Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland rolls out 8Mb broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Just called up to see when 8MB would be coming to Bray, Co. Wicklow. The guy said 8MB wasn't actually going to arrive to Bray specifically, since they are only doing that to a certain type of connections (can't remember what he called them, LUE or something). However, they estimated a general global increase in speeds to all current dsl packages. So 3MB => 7.5 MB is what the sales representitive told me on the phone, to arrive in June.

Good news. Can't wait tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Just called up to see when 8MB would be coming to Bray, Co. Wicklow. The guy said 8MB wasn't actually going to arrive to Bray specifically, since they are only doing that to a certain type of connections (can't remember what he called them, LUE or something). However, they estimated a general global increase in speeds to all current dsl packages. So 3MB => 7.5 MB is what the sales representitive told me on the phone, to arrive in June.

Good news. Can't wait tbh.

Thats just the upgrade of all eircom and eircom resellers(bt,utv,ibb, etc.) customers, which is completely seperate to Bt's current 8meg LLU product. FYI theres plenty of information on the Eircom upgrade on the other thread titled "[Eircom] They've confirmed Speed Increases"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, just to clarify for anyone who's confused.

There are two upgrades:
    1) BT is offering LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) service at 8mb down for the same price as the Eircom product, which is presently 3mb. To do this, your line must be unplugged from the Eircom equipment at the exchange, and plugged into the BT equipment sitting side-by-side at the exchange. This offer is already in force from the exchanges where BT has placed their equipment.
    2) Eircom is upgrading its service, and its resold services via BT, UTV etc as described in the "[Eircom] They've confirmed speed increases" thread.
    This will entail increasing speed of current packages from 2mb to 3mb, 3mb to 7.6mb, 4mb to 10mb and - where they consider the investment in ADSL2+ worthwhile - 6mb to 12mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Is there any way to tell if your BT package is LLU or the resold Eircom product?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

degsie wrote: »
    Is there any way to tell if your BT package is LLU or the resold Eircom product?

Eh, ring and ask them.:p

Up to 3 meg would be resold Eircom (Bitstream), anything higher would be LLU. Thats assuming you're on a residential package as opposed to Business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Wonder when BT will up the LLU speed from 8meg..now I'm being greedy -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

just got off the phone with both of them!
    I am currently on 2mb with bt!

Bt stated that as a result of eircom upgrading, my 2mb(€46 pm incl LR) will go to 3mb at no extra charge.
    But If i was on 3mb(56pm incl LR) it would go to 7.5mb.

Utv stated that if I was on 3mb(€41.35 1st 3 months,€49.35 thereafter incl LR plus evening and weekend calls) it would go to 5mb for no charge(could go higher but could not guarantee it from my exchange).

thats the craic in my situation in rural county galway!
    later
    johnny:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

They are both selling the same resold Eircom service, a 3Mb service will be upgraded to a max of 7.6. So it is just down to price. UTV may have been more honest as they believe your line may not support the max speed. Many lines will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

I'm lead to believe that my 3meg connection (in rural carlow ie bagenalstown aka muinebheag) is going from 3 meg to 7.6 on just 27th 08. I'm with BT.

Is this true?

ps: whats the difference 7.6 meg and 8 meg??? who cares about that .4 ?

I ran that test, and says it can handle 8megs anyway.

http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx (line checker)

m.

mattman wrote:
    I'm lead to believe that my 3meg connection (in rural carlow ie bagenalstown aka muinebheag) is going from 3 meg to 7.6 on just 27th 08. I'm with BT.

Is this true?
    Yes it's true, except for the date (27th). The 27th refers to changes in their calls packages. The BB upgrade date hasn't been confirmed.
    mattman wrote:
    ps: whats the difference 7.6 meg and 8 meg??? who cares about that .4 ?
    No noticeable difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

mattman wrote: »

Is this true?

Your only on 7.6 because you are not on an unbundled exchange (BTs Equipment) which connects at 8

you maybe are with BT but they are just reselling Eircoms product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I just rang BT, they said it would be €56 including line rental. Was i given the wrong information or do I have to mention something specifically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

mattman wrote: »
    I ran that test, and says it can handle 8megs anyway.

http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx (line checker)

m.

cannot find my router on the link from this website.
    so unable to calculate my limit!
    bummer
    any help?
    thnaks
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cannot find my router on the link from this website.
    so unable to calculate my limit!
    bummer
    any help?
    thnaks
    john
    You don't need to find your router. Just log into it and check the values for:
    Sync Speed, attenuation and Noise Margin and input them into that web page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I got a letter two weeks ago saying my 2Mb BT connection would be going up to 3Mb free of charge. Anyone know when this "upgrade" is going to take place. I'm in North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

when eircom upgrade their lines. bt are just re-selling an eircom line to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

BT has upgraded all LLU2 customer on 2 mb to 3 mb free of charge to match Eircom's offer.

Just for your information.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

27th of june 2008 Im told..

mostly nation wide..

i got this from BT today(14th june)

--

Subject
    any news on the 7.6 meg upgrade in my area?

Discussion Thread
    Response (BT Sales Department) 13/06/2008 09.35 AM
    Dear Matt,

Many thanks for your mail,

Broadband packages are going to be upgraded this summer. This is not just applicable to Eircom but for all OLO providers.

For BT this means that our current DSL BB and LLU BB packages will adjust to the following:

PQ Speed
    5mg available on telephone line, not on LLU exchange so unfortunately 8Mb is not available on you line.
    We have no date when 8mb will be available at your exhange

so its 5 megs for people in bagenalstown(co.carlow) looks like.
    Which is fine. 3 is great , only some downloads ever go to 300k anyway!

I got a letter two weeks ago saying my 2Mb BT connection would be going up to 3Mb free of charge. Anyone know when this "upgrade" is going to take place. I'm in North Dublin.

mattman wrote:
    so its 5 megs for people in bagenalstown(co.carlow) looks like
    No. He's referring to your line only i'd say. Others on the same exchange with better or shorter lines will get the full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Has anyone got the BT speed increase yet? We're into July and I'm still on the 2mb line which was supposed to go up to 3mb.
    You can test your line speed here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

• Advertisement

KenH wrote: »
    Has anyone got the BT speed increase yet? We're into July and I'm still on the 2mb line which was supposed to go up to 3mb.
    You can test your line speed here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

No. On going discussion here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228131

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

still no sign of if for me. 3 of the 4 exchanges in my area have been upgraded. guess which one i am on :(
    But i'm in an ntl\upc cabled area so am going to dump BT and get 20mb bb, no dl caps & phone for €4 more than i'm currently paying BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Nothing here either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Expecting an 8MB bump in June, but nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I've just signed up and am getting 3mb on my deal. Should I expect a speed increase at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

I believe 3mb should be going up to 8mb. But when is another question. I'm seriously thinking of getting my broadband from UPC/NTL/Chorus.....I have the tv already so it should be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I believe 3mb should be going up to 8mb. But when is another question.

Cool. I'm willing to wait. Can't complain about 3mb when I've been on 1mb beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

My speed seems to have decreased over the last week .
    On a 2Mb line but only getting around 160KBps as opposed to the 220 i used to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gavin W

Still on 2mb here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I believe 3mb should be going up to 8mb. But when is another question. I'm seriously thinking of getting my broadband from UPC/NTL/Chorus.....I have the tv already so it should be easy.

Dont think, do it.

God knows how long you will be waiting with those shower

Advertisement