Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Be Costly Riding In A Group From Now On !!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Had to happen didnt it, many thanks to the yanks for importing "lawyers"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The insurance included in a race licence or Cycling Ireland membership should cover you in this situation (third party injury). It's well worth having whether you race or not.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/html/site/technical/licences.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Borderfox wrote: »
    Had to happen didnt it, many thanks to the yanks for importing "lawyers"

Huh? The lawyers are employed by the people taking the case. If one rider had no desire to sue another rider, in this case, then the lawyers wouldn't be involved so this situation can hardly be blamed on lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

stupid case, if you ask me.
    Common sense says ride far enough back so that you have time to stop if the person in front screws up. I'm pretty sure the rules of the road say the same. If you break this rule for a race, then the risk is on your own shoulders.
    I know group riding means riding close to the person in front, but that's the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Just thinking where is yer man gonna get the 370k to pay off his (i assume now) ex mate ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

Raam wrote: »
    stupid case, if you ask me.
    Common sense says ride far enough back so that you have time to stop if the person in front screws up. I'm pretty sure the rules of the road say the same. If you break this rule for a race, then the risk is on your own shoulders.
    I know group riding means riding close to the person in front, but that's the risk.

In a chain gang you will often be four to six inches off the wheel in front. In four years I have never seen a crash caused by wheels touching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

this is a thorny issue.

The cyclist in front has little control over the actions or otherwise of those behind him. How many of us a caught with another cyclist and stayed behind them and they are completely unaware of our presence.

In groups wheel rubbing does happen. Experience over time helps to deal with these issues.

In the case quoted, I find is a little two convenient that the level of damages were agreed before liability had been established. Was It a case that the lead rider had insurance and the other rider was making a profitable claim for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Isn't it generally the case that if you run into someone (in a car), you are liable as you should have left room to maneuver... does something similar happen here?

The guy in the front had an accident, but he can't be responsible for those behind him surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Morgan wrote: »
    The insurance included in a race licence or Cycling Ireland membership should cover you in this situation (third party injury). It's well worth having whether you race or not.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/html/site/technical/licences.jsp

Really? Would it? The problem I'd see here is that it is *not* a third party but another member of the same organisation. I don't think the insurance would cover anyone for such if negligence is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

tunney wrote: »
    Really? Would it? The problem I'd see here is that it is *not* a third party but another member of the same organisation. I don't think the insurance would cover anyone for such if negligence is involved.

I believe so - it specifically mentions member-to-member cover. I don't know if this has ever been tested in practice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Harkev

Morgan wrote: »
    I believe so - it specifically mentions member-to-member cover. I don't know if this has ever been tested in practice though.

Yeah, I was covered by this when I had an accident on a training ride last year. I broke my front teeth, and claimed the dental expenses under the 'personal accident' cover, which specifically deals with member to member incidents...

There is however a pretty low limit on it, something like €2000, I can't remember exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

I am curious to know how many people who cycle have insurance for accidents

Here's an update on this story, seems we might not need the lawyers with us on a sunday morning after all !!

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/cyclist-loses-damages-case-against-fellow-cyclist-14473?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRGENNEWS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

roadmanmad wrote: »
    I am curious to know how many people who cycle have insurance for accidents

i have just paid for a full competition license from cycling ireland, which covers me in case of accidents like this.
    which i good to know. there is increasing pressure among cycling clubs for members to have some sort of insurance when joining on weekend spins.

As a matter of interest how much is a license these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

a full competition license is €115. the cost depends on membership types, whether club member, life member, off road, TT, club competition or full competition, BMX, U10 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

This is depressing stuff. If the guy wins, cycling racing days are numbered. The bottom line is this: if you can't accept that cycling is a dangerous and sometimes bloody sport, then don't even get involved. I pity the guy with the neck injury - it is shocking, but there could be more to it than just two lads having their day in court... were they at loggerheads before the race?? If you ride in any kind of a group, get a cycling ireland licence so at least you're somewhat protected from someone doing the same to you. Unfortunately there are a$$holes in all walks of life and some are very good, and very convincing when they make their case against someone in an attempt to win damages, even if they just broke a little finger.

On a side note, compare this to what happened at the Australian Track Champs yesterday in Sydney: in a semi final of the men's sprint, Ryan Bailey and his soon to be brother-in-law Shane Perkins basically had a bit of a tete-a-tete... (they hate each other) Bayley gave Perkins an awful bollicking and more I'd say. The judges gave the win to Bayley, and disqualified Perkins for some illegal move, so Bayley went onto the final and came second but suffered like a dog there apparently because of the earlier crash. Do you think he would have sued Perkins if he cracked a bone or three? Not a chance... these lads are psychos. They're out to beat the crap out of each other and they all know it, so no one dares to sue in a case like that. If they did, the sport of cycling wouldn't exist.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/feb08/feb08news

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/feb08/auschamps08/?id=/photos/2008/feb08/auschamps08/auschamps084/bailey1

ba wrote: »
    a full competition license is €115. the cost depends on membership types, whether club member, life member, off road, TT, club competition or full competition, BMX, U10 etc.

Thanks for the info, must have a look myself, might just get one for the insurance, could be worth it someday even if i've no intention of racing.

ba wrote: »

Do u know what sort of cover u get from a license or what sort of money they'd cover u up to if u have an accident ? Or even where i could find this info, can't find it on cycling ireland webiste.

• Advertisement
Advertisement