Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public health nurse screening 3yr old

Options
  • 30-01-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Is it normal to be screened at 3yr old & what are they screening the child for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I had tought the developemental checks stopped at aged 2.
    What reason where you given ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 wanabehome

no reason,just mail saying to go in next week for PHN SCREENING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

My four were all checked for the last time at three and the public health nurse said that they were "signed off" then. As far as I remember when number four was checked a year and a half ago all they asked was whether she had had all her shots,how she slept,fed etc etc. There were a few wooden blocks on the table and Louise started making a tower. That was one of the tests but she didn't even have to be asked to do it! I think they asked her her name and engaged her in some conversation. Again no problem. Said she was well ahead of her age group in language and social skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Was he screened at 2? I think sometimes the 2 year checks just come late... so late the child could already be 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I think it might have been 2 AND 3 but with four kids ranging from 4 to 18 I can hardly remember my own name sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 FakeRedHead

We were called at 18 months and then age 3 for routine developmental checks.
    Then another at age 4 when we were 'signed off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

All children are supposed to be seen at 3 by health nurse and then discharged. It's normal practise generally just asks if you have any concerns etc. nothing to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My younger son was about 2 years and 9 months and the PHN called to do his 2 year and 3 year screening.

She kept asking me if I could remember what he was doing at 2 years of age. Then she did his 3 year old screening, blocks and all that sort of thing.

I can't remember too much about it except the following. My lad was a chatty boy but I'd kept him awake as I knew she was coming so he was tired and a bit grumpy. Typical while she was here he wanted a drink but wouldn't speak, just pointed at his drink and grunted "ugh ugh". She spotted this and kept asking me about his speech. I said he had very good speech but I think she thought I was covering for him. She said she'd call again.

She came back 3 days later but in the morning. My son was in great spirits, all chat to her. When she was going and was outside my front door he stuck his head out the door and said "goodbye you fe*king ejeet". All I could say was that I think he hasn't a problem with his speech. The PHN just laughed and agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 FakeRedHead

wanabehome wrote: »
    & what are they screening the child for?

They are looking for anything that suggests a child isn't developing normally in any area such as speech, motor skills, co-ordination, learning etc.

This so they can place the child on a lengthy waiting list for assessment services to have these things checked out if anything suggests a problem. And then go on an even longer waiting list should any treatments like speech therapy etc actually be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

My 3 yr old had her test and they basically talk to the child and check speech, knowledge of colours, shapes, language, emotions ( where they showed her picture of an adult hugging a child and asked her what was happening.)

They also ask you as a parent do you have any concerns about development ( potty and night time training) and diet etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

even longer waiting list should any treatments like speech therapy etc actually be required.

Our little lad had trouble with his "S" sounds (basically he had a slight lisp, you wouldn't have noticed it at a very early age, but by 7 it was audible) so he was sent for speech therapy. I expected the waiting list to be ridiculous, but it was only about 6 months if memory serves (not amazing, but I wouldn't consider it terrible either). He was given exercises etc. and was all sorted within about 3-4 months.

You sound like you have experience with this. Is it worse in other areas of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

My liitle girl got a developmental check at 3 and then she was finished. I think its just a final check before there in big school.

They checked her vision, hearing and communication skills

Advertisement