Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish advice - Bully Gourami

Options
  • 30-01-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Got an aquarium for the little lad at Christmas and put in a Gourami and a Bala shark. Then at the weekend, we went to got another fish and brought home a Siamese fighting fish. The Gourami started bullying it but thought things might settle down. Then we got home yesterday and the Siamese was in bits. Found this on wiki:

"Gouramis, particulary blue, gold, opaline and dwarf, are often kept in
    the home aquarium. Though often considered peaceful, they can kill
    most other smaller or long finned fish. They shred other fishes' fins
    to the point that the victim can't swim and dies."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gourami

Little bastard! The guy in the aquarium shop said there wouldn't be any problems. So will we be able to get any other fish? Really wanted a Siamese... or something as colourful. I'd rather get rid of the bastard gourami. if they're incompatible.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Gouramis can be quite quarrelsome, so you need to take that into account when choosing tankmates for them. Siamese don't usually fare well in community tanks imo. What size is the tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Hi,
    Gouramis and Siamese are closely related, they are both labyrinth fish (they can breath air through a special organ). Like the Siamese, the Gourami will often be aggressive to fish similar to itself. I have 3 dwarf Gouramis, they are fine 99% of the time but take the odd snap at each other. They are fine with all my other fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Hi,
    Gouramis and Siamese are closely related, they are both labyrinth fish (they can breath air through a special organ)

Nice to see a man who knows His fish on here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I'm a girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 papa-lazarou

Arcadian wrote: »
    Gouramis can be quite quarrelsome, so you need to take that into account when choosing tankmates for them. Siamese don't usually fare well in community tanks imo. What size is the tank?

Tank is 60 litres. I wish the guy in the shop was a bit more honest when we asked, as apparently he knows his stuff (but is closing up shop).

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 papa-lazarou

Hi,
    Gouramis and Siamese are closely related, they are both labyrinth fish (they can breath air through a special organ). Like the Siamese, the Gourami will often be aggressive to fish similar to itself. I have 3 dwarf Gouramis, they are fine 99% of the time but take the odd snap at each other. They are fine with all my other fish.

Yeah the stuff I've since read makes me think it was threatened by the similarity and possibly a clash of sexes.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

I'm a girl!

Ha ha so you are, oops what a faux pas!:o

Advertisement