Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Chicken Runs

Options
  • 30-01-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Im currently building a permanent run for my hens as they have outgrown the run on the movable ark. Theres 2 full size hens and a bantam so I will be building a 12' x 4 run, covered with wire about 6' high. What experiences have any hen-keepers here had in re: pitfalls and advantages of permanent runs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I have one built about 10 years ago, and the wood frame is now rotting (the hens are gone from me).

When I had it built, I made sure that it would have a wall about a foot high at the bottom all round, and the chainlink went down about 18" and out a couple of feet from there, so anyone trying to dig would have a nice long dig and then strike chainlink.

It's a good idea to make a henhouse one end of it, and to have the laying nest accessible from the outside (for you, not foxes!) by having a little sliding door on it that you can bolt shut and padlock from outside.

Also, make sure it's easy to get into to clean it out. Even if you put in lots of wood shavings, the land inside will go sour and you'll have to lime it if you don't dig it out regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

Thanks for that. Great ideas. I dont understand the "land going sour" however. Could you explain as I have never heard of that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Land going sour - you will get a build up of parasites if any animal is kept on same piece of land without resting it.

Will your birds be confined to the run permanently or allowed time out to free range as well?

Ours have a 20' x 12' run, which also has their house in it but they are only confined last thing in the evening before shutting up and early morning. Rest of the time they free-range wherever. For this reason we concreted the run at start of Summer & it was a joy to maintain during all the wet weather. Have the same set up for our ducks too and works even better for them - they're really messy beggars!

But concrete is really only OK if they are not spending all time in the run, otherwise they can't scratch & grub up the soil - and what else would a chicken do all day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

due to circumstances, they wont be allowed to free range during the day

Advertisement