Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That jerk Duffy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

is_that_so wrote: »
    But he's a member of the proletariat.

I think this is deeply patronising BS.

Duffy's attitude towards the proletariat is that they are an undifferentiated intellectual blancmange in which none of them could possibly say anything from a more informed position on any topic than any other, because they're all morons and nobody with a working class background will ever be anything other than a moron and we should be happy with the soma of 5 minutes airtime while our betters get on with deciding how we live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Joe Duffy is the best broadcaster in Ireland at the moment.Wouldn't miss Liveline if could help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

shewer, shewer, gwan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Duffy is a joke, a broadcaster of garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Well I'll tell you this much,he had a geezer on last week from Tallaght IT,and he treated him,on air,like like a frikken ass wipe!!!

Accused him of not being awake.

If he treated me like that, I would have told him to apologise right now, or go and fcuk himself. On air.

Can't believe how he got away with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

If he treated me like that, I would have told him to apologise right now, or go and fcuk himself. On air.
    lol i'd love to hear that :D

Well some day you will, 'cause the guy is gettin to me!!

Well I'll tell you this much,he had a geezer on last week from Tallaght IT,and he treated him,on air,like like a frikken ass wipe!!!

Accused him of not being awake.

Can't believe how he got away with that.
    Joe was right.That guy from Tallaght was a gob****e if ever there was one.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Duffy is a joke, a broadcaster of garbage.
    I'd love to know who you think is better ...name someone instead of knocking an being negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

he had a geezer on last week from Tallaght IT,

I heard that show I think he mentioned "Women crawling around on on all four's" about 4 million times :D

:eek:what was that show about??? :confused:
    im starting to miss the outlandish madness that i hear on it when im at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was the Newbies Ball(ing) night or something at one of the Dens of Higher Education was'nt it?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I heard that Tallaght IT guy and although he wasn't answering all the questions, Joe was completely out of order. He kept saying 'You're not stupid, you did your Leaving Cert', while the wagon who was complaining cackled in the background. I can assure you, Joey boy, that many stupid people have done their LC. He was just being patronising.

The wagon who complained was awful. She kept going on about how RAG week was about promoting the rights of women, that there are many ways of doing that that don't involve strippers. Feck off, RAG week is about charity, but mostly about fun. If you don't like it, you don't go.

Joe loved her though, he was completely on her side.

Joe gets paid €367,800.

That's just over a grand a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

tbh wrote: »
    Joe gets paid €367,800.

That's just over a grand a day.

Have to say "the Duff" is one annoying arsewhole - has definately one of the grating accents on air - I blame it all on Byrne who encouraged this talentless asswype to inflict himself on us ..

• Advertisement

He really excelled himself today Wed.

Some priest complaining about magic shows .
    I was only half listening at work but any person with an IQ over 45 would have realised the priest was off the wall/doo lally/away with the faries/ after about 20 secs.!!!!!

Yet the Duffer dragged the thing on for about an hour:eek:

For why!!! to stir up middle Ireland and get controversy where none exists and jack up show profile.

What an absolute jerk.

It was hilarious, so I enjoyed it, but I was talking to a fellow fan at the start, and we both agreed that it was a strange item to start with, as that item usually gets the bulk of the airtime. The whole issue should have been confined to the light-relief spot, the five or ten minutes in between the main story.

50 seconds max Teebs!!!

Duffy should have told the guy to check in to a fcuker funny farm and don't be making a show of himself and his company(Catholic Church).

I feel sorry for the good guys in that organisation who have to put up with these
    flaky cnunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The whole thing was turned into a circus.

The Diocesan Office of Limerick contacted Liveline with a press release at 1pm, basically denouncing said nutty-magic-hating-priest in so many words.

Yet, the production team still turn the whole show into a circus, prompting the Diocesan secretary to contact the show at 14.50 to state almost angrily that the press release was not read out, to wit, he proceeded to read out the PR verbatim.

Joe Duffy stated on air the they hadn't received anything and the secretary responded by stating he had the log from the fax machine.

I never took Mr. Justice Paul Carney's comments about the journalistic standards of the Liveline production team seriously until today. They have obviously abandoned what little ethics they had by playing Agent-Provocateur, no doubt to allow RTE shill their already lucrative lunchtime ad-slots.

Obviously they didn't give a hoot about the feelings of the two children at the heart of this 'controversy'.

Tabloid radio at its worst. Shame on RTE and shame on the Liveline production team.

Absolutely DW. The subject matter was totally ignored, and Duffy just bored into some poor fcuker who is to be more pitied than litened to.

And we the listeners and licence payers can have no redress on this.

No point in e-mailing, all you will get is an automatic reply.

Not good enough for 450k, not good enough at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

To think that my licence fee goes somewhat to pay for the utter and complete ****e that is aired on Liveline just infuriates and disgusts me.

