Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Raimi Developing Wizard's First Rule

Options
  • 30-01-2008 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

Sam Raimi Developing Wizard's First Rule
    Source: The Hollywood Reporter
    January 29, 2008

"Spider-Man" franchise director Sam Raimi is teaming with Disney-ABC Domestic Television and ABC Studios on a new first-run, live-action weekly series targeted for a fall launch, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The series, titled "Wizard's First Rule," is based on Terry Goodkind's best-selling epic fantasy series "The Sword of Truth."

"Sword" follows the extraordinary transformation of woodsman Richard Cypher into a magical leader who joins with a mysterious woman to stop a bloodthirsty tyrant.

Raimi is executive producing the hourlong series with Robert Tapert (The Grudge), Joshua Donen (The Quick and the Dead) and "Xena: Warrior Princess" production executive Ned Nalle. Disney-ABC Domestic TV is distributing, and ABC Studios is producing.

Production on 22 episodes is slated to begin in May.

"Wizard's First Rule," Goodkind's first installment in the "Sword of Truth" series, was published in 1994, followed by 10 additional titles.

Opinions? Anyone a fan of the books? The fact that the producer from Xena is in on it worries me. I hope they dont go for that fantasy/comedy angle like Xena or Buffy or whatever cause it ruins it for me.

Will have to wait and see I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I enjoyed some of the earlier books, but as the series went on, it got a bit tedious and I thought the stories themselves became weaker.

WFR itself, though, should make an interesting movie....if they get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Bigtime. He totally lost the plot in the later novels but the first 3 or 4 were really good I thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I wonder if the movies will go into as much detail about all the rapes as the books do.

that man likes his rape.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Very underwhelmed by the series (read the first two books). I think there's far more deserving ones out there, although maybe the project got more attention because it often seemed to be about the ends justifying the means for your country/mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Faith of the Fallen is an absolute work of art, fantastically good book. Only other book of his I've read is Pillars of Creation, which was a fairly solid read, and very very dark at times, but nothing spectacular. Have to say I'm quite looking forward to this, even if I didnt think much of the spiderman films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Let's hope they cut out Goodkind's preaching. I thought the early books were good but then they just became the very dull and repetitive moral teachings of the author.

Advertisement