Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable housing - prices and locations

Options
  • 30-01-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Just looking for opinions on where/location and the cost of these property's being offered by DCC on the affordable housing scheme?

Probably going to put myself on the list and wondering whats offered at what price etc...

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They offer apts to most applicants. Some do get offers thru the DDDA for example.

Its a hit and miss outside the city centre, some do be built in downmarket areas where you really have no choice if your desperate not to be put at back of queue because of refusal of offer.
    As for prices, they are mostly half of what the current market prices are at the moment, that should be a guide (for Affordable scheme not Initiative)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dsender

I assume you can refuse an offer as many times as you like on DCC? Is tough to get somewhere decent around the city, waiting long?
    Is the initiative applicable to people earning over 40k applying for affordable housing?
    Sorry for the questions, can of worms it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭starky

dsender wrote: »
    Just looking for opinions on where/location and the cost of these property's being offered by DDA on the affordable housing scheme?

Probably going to put myself on the list and wondering whats offered at what price etc...

Thanks.

I was fairly lucky on the scheme, I have been offered one by the DDA, (DCC manages their offers) it’s a two bed. My best advice is be good at waiting. :-) and be strict with where you make your choices for the draws.

There is no point picking an area that you are not going to be happy living in. Of course the less choices you tick the less chance you have of being selected. But with DCC once you are on the list for 6 months you get entered into the draw for each property twice, and then once you are on it 18 months you get put on the list of each draw three times. The problem is they only do two draws a year. The lead time is fairly long, I am waiting since summer 06, not complaining as that’s just the way it is. Its given me time to save and prepare my mental state for the commitment of a mortgage :-)

You will get offered a place eventually. I was offered a place before the one I am currently considering, but I turned it down, it was out of my price range slightly and the area did not really suit. I figured that If I did not take it then some one else has a chance that may have wanted that area. DCC did not penalise my for this, I asked them before deciding to turn down the offer, so remember if you are offered a place you can turn it down, although I would not go making a habit of it, as there is probably a big admin over head running the scheme.

The DCC affordable draws are audited by a third party, I think its KPMG so you can be sure they are fair. When I was not getting picked I have to be honest I though it was all a bit of a scam ;-)

To answer your questions prices range from 180,000 to 300,000 one beds tend to be in the range 180,000 to 220,000 two beds 225,000 to 270,000 and the odd three bed house for 300,000 ish.

They are located all over the DCC area so there should be some where to suit you. Don’t for get there are other councils that you can apply to in the Dublin area, however I am not as familiar with there schemes as I am DCC, as I wanted to live in the CC.

I know that is more general info on the entire scheme, the DDA is just one small area of the DCC general AH scheme so I guess its better to fill you in on the wider DCC scheme as it’s the way to get a place in the docklands thought AH.

Any more questions ask away! :-)

I assume you can refuse an offer as many times as you like on DCC? Is tough to get somewhere decent around the city, waiting long?
    Is the initiative applicable to people earning over 40k applying for affordable housing?
    Sorry for the questions, can of worms it seems.

up to 55K for AH with DCC
    wait times about 18 - 24 months
    not tough to get some where around the city, but it will take a long time (1-2 years)

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dsender

So basically get on the list asap. Do you have to consistantly save a certain amount once on the list?

• Advertisement

So basically get on the list asap. Do you have to consistantly save a certain amount once on the list?

Well its not a requirement of getting a place. However its always a good idea to be saving money :-). You need to make sure that if you do get offered a place you can finance it. DCC will ask you to prove you can get a loan to cover the cost of the apartment. You may need savings as a deposit. It is 3% in most cases, although EBS offer 100% loans now for AH. And as I am paying way less then the value of the place getting an 100% loan for me better as I can use my savings to furnish the place. Even if I did pay the 3% deposit it would be about 6/7 k. that would not leave me with any money to buy stuff to sit on though.
    Saying that though I think other councils stipulate a requirement to demonstrate savings before you are added to their respective lists.

Advertisement