Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That jerk Duffy

• 30-01-2008 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Jaysus, how does that chav get away with it, Todays Liveline stoking up the lowlifes who phone in after bringing knives, toy guns, fruit and other fcukin stoooooopid things on aircraft.

yeh roiih.. i brout on dis tie guunn ..whah de fcuk ah yiz on abouh....

That guy Duffy should be taken out and strung up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I keep switching off then someone starts a thread that suggests something interesting happened. Bah. :mad:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What good will that do Sergei???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Should the lowlifes be the preserve of Adrian Kennedy?

Or has Flutter become a snob? :D

No.. but Jaysus..we all know why airport security is in place.

All it needs is one breach to screw everything up.

We all know the adage."You have to be lucky all the time, we have only to be lucky once.

Duffy was egging these gob****es on ,totally to up the pressure level,and not being objective at all.

fcuker should be outed... aaaah i'm geting too worked here.

Sorry tSubh....:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

That guy who brought the fireworks on was an asshole. His daughter wanted fireworks, so he let her buy them as long as "she carried them in her own luggage". Then he complains that they were let on the plane without being scanned and "sure they could have caught fire joe!" Take responsibility for yourself you knobhead, ask at check-in if it's ok. This "Someone elses problem" attitude really bugs me.

mike65 wrote: »
    I keep switching off then someone starts a thread that suggests something interesting happened. Bah. :mad:

Mike.

podcasts. but it's not worth it for this one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No.. but Jaysus..we all know why airport security is in place.

Ah yes. General ignorance and, as tbh said, lack of taking responsibility for one's actions. And Duffy taking their points, when they have none. You are most certainly right.

I've begun to think that its reverse psychology by Duffy, eg "lookie here at the dumb fcuks, I'm just helping them dig their hole deeper for them."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Have to agree with the bantam on this, was off work today and tuned in for some laughs...the amount of idiots calling in saying they were met with armed police for carrying raw food stuffs onto US soil was comical but Joe wasn't one bit objective...he was moreorless giving the attitude that these people weren't terrorists and it's only a bit of fruit....were the tide turned and half our country was awash with some crop pest or veterniary disease brought in by some African or whatever, the liveline would be jammed with calls to deport everyone and such.
    DMC; I thought that too a little...I mean he's not a stupid man, whatever way people personally feel about him...there may have been a sarcastic edge to his pandering to their tales of woe and mistreatment...

I did feel a wee bit sorry for the woman who asked about oxygen on the plane though; she'll no do that again lol

Exactly Wertz,:Its the "shure it's only me" stick thats being shaken by people who are used to the blind eye being turned in this sainted land,and then ****e themselves when some people actually enforce the regulations.

Would not agree that Duffy has any other agenda ,other than stoking up the fuels of controversy,irrespective of the rights and wrongs of a listeners point of view.

All Duffy wants is to pump up the volume for Liveline,and he doesn't give Jack Shidt whether the core issue is right or wrong.

Just take the populist view,and sit back and wait for the outcry,while playing the class,race,and any other card which will rile up the listeners.

You don't fool me Josey.

• Advertisement

Bantam, I have to say, based on todays show, I'm coming round to your way of thinking. There was a bloke on today who bought a toy gun in london for his kid, and was stopped coming back. I think he got a bit carried away with the story, but it ended up with the cops telling him to bin the gun and him refusing unless they refunded him. What kind of asshole does that? Duffy should have put him straight on that right away but he indulged him to the point that the caller was practically bragging about his Fight-da-powah episode. Rabble rousing - you have it exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Oh Gaaaaawd!

Here he goes again with the Headshop "debate".

another perfect example today. The discussion was about diabetics, and their problems getting insurance / mortgages, something I have a bit of experience with myself . There was a girl on who said that she had a hard time getting mort. protection and then went on to say that she had high bloods and was already suffering from complications. JD was talking about how unfair it was, but it's not really. Who's going to take a gamble on someone who's not looking after themselves? There is a lot of sense in some of the rules describing what a diabetic can and can't do - and I say that as a type 1 diabetic myself. To just put the message across that these are unfair and discriminatory is lazy journalism, nothing more. It does a disservice to diabetics in ireland, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I know i am away from the topic in question and i agree that JD does at times seem patronising , but to be fair to JD and liveline it did highlight the recent debate over lack of treatment in the ROI for people with cronic lung problems (forget the name of the illness ) and it was distressing to listen to those people suffering in the background and also so intrusive but it brought the point home and achieved positive feedback with people willing to donate time and finance to helping those who are suffering .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

OP, for purposes of comparison, what do you think of DAMIEN O'REILLY, who does locum for JD ?

If JD was to move on who would be a good replacement ? DAMIEN O'REILLY ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

tbh wrote: »
    That guy who brought the fireworks on was an asshole. His daughter wanted fireworks, so he let her buy them as long as "she carried them in her own luggage". Then he complains that they were let on the plane without being scanned and "sure they could have caught fire joe!" Take responsibility for yourself you knobhead, ask at check-in if it's ok. This "Someone elses problem" attitude really bugs me.

