Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB 2.0 hub

• 30-01-2008 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

where can i get a good/cheap one?

and a question for the pc wizards out there, if i was to connect more than 1 item to the hub would this affect the speed i.e divide the speed by that number?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Maplins and Peats usually have some cheap ones, €10-15, they have more expensive ones too but afaik they're not any better.

I think the speed does get divided between devices if they use it, but not just because they're plugged in together. Very few devices come close to using enough of the speed to make a difference anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

some 2 euro shops have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I got a few of them from ledshoppe.com, free shipping and payment in $ so very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

aldi were are selling them at the moment, there was one in the pullout from the sunday world at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

ones in euro2 aren't usb 2.0, i bought one there a while ago and it said 2.0 on the box but it wasn't, they've changed the packaging since then BTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Euro2 shops just have USB hubs. Usb 2.0 are powered and have a higher transfer speed. Many devices don't require the higher speed or power so the Euro2 option is excellent, in fact I'm using a Euro2 hub at the minute which, I purchased about 2 years ago from Euro2. It does the job (external usb sound card, mouse, printer and a spare for my camera / iPod). Just check out what you are really going to use it for and decide for your self. Pay €30 for a Belkin or whatever, powered hub which will take up another socket in your wall because it'll draw power from AC rather than your machine, or get a plain olde USB hub for 2 or 3 Euro and it'll do the job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ruu wrote: »
    I got a few of them from ledshoppe.com, free shipping and payment in $ so very cheap.

+1

Ruu posted a bargain from ledshoppe which I ordered and now have a little disco light in my room when it is on! (It is mulitcoloured)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

www.dealextreme.com

I bought a few from there. best buy in ages. free shipping and in dollars too

heres the one i got
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9685

but theres plenty of others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thanks guys, i suppose speed wont matter if i plug ipod/phone and MOUSE in it.

i need speed for my arcade stick though so theres no lag, i have 4 usb inputs at the back not sure if they get shared same way a hub does?

have 2 infront 2 but somethings up with them, anything i plug gets removed and back in again randomly at times, plus they work like usb 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

there will be a very noticeable difference in the speed between an 1.1 and 2.0 hub when using your ipod.

You wouldn't notice any difference on your arcade sticks though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement