Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland rolls out 8Mb broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

No update here yet...

3MB BT. (Pings are better than my last one.)

292070981.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Still on 3 meg on the Clonee Exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

This crowd are still throttling people on 3 mb connections, how in the hell are they going to supply people with 8mb connections and expect them to stay under 30gbs? The day of BT and Eircom are nearing an end I think with Smarts new ESB contract and NTL giving 20mb unlimited downloads who in their right mind would stay with the old phone companies. It's their own fault as well, as they made no effort to improve the service in the last three years. All they be left with soon is a heap of copper wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Blindpew wrote: »
    It's their own fault as well, as they made no effort to improve the service in the last three years. All they be left with soon is a heap of copper wire.

While i agree eircom have made no effort, BT have introduced LLU ADSL2+ so you can't really balme them for lack of effort, but i can't understand why they still have a 30GB cap on a 8MB service. Yes people abuse the service so even if they doubled the cap to 60GB they would still end up throttling accounts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Have you been throttled again, Blindpew? :pac:

They nabbed me yesterday, first time in a while. Pain in the ass, I'm not going out until tomorrow night and was gonna watch some Peep Show online this evening. Can't do that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

While i agree eircom have made no effort, BT have introduced LLU ADSL2+ so you can't really balme them for lack of effort, but i can't understand why they still have a 30GB cap on a 8MB service. Yes people abuse the service so even if they doubled the cap to 60GB they would still end up throttling accounts.

They've only ADSL2+ enabled a few of their LLU exchanges, for whatever reason. I didn't think the additional cost of ADSL2+ equipment would be that substantial... BT could do a lot better, such as providing a half-decent DNS server.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Am i getting throttled to?

For the past 3 days from 4pm to 1am my connection starts to drop

from 2.6 to 2.0 to 1.6 to 1.0 to .7 to .4 to .2

then back to normal, but during that time when i get to use it, its unusable with pings from 80 to 120 to dublin normally 30-45.

In the past 4 years i've had a solid connection, staying relatively the same speed 24/7. Which being in westport very little have broadband never mind the 3mb which has a lower contention ratio to others.

The thing is there's no way i've downloaded 30gb in 4 days.
    Although my stats online have been at 0gb sinc april.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

as far as i know, BT have an unofficial cap of 100gb

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Am i getting throttled to?

For the past 3 days from 4pm to 1am my connection starts to drop

from 2.6 to 2.0 to 1.6 to 1.0 to .7 to .4 to .2

then back to normal, but during that time when i get to use it, its unusable with pings from 80 to 120 to dublin normally 30-45.

In the past 4 years i've had a solid connection, staying relatively the same speed 24/7. Which being in westport very little have broadband never mind the 3mb which has a lower contention ratio to others.

The thing is there's no way i've downloaded 30gb in 4 days.
    Although my stats online have been at 0gb sinc april.

Nah, you're not being throttled.

BT's throttling limits your up and down speeds to about 15kBps 24 hours a day until your total d/l drops below the cap again.

They do seem to be having trouble in the west if this thread is anything to go by:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055325359

edit: sorry I see you've already posted on that thread

Phlann wrote: »
    Have you been throttled again, Blindpew? :pac:

They nabbed me yesterday, first time in a while. Pain in the ass, I'm not going out until tomorrow night and was gonna watch some Peep Show online this evening. Can't do that now.

I was throttled on Tuesday but to my surprise I have been unthrottled this evening. My download last month was a much reduced 110gbs so I'd say the 100gb cap is correct. Thankfully I'll be moving to NTL soon as they have uncapped the service.

• Advertisement

Lucky git. I still can't get NTL here. One of their tech guys PMed me the other day and said he'd check when they'd be available in my building but haven't heard back yet.

While i agree eircom have made no effort, BT have introduced LLU ADSL2+ so you can't really balme them for lack of effort, .

They've been arseing around with that local loop for years now, it must be wrapped around their necks at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

They've only ADSL2+ enabled a few of their LLU exchanges, for whatever reason. I didn't think the additional cost of ADSL2+ equipment would be that substantial... BT could do a lot better, such as providing a half-decent DNS server.

When i contacted Sales i was told that LLU was in the stages of testing before it would be fully introduced with upgrades to happen in the coming months.

If it was that simple and i am sure every provider would have done this already including eircom, buts not.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Blindpew wrote: »
    This crowd are still throttling people on 3 mb connections, how in the hell are they going to supply people with 8mb connections and expect them to stay under 30gbs? The day of BT and Eircom are nearing an end I think with Smarts new ESB contract and NTL giving 20mb unlimited downloads who in their right mind would stay with the old phone companies. It's their own fault as well, as they made no effort to improve the service in the last three years. All they be left with soon is a heap of copper wire.

Agreed. I haven't been throttled yet, but I'm constantly looking at my download meter to make sure I'm not exceeding my cap which has become a bit old after 5 years.

If Esat don't at least double their cap soon, I'll probably take my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

exiztone wrote: »
    Agreed. I haven't been throttled yet, but I'm constantly looking at my download meter to make sure I'm not exceeding my cap which has become a bit old after 5 years.

If Esat don't at least double their cap soon, I'll probably take my business elsewhere.

