Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threats to be banned for having an opinion about being "nice"

Options
  • 30-01-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Terry wrote: »
    You were asked not to post in this thread again (at my request).
    Do it again and you will be banned.

Hi all, is it right that moderators should be able to threaten bans for expressing opinions, no where in the thread has any warnings been given except for a 3rd party posting from Dudess ( Terry has some problems apparantly )
    Dudess wrote: »
    ( to another user )You got an infraction and a ban. Do not insult other posters.
    Spook_ie: Do not post on this thread again.

It would seem that any freedom of thought/expression is to be frowned upon or that the right to legimate debate/counter debate is to be dienfranchised at the whim of a moderator with no questions asked.

Last Page of thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55005423#post55005423
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, since I'm incredibly bored in work, I'll field this one.

Terry threatened to ban you because Dudess had told you not to post again in the thread and you posted again. It wasn't against what you said, but because you ignored what Dudess said.

But I don't really know why Dudess told you to stop posting. I had a quick gander through the thread and didn't really see anything that you did wrong. But then again, I'm not a mod, I'm just someone who likes posting in Feedback. (postcount ++ )

From your second last post on the thread, were you implying you PM'd Dudess? If so, did she give you a reason, or explanation?

And finally, as for freedom of opinon etc etc, this is a private board that gives your permission to use it, but not permission to say anything you want. The other user who got banned was abusive and so was infracted and banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I assume Dudess had a reason for asking you to stop posting, looks like you didn't listen.
    I'd like to know the contents of the edited post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

rkm wrote: »
    I assume Dudess had a reason for asking you to stop posting, looks like you didn't listen.
    I'd like to know the contents of the edited post.

That post is after Dudess told him not to post again. Why she did tell him that I can't figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Macros42 wrote: »
    That post is after Dudess told him not to post again. Why she did tell him that I can't figure out.

I know it's after that, i'm still curious. :D I wasn't implying it was the reason. I'm just nosey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Yes I did PM Dudess to ask why, it was apparantly Terry's idea ( but as he was having problems Dudess was enrolled to do the duty ) not sure if I'm supposed to post PMs but as it's to me I can't see any objection, if there is I will edit the post..
    Sorry for the delay. I posted on behalf of Terry, who is having problems accessing After Hours while he's making the transition from user to moderator.
    He says he feels you were antagonising CodeMonkey, that you were taking it far too personally and that, based on previous posts on the same subject, he felt you should no longer participate in that thread.

Now I am probably taking this threatened banning far more personaly than the thread, as in my eyes I did no wrong.

As for the Boards.ie being a private members board with no guaranteed "freedom of speech" I accept that, but surely if you want to have a discussion forum then as long as you aren't being offensive, abusive etc. then all opinions are valid and no-one should be disenfranchised their opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, I see your point and I do also see Terry's point. You are kind of taking it personally, but I guess I would to in your position.

To be honest, I'd simply not post in the thread. A new Tipping thread will pop up in about 6 months anyway. :D If you really feel you need to post in the thread, maybe pop Terry a PM. I don't know if he'd be appreciative of his decisions being questioned, but you never know. But if you send a PM and he still says no, then just let it go. It's not the end of the world. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

To be entirely fair, if someone calls you a moron, you report the post and let the moderators deal with it. You don't egg him on, that's just disruptive and takes the thread off-topic.

You were not threated for "Having an opinion about being "Nice"", so don't make up BS like that, it's irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Call me when it feline time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

To be entirely fair, if someone calls you a moron, you report the post and let the moderators deal with it. You don't egg him on, that's just disruptive and takes the thread off-topic.

You were not threated for "Having an opinion about being "Nice"", so don't make up BS like that, it's irritating.

for those of us who are not involved, telling someone you are not a muppet, or saying in thread that a post is off-topic is just as annoying as the off-topic post. Just report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Pulls up a chair and waits for Boston and Snyper

• Advertisement

don't forget 6th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

tbh wrote: »
    for those of us who are not involved, telling someone you are not a muppet, or saying in thread that a post is off-topic is just as annoying as the off-topic post. Just report it.

Aye, people who respond to trolls can be troublesome. Best course of action is simply not to repsond.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

tbh wrote: »
    don't forget 6th!

You do love me!

Anyway this thread is the Linda McCarthy microwave dinner of Feedback threads, nothing here for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"Threats to be banned for having an opinion about being "nice"" - bull****. Plain and simple.

I would say it was more for these posts where you twisted a troll's argument and made it personal abuse:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54986777&postcount=115

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54988562&postcount=123

We understand that they are in response to someone trolling/being a spanner, which is why you were warned and told not to post in that one thread again rather than being infracted and banned.
    It is unfortunate that the action was taken as you were the prime contributor to that thread and otherwise quite well-behaved, but the moderators felt it was necessary to keep order and some level of consistency re: moderation - at the end of the day, your behaviour was unacceptable. You got away with a gentle slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Karoma wrote: »
    "Threats to be banned for having an opinion about being "nice"" - bull****. Plain and simple.

Waht the hell do u mean?

U gave me 2 infractions this week for being "nice" :D

6th wrote: »
    You do love me!

I grudgingly concede that feedback would be different without you, lets put it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Criticism taken, from now on I will report abuse and rudeness 1st and ignore any contribution being made to the topic ( however, to ignore anyone with valid comment/input to a debate is, in itself, the height of rudeness )

However, I would suggest that moderators do make their reasons clear and if there is an infaction then issue said infaction rather than just disenfranchising the rights of a contributer to a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Sounds like we're done here :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement