Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

not 1 call from carzone 550+ but views in a week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cyrus wrote: »
    top notch? not according to anyone else?:)
    To be fair, it's better than the other Mk4 Golfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd take an Audi TT over a Boxter any day of teh week.

The TT is an amazing piece of styling, still looks the biz now. The interior is fantastic and - with the coupe - you get an extra pair of seats. Only big enough for kids or shopping but better than none. With a 1.8 it's cheaper to run, tax and insure. It's a standard VAG engine so servicing and parts are cheaper. It's not a Porsche so you don't get the attitude from other drivers (ever try pulling into stop start traffic in a 911? It takes a while). And it's not like the Audi is slow; 0-60 in 7.6 seconds and a top speed of 139 on a first gen car. Slower than the Boxster but not signifigant enough to worry you in the real world. Handling on the TT is also top notch and the advantage of all wheel drive for the 365 days of rain we get.

In skilled hands the Porsche will be faster round a track. And it has a better badge. Beyond that the TT has every advantage.

in my opinion :p

Those seats in the back of the TT are the most useless things ever. I'm by no means a 'big man' but I have never been as uncomfortable in my life as when i sat in the back of my brothers TT - and getting out of it was as embarassing as it was uncomfortable. Sitting in the drivers seat and actually driving the thing is completly differnt though - would love to own it myself, but I know i'd be going to the cinema with mates in thegirl friends micra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

They are strictly for kids or adults with no legs... Or more probably for you to throw your shopping onto!

As for teh critiques of teh TT's handling... Like I said the Porsche would - with a skilled driver - be the faster track car. No one doubts it handles better and I personally prefer RWD to quattro or FWD. From the short test drives I've had in the TT my own opinion is that it might lack communication compared to the likes of a Lotus or a Porsche but it grips and it goes, so I wouldn't write it off as a sports car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote: »
    To be fair, it's better than the other Mk4 Golfs.

Ouch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

roughan wrote: »
    OK Getting back on track lads i will update the photos over the weekend and see how we get on
    Bear in mind its only up a week !
    R

Stop advertising it on boards and you might get a more realistic hit count.

P.S. its up longer than a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

slideways wrote: »
    No i have a golf gt tdi, badges removed, had an m3, licence couldnt take it. would rather own a 20 year old 911 than a wanna be porsche like the boxter

Oh sweet Moses... Another deluded individual who knocks a boxter, but owns a gee tea ... tea dee aye.... Suppose it has a red tea and red dee and red eye and red everything, and chipped and remapped and all?
    We should rename it He-Car.. the most powerful car in the Universe!!
    "By the power of Volkswagen.... I HAVE THE POWER!!"
    I suppose it does 400,000 miles to the tank too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

The TT is an amazing piece of styling, still looks the biz now. The interior is fantastic and - with the coupe - you get an extra pair of seats. Only big enough for kids or shopping but better than none. With a 1.8 it's cheaper to run, tax and insure. It's a standard VAG engine so servicing and parts are cheaper. It's not a Porsche so you don't get the attitude from other drivers (ever try pulling into stop start traffic in a 911? It takes a while). And it's not like the Audi is slow; 0-60 in 7.6 seconds and a top speed of 139 on a first gen car. Slower than the Boxster but not signifigant enough to worry you in the real world. Handling on the TT is also top notch and the advantage of all wheel drive for the 365 days of rain we get.

In skilled hands the Porsche will be faster round a track. And it has a better badge. Beyond that the TT has every advantage.

After reading all that I know you've never driven either car. I had a 225 quattro TT under my backside for 4 weeks in the uk a few years back and it was a pig to drive. Not even the most biased TT owner claims that this car is little more than average going round a bend. Nippy in a straight line, not very refined engine, average reliablilty (you obviously never heard the horror stories about the turbos going pop and speedos packing up that reqularly pop up about these cars) and very little difference in cabin and boot space compared with the boxster.

Say what you like about the porsche and its right to wear the badge, its in a different class to the TT. Beaut of an engine that sounds just great when pushed on, bullitproof, it handles like a proper 2 seater sports car should. Its just as cheap to run too. I only got to drive one for the first time last weekend in a female friends one but 10 mins just wasn't enough.

As for the TDI Golf comments??? Get a life lads the gti is nothing more than a road going lawnmower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

cpoh1 wrote: »
    I only got to drive one for the first time last weekend in a female friends one

Says it all really!

The porsche boxter is a childrens TV presenters car!!

The TDI might be a farmers car but its a mans car!!! a real sheep scaring,udder squeezing,cattle trailer pulling mans car!!

:D:D

Sorry but this thread has decsended into a farce,comparing golfs to boxters and complimenting MK1 TTs on there handling ha! a MK1 TT handles like a hovercraft!

