kingswood, Greenhills

Terenure exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 6W, Terenure, Bushy Park, parts of Rathfarnham

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

JNive wrote: »
    http://www.btireland.ie/8mb
    http://www.btireland.ie/pop_8mb.shtml

Blanchardstown exchange available from w/c 10th December:
    Dublin 15 areas, Blanchardstown, Mulhuddart, Coolmine, Huntstown, Clonsilla, Carpenterstown, parts of Castleknock

Im in that exact area and they said not till july

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

I think this list is of exchanges where BT have their own equipment in the exchange (i.e. local loop unbundled). i.e. even if you're a BT customer with line-rental from them, you have to specifically request that BT move your line from Eircom's equipment to theirs - requiring a bit more downtime.

The upgrades that people are referring to on this thread are the ones that Eircom are carrying out. (And that effect all their broadband resellers' customers who are still on Eircom equipment - including BT's customers.)

e.g. my line is in the Merrion exchange, is 3mb from BT (including line rental) but is still physically connected to Eircom's equipment - hence I haven't been upgraded yet - because Eircom obviously havn't done that exchange yet.

(edit to clarify line rental issue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

cyburger wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that you have to have your line rental with them to be part of the automatic upgrade - just in case you don't and you're waiting like...

I still have no upgrade and I have my line rental and 3meg BB with BT in Swords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Shred

Guys,

I've been keeping an eye on this thread as a friend of mine (we're both in Swords) is with BT and he's waiting for the upgrade to happen. He actually switched from Eircom to BT recently to avail of the upgrade, but I'm now seeing on this thread that Eircom are upgrading some exchanges, is Swords one of these? I'm with UTV myself and was considering switching to BT to get 8Mb but if Eircom are upgrading Swords then I won't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Eircom are upgrading all of their exchanges. You will be able to get 7.6 m/bit with Eircom by June hopefully.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Praetorian wrote: »
    Eircom are upgrading all of their exchanges. You will be able to get 7.6 m/bit with Eircom by June hopefully.
    All their broadband enabled exchanges. All their exchanges would indicate that they were upgrading every exchange including the ones that aren't currently enabled for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

still stupidly expensive for what it is.

US have 5/2Mbps Fibre connection for about 20€/mo With 20/20Mbps easily available too.. for I'd say about the same price as we pay for 3mb if not much more.. :pac:

Praetorian wrote: »

Deadly, I'll make the change over to 3Mb myself so! Looks like my friend moved to BT unnecessarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

All their broadband enabled exchanges. All their exchanges would indicate that they were upgrading every exchange including the ones that aren't currently enabled for broadband.

Indeed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Shred wrote: »
    Deadly, I'll make the change over to 3Mb myself so! Looks like my friend moved to BT unnecessarily.
    Might be just me but I would wait and see what happens before changing. Yes eircom are going to upgrade people on 3meg to 7.6, but nothing has been mentioned of what technology is going to be used. I personally think that if BT have gone to the trouble of unbundling exchanges that they would want to provide more than what eircom are doing. And since Bt announced their 8meg before Eircom announced their speed increases it is not outside the realms of possibility that BT might go for faster speeds before Eircoms speed increases happen.

Well I've been considering changing over to 3Mb for a while now and I am kinda reluctant to move from UTV tbh (been a solid and steady service for the past 4 years). Although I probably would have moved if BT or another operator were they only ISP offering the upgrade to 8Mb on my exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

Shred wrote: »

BT use eircom exchanges, so he should still get the speed increase too?

That's right, but he only moved to BT as he thought they were the only operator offering 8Mb through LLU. He could have stayed with Eircom if he had known they would be rolling out 8Mb also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My father recently got 3MB BT BB installed in his business, he was informed that they hope to have the 8MB in our area by June/early July. I was quite surprised - do you think it could be later?

Im in Newport, North Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

My father recently got 3MB BT BB installed in his business, he was informed that they hope to have the 8MB in our area by June/early July. I was quite surprised - do you think it could be later?

Im in Newport, North Tipp.

I wouldn’t be surprised to be honest. I heard that BT hope to have all there customers on LLU within a year so upgrades are on going all the time. They will have more control the service and not have to report to eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone hear anything about 8mb on the Balbriggan exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Looks like the Blanchardstown Exchange got upgraded last night

[IMG][/img]252478364.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm on the swords exchange and still haven't been upgraded :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm on the swords exchange and still haven't been upgraded :mad:
    same as myself :( still waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Looks like the Blanchardstown Exchange got upgraded last night

still no change for me :( , congrats on your upgrade though .

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

It'll be 2009 by the time it gets to my side of the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

just got upgraded to 8meg on the Swords exchange :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Auvers wrote: »
    just got upgraded to 8meg on the Swords exchange :)

I think you just got the connection they throttled off me :(

I had heard that Eircom were pushing forward their speed increases to business customers and today our 6Mb line got upgraded in Finglas.

However we had to deal with 3 hours of downtime or reduced service.

Even support did not know about the upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

I live in the Dublin 3 area, i use Summerhills exchange. It's listed as been upgraded but BT can't give me a time frame..

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Just got upgraded to 8MB on the Blanchardstown exchange.

Mind you, the only way I found out about it was when my connection went down altogether, I have a total of 7 callbacks before they contacted me, they got an engineer to check the line, fixed it, then suddenly my password wasn't working. I ring up and the tech support guy says "oh yeah we forgot to mail you about the password reset" .

So be warned. I'm happy to be upgraded, but I didn't appreciate the 2 days of downtime it took, without any warning at all.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

clubcrown wrote: »
    then suddenly my password wasn't working. I ring up and the tech support guy says "oh yeah we forgot to mail you about the password reset" .

same thing happened to me, when I rang up he was like "oh did we not ring you already? oh well yeah we've changed your username and password, sorry about that".

• Advertisement

Did they say why they were changing the passwords?

Mine is still the same.

Advertisement