True. I think the woman who 'accidentally' packed a foot long breadknife in with her smalls ("I don't know how it got in there Joe, I must have picked it up with my washing"....are you for real woman?) was up there aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

UrbanFox wrote: »
    OP, for purposes of comparison, what do you think of DAMIEN O'REILLY, who does locum for JD ?

Derek Davis FTW !

he actually LISTENS to what people say.

UrbanFox wrote: »

I think this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

i could almost forgive him if the awful FUNNY FRIDAY was to be banished of the airwaves forever
    anytime you have both brush shields and brendan o caroll combined with ringers in who think they can impersonate bertie , you know youve entered a world of pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Two points.

1. I agree with moe_sizlak. Those Funny Fridays are just not funny at all. They are utterly tedious and somewhat forced. Better ditched.

2. I see from to-day's papers that Ann-Marie Kelleher will get state funding for spinal surgery in London. Two annoymous sources offered Liveline to fund the procedure privately after the item was aired. Score one for JD & Co.

Result.:)

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Two points.

1. I agree with moe_sizlak. Those Funny Fridays are just not funny at all. They are utterly tedious and somewhat forced. Better ditched.

2. I see from to-day's papers that Ann-Marie Kelleher will get state funding for spinal surgery in London. Two annoymous sources offered Liveline to fund the procedure privately after the item was aired. Score one for JD & Co.

Result.:)

Point 1... Funny fridays deffo not funny, same auld worn out liggers.

Point 2 .. Score one to the GENERAL PUBLIC Duffy only provides the conduit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

oleras wrote: »
    Derek Davis FTW !
    Hear hear...and the trout was the finest.

I find it unbelievable that JD earns €250K a year. He'd be lucky to get a DJ job on hospital radio in the UK.

All part of the cosy cartel which links the top presenters salaries out there in Montrose,whilst they work teachers hours.

They have some nerve criticising the TD's 'holidays'.

They should look a little closer to home before slinging the mud.

And if you delve under the top layer you will find some more extremely well paid liggers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭11.3 SECONDS

Point 2 .. Score one to the GENERAL PUBLIC Duffy only provides the conduit.

I don't think that Duffy ever claims otherwise or engages in self-agrandissment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Joe Duffy is a great broadcaster.He's brilliant at what he does.I love his show.You're the king Joe!

Jaysus, how does that chav get away with it, Todays Liveline stoking up the lowlifes who phone in after bringing knives, toy guns, fruit and other fcukin stoooooopid things on aircraft.

yeh roiih.. i brout on dis tie guunn ..whah de fcuk ah yiz on abouh....

That guy Duffy should be taken out and strung up.
    he's a brilliant broadcaster.One of the very best on these islands.Maybe you're confusing Joe with the awful Adrian Kennedy and his sidekick,you know the guy who sounds so superior while slagging working class Dublin accents.That's pure muck radio.Joe Duffy is superb.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Been long in RTE, Berliner?

Nothing worse than an RTE shill, moving to Donnybrook eh...

• Advertisement

rkm wrote: »
    Nothing worse than an RTE shill, moving to Donnybrook eh...
    I know good broadcasting unlike yourself.Stick to the subjest.

I didn't give an opinion about Duffy yet actually. He's muck.

Robbo wrote: »
    Been long in RTE, Berliner?
    Never been in the building but i listen and know good radio when i hear it unlike you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

berliner wrote: »
    he's a brilliant broadcaster.One of the very best on these islands.Maybe you're confusing Joe with the awful Adrian Kennedy and his sidekick,you know the guy who sounds so superior while slagging working class Dublin accents.That's pure muck radio.Joe Duffy is superb.

Duffy has no perspective and doesn't even pretend to. But he's a member of the proletariat. That "oul 1970's TCD red thing" is a bit tired at this stage. Ability as a broadcaster also involves knowing when less is more, otherwise it is just Adrian Kennedy with a mantle of respectability.

If you want to look at excellent then you would be far better to look at his predecessor who did not allow Liveline to turn into the Whineline it has become.
    Kenny or Paddy O'Gorman have infinitely more talent. RTE in recent years have pushed the cult of personality excessively and Duffy is merely a manifestation of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Never been in the building but i listen and know good radio when i hear it unlike you.

I actually think that what constitutes 'good radio' is down to taste for most people. I don't think that saying someone doesn't know good radio is helpful. Taste is just that, taste. Personally, I don't like Duffy. He thinks he's superior to everyone, and he is very patronising at times. I also hate that he when someone says something that he doesn't think should be said on radio he lets out this sigh and mumbles something inaudible. He's on the radio, if he wants to mumble to himself he should wait until he's off air.