Not to mention the "f@*k you with your porsche thats not a porsche brigade"

The fact of the matter is the original posters add reaks of dodgyness,wont admit how many owners it has had,puts up pics presumably taken 10 years ago when he bought it new in the UK or sorry a member of his family bought it!!

Has crashed it at least once and is not being honest about it!!!

Has seriously over valued the car!!

Wants to get another one but wont deal with porsche dealer???

Where does it stop?

In fact i would go as far as saying your best bet is to take it off carzone and lie low for a few months as if you put it up with new pictures next week any potential customer who was watching carzone for a boxter is going to smell an even bigger rat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

I'd take an Audi TT over a Boxter any day of teh week. The TT is an amazing piece of styling, still looks the biz now.:p

Older version TT looks like a fat guy sat on a VW Beetle.

New one a bit better but nothing special.

Boxster looks as a proper sportscar.

Just the external unbiased view of someone who has never driven, nor will ever own either.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    After reading all that I know you've never driven either car.

Different strokes for different folks. I have driven a friends TT and I enjoyed it at the time, though that was 7 years ago before I had as much experience either on the track or with fast road cars. It's certainly a car I'll consider when I no longer need 4 seats!

I have never driven a Boxter, although I was offered the chance the last time I was up with Belgard. It simply doesn't appeal to me so why bother.

The point I was trying to make is that someone spending 20 - 30K on a fun car has a lot of choice and the TT is one of the cars that they may consider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

tossy wrote: »
    Says it all really!

Has crashed it at least once and is not being honest about it!!!

Has seriously over valued the car!!

Wants to get another one but wont deal with porsche dealer???

Where does it stop?

!

Car never "CRASHED"
    i drove over something which cut 2 pipes which were replaced by Porsche Dublin

Car price in line with all others for that year

Car has 2 owners as per the Advert

the sticker in the window all the "detectives" were referring to as a uk tax disk is the PCI sticker ...how i laughed..

1 main dealer in Ireland 1 just one as u can imagine limited stock do u think i would find a 987 in merlin motor city ?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭seasam

2 Owners now !! It may not have been "Crashed" but the car hasn't had the life you are trying to say it's had. Would you be happy spending 25,000 on the car and then reading this thread afterwards ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Speaking of TTs, the only lad I know that owns a TT is also the only lad I know that irons his hair.

My 11 year old daughter likes these guys, who also iron their hair:
    mcfly460.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Today's version of the advert, it had said one owner before that.
    The picture by the lake looks good. Thought you'd get rid of the dealer style ones but they're still in there.

I work 9 to 5
    when i get home its dark
    weekends i play football
    sunday hungover..
    i think they are good pics
    i dont think any prospective buyer will analayse them as much
    they will probably just go and drive the car and bring it to a specalisit to do a check on .
    have to laugh at some of the replies thought most people cant even spell the car name correctly yet they seem to be experts on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I work 9 to 5
    when i get home its dark
    weekends i play football
    sunday hungover..
    I think if you were that bothered about selling the car maybe you could put the effort in not to get drnk on saturday night and try a little instead if moaning on here.
    Personally i think most people who are going to splash that much cash on a car are going to want dealer back up nd will buy one from a trader with waranty..

slideways wrote: »
    I think if you were that bothered about selling the car maybe you could put the effort in not to get drnk on saturday night and try a little instead if moaning on here.
    Personally i think most people who are going to splash that much cash on a car are going to want dealer back up nd will buy one from a trader with waranty..

First u try to convince me the golf is superior and now u want me to stay in on sat nights? :rolleyes:

This Thread should be in AH
    i have to laugh at the Irish mentality
    i asked for advice on an add..
    i was expecting some friendly tips
    but noooooooooo

instead i was subject to investigation ,riddicule,envy, accused of moaning
    stated various big debates ,etc
    and now someone in a " tae day jay tae eye" wants me to stay in on the weekends????????

First u try to convince me the golf is superior and now u want me to stay in on sat nights? :rolleyes:
    I never said that, what i said was i would take the golf over the hairdressers car... keep the fecking thing so, you prob can afford to have 2 what with you working 9 to 5 five days a week!!

A boxster (boxSter) is not a hairdressers Car
    its a performance mid engined roadster with a flat 6 engine
    that will hit 60 in a little over 6 seconds and go on to touch 150mph
    I Doubt you have even sat in one never mind driven one
    you cant even spell the name of it right

hairdressers cars are mx5 streetka etc

there was a survey done a while ago about which car most hairdressers drove........ it was a vw Golf!!!!
    im trying to find the link now!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

This thread is fùcking hilarious!!! Is the car up to 3 owners yet?

