Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temperature of a 8800 GTS (320mb)

Options
  • 30-01-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought an 8800 GTS (320 mb) before Xmas, and it is working fine. However, I have noticed that the temperature is running at 65' Celsius when idle, and gets up to approx 80' Celsius when playing games (Crysis, etc).

Does anyone know what the recommended temperature should be for this card (I've checked Nvidia's website but cannot find any info).

(Also, the fan on the GPU is running at 100% (by choice) when the temperature gets over 65' but it doesn't seem to help).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

My 320mb 8800GTS runs at 61deg idle, and thats prob coz it has EVGAs custom heatsink on it, you should be ok, also these GPUs are designed to reach 120deg no problems, I wouldnt be worried bout 80deg while playing games

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

if you're worried just take off the heatsink (it'll void the warranty but at the rate graphics change you'll have a new one before it dies) and clean off the current thermal paste and replace it with something like artic silver and that will give you a decent temp drop. or if you're feeling dangerous you could do this or buy a third party cooler :D

oh and those temps are fine, but to let you know the card will start acting weird at 85 and black screen at 95. Black screening won't do damage, it'll just shut you're system down in a similar way to a CPU getting too hot

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Cheers for the peace of mind, guys!!!:)

Advertisement