The last time i listened was the friday afternoon where berties counsel had a strip torn off him by Judge Alan Mahon.

The jist of the show was "was it unfair that Ceila Larkins familys name is getting dragged into the Mahon tribunal". My first reaction was YES...of course its relevent and must be looked at...but NO...all we get is these GOB****ES on the radio saying "oohhh its just not fair...its not fair..berties a nice man..its sooo not fair"...but then,by the mercy of God himself,a very well spoken,intelligent,articulate woman comes on air,explaining to the nation why it IS relevent and that bertie holds the highest political office in the nation and any monies that went into or outta his St Lukes accounts must be explained...she then made a comment along the lines of "Should Bertie and Celia be shown up as the Bonnie and Clyde of Irish Politics"....but before she could finish JOE cut her off saying "get that woman off air...thats libalous!!!!"

So then we went back to the plebs and simpletons crying "ohhh its just not fair...berties a nice lad...its just not right to snoop into someones private life!!!!

For the LOVE OF GOD RTE........SPARE US!!!!!!!!

Clytus wrote: »

So then we went back to the plebs and simpletons crying "ohhh its just not fair...berties a nice lad...its just not right to snoop into someones private life!!!!

For the LOVE OF GOD RTE........SPARE US!!!!!!!!

Go "the CLY" ! My sentiments exactly - good on yah mate !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

What are people's opinions on the Liveline show. I find it rather annoying. Instead of being an objective presenter occasionaly adopting role of "devils advocate" Duffy seems to subtely revel in stiring things up, feigning ignorance, piety and sanctimony and general engaging in sensationalist mob justice. What does the show achieve? It's just a jumped up version of those late night call shows where people with opposing views are played off against each other.
    Also Duffy seems to let his personal leanings/beliefs determine the tone of the show. Anway he just annoys me and the format of the show annoys me and he seems intollerant of opposing views his his, is grumpy/short/dismissive at times.
    He tries to play amateur psychologist and moral guardian on complex issues where lynch mob attitude is'nt acceptable. Yesterday instead of having an expert on about the family tragedy in Wexford he was deliberatley or naively stirring things ups and playing to the ignorant tabloid side of the discussion.
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Merged...

Joe Duffys has become a lazy sod, he's got that job for life if he wants it. It shows.
    All the observations above are bang-on, Liveline is tabloid format these days.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    All the observations above are bang-on, Liveline is tabloid format these days.
    Damn right Mike, Mondays' show was an absolute disgrace and I was a bit perplexed that it didn't elicit a reaction on boards (maybe the average boards user isn't in the Liveline demographic?).

Basically, the entire show was about the recent tragedy in Wexford. During one caller stating that the father of the family was mentally ill and should be forgiven, I recall Duffy interjecting with "but he shot dem drough the head.....drough their heads...". His comments could be described as prurient and reactionary at best.

...and what issue of national import did he cover today? Keith Duffy's mystery illness.

I wonder what the 20-year old Joe Duffy, then president of the TCD Communist Society, would have made of the shill that he ultimately became.

Which of course goes to show that Duffy/Ryan/Tubbo/Fanning.. etc can be "bought" and are being "bought"by the movers and shakers.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, and how that Duffy story got on to Liveline(that's K Duffy) other than a barefaced stunt to publicise the forthcoming tour.Jaysus, I never heard anything so contrived and downright blatant free publicity in my life,done by Duffy at our frikken expence.

Jaysus its great,we set up the station,pay for the day to day running and allow these gimps to use it for their own aggrandisment!!!!

We deserve what we get!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was listening to the very intresting comments made on the show yesterday by the mother who's daughter was the victim of a serious sexual assult .She was reacting to the comments of a priest who was declaring how the rapist of a polish womon in ireland, should be forgiven blah blah .She informed the priest that he was in no position to ask anybody to forgive anybody and had not a clue about the suffering and feelings of the victims and he (priest) seemed more concerned about the rapist than the victim also adding ,'' you lot have drove more people away and ( the church ) are the biggest rapists of the lot covering up for each other '' .

She spoke her mind very well imo . :)

She did indeed,but she would have been better channeling her anger against all lawbreakers instead of a priest who was only stating facts and not looking for any lenience for someone who committed a heinous crime.

If everyone in Clondalkin came out so vehemently against the scummers who sell drugs/steal cars/rob banks/behave anti socially ,maybe we wouldn't have such a crime problem.

She did indeed,but she would have been better channeling her anger against all lawbreakers instead of a priest who was only stating facts and not looking for any lenience for someone who committed a heinous crime.

Aye but i think she was just angry listening to this priest giving out the usual spew as if they have a better insight into the human condition , they dont and forgivness is somthing for the individual to make .Not sure i could find it in my heart to forgive anybody who hurt a member of my family in a serious way, specialy if they showed lilttle or no real remorse.
    If everyone in Clondalkin came out so vehemently against the scummers who sell drugs/steal cars/rob banks/behave anti socially ,maybe we wouldn't have such a crime problem.