Gettin horrid touchy about a little bit of slaggin...
    Would only sit in one if my burberry cap was pulled well down and the hood was up!!!!

Kenny 5 wrote: »
    This thread is fùcking hilarious!!! Is the car up to 3 owners yet?

Not yet i think slideways is gonna make me an offer for it any min now!;)

I'm bidding on behalf of the only gay lawyer in the village..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cyrus wrote: »
    top notch? not according to anyone else?:)

Well it is according to me. And I've had 2. And 2 Porsches. In real world traffic conditions and weather, the TT is, for me, the quicker car cross-country. I used to have an Urquattro - now, a modern equivalent of that would be better than any of them........big and fast.

On a motorway, the Porsches are, probably, better.........

But the TT is good until the 'lil ones are..........4? After that, they tend to have.......legs. So, either I get out the grinder and shorten the rear seat base :eek:.........or try a modern 911.

Guess I'll try option no.2 - but need to get SO to drive one, first.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Funny that your list of priorities has Image and looks in first place....whether you ment to or not.......Looks are the reason for 99.9% of TT purchases....Nothing wrong with that....its a handsome car with a good image.
    The Boxster however is in a different division.....at this level looks dont realy come into it....its more about driving dynamics and fun.
    Drive them back to back, if you still think the TT is better than the Boxster you should call a undertaker as you are probably dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Car never "CRASHED"
    i drove over something which cut 2 pipes which were replaced by Porsche Dublin

Car price in line with all others for that year

the sticker in the window all the "detectives" were referring to as a uk tax disk is the PCI sticker ...how i laughed..

1 main dealer in Ireland 1 just one as u can imagine limited stock do u think i would find a 987 in merlin motor city ?
    :rolleyes:

How about gettin yerself up North........Porsche Ireland are Muppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51421018&postcount=18
    Roughan wrote:
    I Brought in a 98 Boxster with 47k on it FPSH,Heated seated ,On board Computer,full leather and was charged VRT of 9300
    all in car was 32250 seems a bit steep for an 8 yr old car but im full confident of it holding its value Well
    nothing but Crap on Carzone.ie
    From these numbers you paid around 23,000 euro in the UK or about 15,600 STG based on the rate in May '06.

Since then sterling and second hand prices have slid so you're probably going to have to take a further hit on depreciation to sell. I doubt you'll get even 20K. At least your replacement car will be cheaper as I guess you're going to source it in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

its been in the family since new with every service stamp by Porsche Dublin
    Originally Posted by Roughan
    I Brought in a 98 Boxster with 47k on it FPSH,Heated seated ,On board Computer,full leather and was charged VRT of 9300
    all in car was 32250 seems a bit steep for an 8 yr old car but im full confident of it holding its value Well

You seem to have bought this car in 2006 in the UK. Was this from a family member like you said? I feel that's unlikely since you seem to have been looking on carzone.ie at that time and think you'd have mentioned it in your 2006 post if you did.

Even more strangely, this UK import has all it's service stamps from Porsche Dublin??

This kind of stuff woulf make even bertie blush at a tribunal!
    Before you have a go at me, this thread wouldn't have close to 3,000 posts in a few days if you'd been more upfront about the whole thing in your ad.

• Advertisement

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Funny that your list of priorities has Image and looks in first place....whether you ment to or not.......Looks are the reason for 99.9% of TT purchases....Nothing wrong with that....its a handsome car with a good image.
    The Boxster however is in a different division.....at this level looks dont realy come into it....its more about driving dynamics and fun.
    Drive them back to back, if you still think the TT is better than the Boxster you should call a undertaker as you are probably dead.

That's because I was trying to explain why you would want a TT over a Boxster. Since the Boxster is the better dynamic car and the TT the better looking car you start with your strongest cards! :p

Once again the reason I was drawn into debating a TT is taht I said anyone punting 20 - 30K into a "fun" car has a lot of choice, which would include the TT. I would buy a TT before a Boxster but neither would be my first choice.

If I was in the market for a modern sportscar I'd buy something like this and trouser the huge savings on purchase price, tax and fuel over the OPs car while still having one of the best cars in the world under me. As it happens I prefer classic cars anyway (why pay VRT and tax if you don't have to?)

When you're spending that sort of money you're spoilt for choice. This for weekend cruise and pose. This because it's newer and looks amazing. This or this if I'm after a bloody good car. If I can push the budget for a track car I'd buy this but if I had to have a Porsche it would be this

So the point I was trying to make is that the OP is up against a lot of competition and needs to make his car stand out in the ads. Being less than honest about it's history (eg not stating in the ad that it's a UK import) means you may get more calls but they won't buy because they won't believe your not hiding anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement