Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red river in Wicklow mnts.??

Options
  • 30-01-2008 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

When I was in wicklow mnts. in august, I found out that river there is red coloured - any idea why??? ist it because those red flowers??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sometimes the water in mountain streams can be a sort of orangey-brown colour if that's what you mean? If so it's the turf, or peat as it's sometimes known, that the water passes through that gives it that colour.

Otherwise, iron ore deposits in rocks can sometimes give water an orangey-red colour, but I'm not sure if there are any streams in the Wicklow Mountains that would fall into that category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Diwiak

Great, thanks very much!! Another mystery solved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

After heavy rain the rivers around here turn a orangey reddish colour, I guess its ore of some sort all right and mud !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement