Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cops and AA using latest model Fiat Ducatos are they good?

Options
  • 30-01-2008 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I see the cops and the AA using the latest model Ducato a shift away from the Ford Tranny.The old Ducato model gave notorious gearbox trouble and depecriated rapidly in value. Did they get these vans cheap or are they another van with a Fiat badge :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I drove both transits and ducatos. After being 100% convinced the transit, as the industry leader, wouldn't be beaten- I had no idea how easily the Ducato would walk all over it. I have always resented them as FIAT crap (had 2 FIAT cars and they were hopeless) but now I'm a total convert.

Look at how many ambulances, police vans, AA vans, campers etc. etc. are Ducatos. The most under-rated van on the roads compared to the transit which is the most over-rated IMO. Was driving one over the weekend and it just bolstered my experience of them. Noisy, unrefined, underpowered...

Trannys are hopeless by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cantdecide wrote: »

Trannys are hopeless by comparison
    :D:D:D

Childish I know, but couldn't resist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

FYI by all accounts the new Ducatos are excellent but some have a problem where water is getting in around the bottom of the windscreen scuttle and resting in various nasty places on the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Transits are still the job for builders, plumbers, etc as they will manage to get across a building site. Show a Ducato without traction control a wet leaf and it'll get stuck.

We had two (both campers), one with traction control and one without and they'd get stuck crossing any bit of grass, mud, gravel etc.

However, they would sit at 85mph all day for you. We drove a camper (about 3.7 tonnes all in - It was a maxi chassis with the GVW uprated to 3.85 tonnes) from Nice to Cherbourg in one in 14 hours, sitting at 80 to 90mph and drank over 2 tanks of diesel!

Strangly, the an oil line to the turbo let go on that van about a year later......

Advertisement