Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland rolls out 8Mb broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I had heard that Eircom were pushing forward their speed increases to business customers and today our 6Mb line got upgraded in Finglas.

However we had to deal with 3 hours of downtime or reduced service.

Even support did not know about the upgrades.

Are you talking about your Eircom line being upgraded / or BT?
    The Finglas exchange is not on the BT LLU list at the moment or are you on the Blanch exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Did they say why they were changing the passwords?

Mine is still the same.

Nope, no explanation. I asked the guy to reset it for me, he tells me he can't do it himself and I'd have to call another number for the password reset (!) so I argued with him and he did it anyway. I wasn't going to wait another 2 days :-)

Its a fantastic product technically, but they need to sort out their support and billing people. If they did that, then they would be the perfect provider.

Thats the first downtime I've had in over 18 months - it should have been only a couple of hours, but because of their messed up procedures it was 2 days.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

heard of a friend around the corner from me in swords upgraded to 8mb last night but im still waiting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm in Swords and appear to have been upgraded...

254583672.png

Blacknight says:
    Download speed 5760 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 434 Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 94 %
    Maximum delay 99 ms
    Round trip time 34 ms
    Upstream jitter 15.5 ms
    Upstream packet loss 7 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %

I'm getting just over 700KB/s on a rapideshare download.

Appears they've doubled my 3Mb connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Cats and Pigeons etc. I'm on BT 3M, living in Ranelagh (on Rathmines Exchange).

254595386.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

Cats and Pigeons etc. I'm on BT 3M, living in Ranelagh (on Rathmines Exchange).

254595386.png

I think you're two days late with this post!

tripswitch wrote: »
    I think you're two days late with this post!

That one weny way over my little head, in the meantime things are a little less rosy.

254604258.png

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

That one weny way over my little head, in the meantime things are a little less rosy.

254604258.png

I was implying that your original speedtest image was more appropriate for April 1st.

Why are you getting those speeds on a 3mb package?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

254604258.png

Are you loadbalancing 2 8Mb lines or something? Or have you bought a 24Mb package?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

254604258.png

Are you saying the Rathmines exchange work is underway?

• Advertisement

kmick wrote: »
    Are you saying the Rathmines exchange work is underway?

I've no idea what's going on. I'm on their home 3mb package. I was downloading an 82mb update for some software, and I noticed that it happened rather quickly, so I did a speedtest. I suspect that it's just a temporary blip (but at least it's in my favour) :)

Hmmph! Knew it woudn't last. Ah well for a few moments I got a glimpse of what life will be like in Ireland in 30 years time.

254620018.png

Hmmph! Knew it woudn't last. Ah well for a few moments I got a glimpse of what life will be like in Ireland in 30 years time.

Ok, this is getting confusing and boring. I'm never doing any bloody speedtests again!

254621403.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Are you talking about your Eircom line being upgraded / or BT?
    The Finglas exchange is not on the BT LLU list at the moment or are you on the Blanch exchange?

Sorry should have been clearer. Just that Eircom seem to be pushing ahead with their upgrades early probably under pressure from BT unbundling their lines.

A little bit of competition never hurt anyone.

question for those in Swords that are being upgraded. are your line rentals with BT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

splinter wrote: »
    question for those in Swords that are being upgraded. are your line rentals with BT?

yeah 3meg line with line rental, I was upgraded Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

We're getting closer. :)
    Seems to be going painfully slow though. Any update on the final date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dub_Irl

Just wanted to add I finally got the 8mb line upgrade I was promised two months ago!!!!

I was on 3mb with Bt and line rental so they said I would be automatically upgraded within a few weeks and now it seems to have happened.

My line states are DownStream Connection Speed 8123 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 508 kbps

Tested it on speednet and it seemed be about 7mb down and 378 up
    but overall much improved. I have also been on sites in swords where eircom have upgraded 6mb to 12mb and it is super fast!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mine is confirmed by BT as 8Mb this evening, though I had some significant downtime and was on to tech support for an hour.

Speeds have fluctuated wildly today, but has improved since I got back up 20mins ago.

p.s. persevere with tech support if required, I opted for a call back and got none so rang them myself again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

any updates on carpenterstown?

• Advertisement

it appears that the auto upgrades are being done on the folks with the line rental first :( aww im gonna be waiting ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭FakePlasticMan

So what's the story with this upgrade? Is it only for people with BT line rental and 3Mb connection?

I'm on 2Mb and no line rental..how will this affect me and any others on the service?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

So what's the story with this upgrade? Is it only for people with BT line rental and 3Mb connection?

I'm on 2Mb and no line rental..how will this affect me and any others on the service?
    Cheers

It only affects BT people on the 3 meg bundle with line rental and connected to an unbundled exchange that BT decide to upgrade to 8 meg.

Your 2 meg won't be affected. You will however move to 3 meg when Eircom upgrade their speeds in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Does anyone know if or when they plan on upgrading for the Leixlip exchanges?

Did I hear wrong or was there also talk of eircom or something upgrading all users on 3mb -> 7.3mb? All customers would be upgraded, 1->1, 2-3, 3-7ish or so?

Does anyone know if or when they plan on upgrading for the Leixlip exchanges?

Did I hear wrong or was there also talk of eircom or something upgrading all users on 3mb -> 7.3mb? All customers would be upgraded, 1->1, 2-3, 3-7ish or so?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228131
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055276073

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

just had another look at the BT "rollout shedule".
    http://www.btireland.ie/pop_8mb.shtml
    spotted new entry...
    Coming Soon :
    Ballincollig, Co.Cork, Belcamp, Coolock, Dublin 17, Foxrock, Dublin 18, Greystones, Co.Wicklow, Kilkenny City,Navan, Co.Meath,Whitehall, Dublin 9
    Whatever soon means... Finglas exchange is still not on the list. ah well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

thanks duder o/

just had another look at the BT "rollout shedule".
    http://www.btireland.ie/pop_8mb.shtml
    spotted new entry...

Whatever soon means... Finglas exchange is still not on the list. ah well....

Probably means the same as it does for poor auld Douglas. It's been 'COMMING SOON' since they launched 8meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭FakePlasticMan

kaizersoze wrote: »
    It only affects BT people on the 3 meg bundle with line rental and connected to an unbundled exchange that BT decide to upgrade to 8 meg.

Your 2 meg won't be affected. You will however move to 3 meg when Eircom upgrade their speeds in June.

Thanks Kaiser...;-)

Nothing to get too excited about so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

When I first heard about this I thought, June, that won;t be long coming.

It's going alot slower than I thought it would. :(

Advertisement