Try to keep it under 100gb and you wont be throttled.Tech support have confirmed as much to me and others

I do between 50gb and 80gb every month.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I was throttled for 2 days and am unthrottled today? strange, not sure what I had downloaded last month, in the 80's when I checked it last week.......

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    I was throttled for 2 days and am unthrottled today? strange, not sure what I had downloaded last month, in the 80's when I checked it last week.......

Bear in mind that the months end and new allowence means nothing, it goes on the last 30 days at any time during a month. So say if you have downloaded 80gbs say in june and then on the 1st of July go mad and download 30 gbs straight away they will throttle you. It's real third world stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

My BT traffic counter goes to zero at the end of each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Yeah i just checked mine, it hasn't worked since April.

But thought i'd give it a go.

Isn't the limit 30GB?

Anyway first time i've seen this.

At your current rate of usage you are likely
    to go over your download limit in 15 days

I've used 9gb so far.

Its rubbish if you think about it, 1GB a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

does anyone know if the 8mb llu service is up and running on the swords exchange, or still in a trial phase?

i just got connected yesterday and am getting a line rate of 3072, i called bt and was told that it will be up to 7.6mb by the end of the summer, 6 or 7 weeks time.

Can anyone in the swords/kinsealy area confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

im in swords and was told id be upgraded in july but still nothing so you've heard more than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

You have exceeded your download limit for this month!
    Logins 21
    Offpeak Traffic 14160 minutes
    Peak Traffic 6051 minutes
    Data uploaded 12.42 GB [13336122791 bytes]
    Data downloaded 22.58 GB [24240207170 bytes]

Haven't noticed any difference in speeds but considering I'm cancelling with them shortly, don't want to get stung for going over the limit just out of their spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

splinter wrote: »
    im in swords and was told id be upgraded in july but still nothing so you've heard more than me :)

I'm in swords too and got onto there sales team and the said they would request an upgrade from 3Mb to 8Mb, they said it would be about a week but took 4 days. A month earlier I asked tech support the same and got no result.

Call the sales line and put them under pressure.

Speedtest.net results now Download 876 Upload 355.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

murfo wrote: »
    does anyone know if the 8mb llu service is up and running on the swords exchange, or still in a trial phase?

i just got connected yesterday and am getting a line rate of 3072, i called bt and was told that it will be up to 7.6mb by the end of the summer, 6 or 7 weeks time.

Can anyone in the swords/kinsealy area confirm?

The 7.6 he was referring to is Eircoms upgrade, everyone is going to get Eircoms upgrade eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

i know its eircom's, but i understand that the swords exchange was one of the first in dublin to be upgraded and there was a trial phase for bt's llu product earlier this year. i wanted to know has that trial phase in swords finished or is there anyone on bt's 3mb package that is currently bumped up to 8mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

YAY! (sort of).

god, this almost feels like dragging up an old dead thread, I actually feel a little bit guilty about it (don't worry I'll get over it).

ANyway, good/bad news depending on how you look at it.

I don't know how many people expected the whole 8mbps rollout thing to happen on the day they said it would, but we're still pretty close.

I think originally they said it was confirmed for July, but I've just got a mail from BT to say:

We had communicated to you in May in our customer updates brochure that our broadband speeds were increasing in June 2008.

Unfortunately, our wholesale supplier has informed us of a delay in their upgrade programme resulting in the speed upgrades now taking place on a phased basis. This upgrade programme has already commenced with thousands of customers already enjoying their new speeds – we expect the majority of customer upgrades to be completed by September 2008.

Please accept our apologies for this delay which is out of our direct control.

and also a link to the upgrade page which now tells you the exact date you'll get upgraded, here: http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

and it tells me that: "Your line will be upgraded on the weekend of the 9th August", so yay, only 2 weeks to go. :D

So that's Navan/Johnstown area on the weekend of the 9th August. so when's yours? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭vectra

And for me :

Your line will be upgraded on the weekend of the 26th July :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

vibe666 wrote: »
    YAY! (sort of).

god, this almost feels like dragging up an old dead thread, I actually feel a little bit guilty about it (don't worry I'll get over it).

ANyway, good/bad news depending on how you look at it.

I don't know how many people expected the whole 8mbps rollout thing to happen on the day they said it would, but we're still pretty close.

I think originally they said it was confirmed for July, but I've just got a mail from BT to say:

and also a link to the upgrade page which now tells you the exact date you'll get upgraded, here: http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

and it tells me that: "Your line will be upgraded on the weekend of the 9th August", so yay, only 2 weeks to go. :D

So that's Navan/Johnstown area on the weekend of the 9th August. so when's yours? ;)
    That's not BT's 8mb LLU rollout- it is Eircom's speed upgrades that all resllers will be getting too. 2mb is going to 3mb while 3mb is going to 7.6mb. Bt only offer the 8mb to their LLU exchanges which is slowly being rolled out to the major exchanges:
    http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_8mb_reasons.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I'm on the Swords exchange and got that email too. Although, I thought I was already upgraded as I'm getting a download rate of approx. 5,500Kbps according to speedtest.net.

I put in my phone number on that line checker and it said I'll be upgraded on the weekend of 9 August.

I wonder will my speeds improve after 9 August or is it just the people who haven't been upgraded yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i honestly couldn't give a fig who's baking it as long as it tastes good! :D

Advertisement