Society in general lives in fear of speaking out publicly against criminals .It is not helped that our politicians dont give more power to judges to hand out hard stiffer longer, sentences for such crimes .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Great it's unfunny friday again today...looks like I'll be listening to Edith Bowman for the afternoon...

Funny friday indeed .As soon as the sombody comes on singing a ditty to the latest celeb/politicians/scandel i switch over to bbc radio 2 .

About as unfunny as radio can get imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I like Joe Duffy.

I used to hate him on the GB show but I feel he's really come on well. He is guilty of hearing something eg "I'm 43 years of age" and Joe would ask a few moments later "What age are you??"

Joe Duffy is brilliant.Superb radio.I really enjoy it except for the "funny friday" show which isn't funny.

berliner wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is brilliant.Superb radio.I really enjoy it except for the "funny friday" show which isn't funny.
    how many times have ya said that now? you really love the duffmeister dont ya ;)

Nerin wrote: »
    how many times have ya said that now? you really love the duffmeister dont ya ;)
    Damn, I've been rumbled.I love Joe...errrr but not that way...errr...great radio ect....ok,no more joe duffy postings from me...the games up!

SIPTU fella from Clonmel gave it to Duffy up the whole today.

The Duff was trying to up the anti as he normally does to highlight the SIPTU attitude to the goons who were sacked in Bulmers for the UTube vid.

In fairness to the SIPTU geezer he sowed it into Duffy and won the argument hands down.

The Dufficer was trying to stir the Shít as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

God that American girl standing in for Duffy is brutal . I heard her presenting music shows before but she aint suited to "talk to joe". She seems stuck between being her persona on the music show and trying to be like Joe(god help the girl I suppose).

Canadian ;) but very true with everything else, she is trying to be like Joe.

• Advertisement

She's brutal.

Greenman wrote: »
    She's brutal.

Look this thread is about Duffy - lets cut to the chase - the guy's a freekin lazy horsebox - sated with his big salary doing lazy radio...lazy lazy radio.
    Probably fcuked off for the summer now ...show being taken over by wannabees - Jeeze did you hear the one thats standing in for Fatt Gerry - Kee- rist!! Risable:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

She's not suited to the role but still better than whatever other female presenter was doing locum last year on liveline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Sidebar point.

Atrocious locum presenters ( except Derek Davis ) aside has Liveline run it's natural course and is it in need of a decent burial this summer ?

UrbanFox wrote: »
    Sidebar point.

Atrocious locum presenters ( except Derek Davis ) aside has Liveline run it's natural course and is it in need of a decent burial this summer ?

Agree with the bushy tailed boy on this one - still some life left in LIVELINE with a decent presenter - not that fat cnunt Duffy or especially that Canadian bint who is fcukin pathetic..who the fcuk hired her -far too polite and ...well fcukin sanitised ! No fcukin PASSION - at least the Ballyer gimp has a bit o that..

Maybe Joe organises the standins, chooses dreadful ones hoping they won't threaten his job.

Just a thought.

I still think there must be someone really good out there in local radio land that could really grab that show by the scruff. Any suggestions with a link to their site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

jenny houston seems to be everywhere theese days , she had a spot on gerry ryan for a while this past yr or so where she talked ****e about how women need to be more in touch with there bodies and such

shes got an incredibly slow way of speaking and while presumably trying to sound sexy with that breathy voice , shes completly charmless

that said , she has great taste in music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

jenny houston seems to be everywhere theese days , she had a spot on gerry ryan for a while this past yr or so where she talked ****e about how women need to be more in touch with there bodies and such

shes got an incredibly slow way of speaking and while presumably trying to sound sexy with that breathy voice , shes completly charmless

that said , she has great taste in music

She reminds me of that bird in the film "The Fog" who was a late night DJ with a smouldering voice who did her broadcasts from a local lighthouse ! Look out behind you Houston it's Duffy ....Yoiks.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Johnathon Swift

Greenman wrote: »
    Maybe Joe organises the standins, chooses dreadful ones hoping they won't threaten his job.

Just a thought.

I still think there must be someone really good out there in local radio land that could really grab that show by the scruff. Any suggestions with a link to their site.

There was a really good guy on the morning current affairs show on LMFM, but he left to go to RTE. Don't know what he's doing in there now though

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    She reminds me of that bird in the film "The Fog" who was a late night DJ with a smouldering voice who did her broadcasts from a local lighthouse ! Look out behind you Houston it's Duffy ....Yoiks.....:)

Adrienne Barbeau. Nice!

In other business I see Liveline got RTE sued again, the chap Trevor Brennan lamped during a European Cup tie with Ulster got 50 grand. Talk is cheap.

Mike.

Tell us more Mike.

I remember the day he was on.

How come he got 50k of our dosh??

• Advertisement
Advertisement