I rarely listen. I only do when I'm at home and my mum is listening. (She hates Joe Duffy too but is a bit of a radio snob and refuses to believe that there are any other channels.) I don't listen because I don't like the show, or Duffy, and that's my personal taste.

Look ,what sets Duffy apart is the class card.

The guy practically salivates when phone in dude happens to mention that perhaps,just perhaps mind you,that single mothers just might,just MIGHT,mind you be working the system.

All Duffy is interested in is ratings, thats what I said,ratings.

Once Liveline is in the news he's happy,how ,why ,wherefore, outcome,doesn't matter, keep the programme in the news ,thats the goal.

Always remember that.

• Advertisement

I didn't give an opinion about Duffy yet actually. He's muck.
    yEAH,I SUPPOSE YOU'RE AND EXPERT ON MUCK THEN.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Duffy has no perspective and doesn't even pretend to. But he's a member of the proletariat. That "oul 1970's TCD red thing" is a bit tired at this stage. Ability as a broadcaster also involves knowing when less is more, otherwise it is just Adrian Kennedy with a mantle of respectability.

If you want to look at excellent then you would be far better to look at his predecessor who did not allow Liveline to turn into the Whineline it has become.
    Kenny or Paddy O'Gorman have infinitely more talent. RTE in recent years have pushed the cult of personality excessively and Duffy is merely a manifestation of this.
    Kenny and o'gorman have more talent.....get batteries for your hearing aid! You must be joking.

janeybabe wrote: »
    I actually think that what constitutes 'good radio' is down to taste for most people. I don't think that saying someone doesn't know good radio is helpful. Taste is just that, taste. Personally, I don't like Duffy. He thinks he's superior to everyone, and he is very patronising at times. I also hate that he when someone says something that he doesn't think should be said on radio he lets out this sigh and mumbles something inaudible. He's on the radio, if he wants to mumble to himself he should wait until he's off air.

I rarely listen. I only do when I'm at home and my mum is listening. (She hates Joe Duffy too but is a bit of a radio snob and refuses to believe that there are any other channels.) I don't listen because I don't like the show, or Duffy, and that's my personal taste.
    It's not just taste.Some broadcasters are talented,Gay Byrne,Joe duffy,Gerry Ryan,Chris Evans.These guys are the top of the bunch.They set the standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You must be joking.

And why would that be? Being an expert you should be able to tell me. You should also be able to counter my arguments. I am happy to be shown the error of my ways. Beyond platitudes towards the aforementioned "Red" Joe Duffy I see little of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

chilll out :)
    apparently joe duffy is serious business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

yEAH,I SUPPOSE YOU'RE AND EXPERT ON MUCK THEN.

If it looks like muck, walks like muck and quacks like muck... wait, scratch that last one.

nerin wrote: »

In what way son?

care to expand on your profundity?

If it looks like muck, walks like muck and quacks like muck... wait, scratch that last one.
    LoL :D
    i listen to duffy the odd time,when im home from college. my mam usually has rte 1 on and she shares my duffy stance,sometimes its interesting,alot of the time he's just trolling.

to FlutterinBantam:
    statement was in relation to people getting so angry :)

The only one getting angry seems to be berliner, president of the Joe Duffy fan club(#members=1). Either that or his caps lock is stuck. :)

104 Capslock Doesnt = Autowin

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

to FlutterinBantam:
    statement was in relation to people getting so angry :)

Absolutely. Just because he's an asinine banal facile egotistical patronising talentless vacuous windbag of a tool doesn't mean he's a jerk.

The only one getting angry seems to be berliner, president of the Joe Duffy fan club(#members=1). Either that or his caps lock is stuck. :)

Is probably from Walkinstown and wore an anorak in the 80's , and played the underprivileged and deprived card which was believed by the masses,who instead of telling them to go and fcuk themselves actually tolerated them and gave them positions of trust.

Biiig mistake.

Is probably from Walkinstown and wore an anorak in the 80's , and played the underprivileged and deprived card which was believed by the masses,who instead of telling them to go and fcuk themselves actually tolerated them and gave them positions of trust.
    :D
    whats worse is when duffys show is handled by the other guy.
    you really see the difference,hes wayyy too nice and gets talked down real easy

is_that_so wrote: »
    And why would that be? Being an expert you should be able to tell me. You should also be able to counter my arguments. I am happy to be shown the error of my ways. Beyond platitudes towards the aforementioned "Red" Joe Duffy I see little of that.
    You sound jealous that a working class guy made it big.You call him a "red" and other communist insults.what's that got to do with anything.Citing o'gorman and kenny makes me think you haven't a clue.That's my final word on the legend that is Joe Duffy.

You sound jealous that a working class guy made it big.You call him a "red" and other communist insults.what's that got to do with anything.Citing o'gorman and kenny makes me think you haven't a clue.That's my final word on the legend that is Joe Duffy.
    em...i think the seriousness of your argument just exploded

• Advertisement
Advertisement