Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

sneaky speed trap

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

kbannon wrote: »
    That doesn't answer my questions.
    The current system, where most speed checks are done covertly to some extent, does not work given that fatalities continues. Is this because the process is ineffective or because there are other factors which simply aren't being tackled? going too fast in an urban area is much more dangerous than doing 50km/h over the limit on a motroway. Who is more likely to get caught? I exceed the speed limit on motorways most of the time.
    Anyhow this argument has been done to death on boards and there are never any winners to the debate!

If you read any of my previous posts on this forum you'd know I agree 100% with you! I was trying to answer Sandwich's Q's. I think most motorways suitable should have speed limits raised, or removed totally if the road/conditions allow. I often speed on national secondary roads when it is safe to do so as I have previously admitted. I don't blitz the limit BTW, but I choose my speed on the open road based on conditions, not on static speed signs.

Urban limits around residental areas are a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Senna wrote: »
    i'll probably get flamed for this, but here's my opinion;

I believe that its the same people who break the speed limit on motorways and dual carriageways that also break the speed limit on national roads. Its completely rubbish to say 'so what if i speed on motorways, i keep to every other speed limit, at all other times'
    I believe these people will also speed or drive at 'excess speed' on lesser roads. So i have no sympathy for anyone caught speed, no mater what the road.

+1

Great contribution. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

the bast@rds had a mobile speed trap on the M50 North bound at the tallaght exit just before the gatso camera catching those slowing down to 60 k/mh. Sneaky. The traffic corps are so aggressive and have the attitude of farm animals.

Have been stopped and breath test 4 times in south dub in the last month. (Cabinteeely motorway x2, Donnybrook x1, Stillorgan x1) Think they find it easier trying to do the ordinary folks. When they pulled me in on their super check point they were so so rude. I never see check points in deepest darkest tallagh or killinarden...........

I agree, its a case of Quantity of people caught exceeding a limit on a safe road, verses actually actively going out and seeking dangerous drivers.

I'm all for more breath tests though. No excuses for rudeness however, being polite just gets more people on their side, being rude achieves nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

jonny24ie wrote: »
    There is a reason these are called speed "traps", and that is to catch stupid drivers that fail to abide by the law.
    If you don't speed then you have nothing to worry about. ;)

:rolleyes: yawn..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

In fairness. I have rarely met a 'farm animal' garda. That is not to say it does not happen. There are rotten apples in each and every job. I do beleive though that we should tolerate them far less in the gardaí than in other jobs positions, since to a greater or lesser extent the garda's word will always be taken over yours.
    Anyway I digress. I do not think this 'debate' can come to any happy conclusion. Most people have such high opinions of their own opinions that they are not open to reevaluating their opinion subsequently. There are good points being made by both sides.
    As a motorcyclist (we are a minority on the roads ) I have a few issues with the current regime of hide and seek.
    Ive mentioned this point a few times before. The problem with the hide and seek approach is that by the time people have seen the hidden garda they typically jam on the brakes or have a drastic reduction in speed, regardless of whether they are over the limit or not.
    Driving near cillmacanough october last, there was a hidden garda just around the corner from the glen of the downs. I was behind an accord who was driving in 80kph zone. I was more than adhering to the 2 second rule. I had left a lot of space.However the guy in the accord who was prob at 75kph decided upon noticing hte garda to drop speed drastically to 60kph. Because i did not see the garda hidden, and because the road conditions ahead were good, i did not expect this. There was no accident, I had left lots of space between us. However there could well have been.
    Its not the first and only example i can think of where ordinary joe who has not broken the law gets a fright and drops the speed dangerously and without fear of penalty. For the vehicle travelling behind , this is lethal. It is worrying when the enforcement of a law can be potentially lethal to every day road users, particularly those who will not have the advantage of ABS and four wheels in wet weather.

^^^Well said^^^^^^^:) Bikers get a rough enough time in this country already with insurance prices and potholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

javaboy wrote: »
    If a speeder knows where all the cameras are they will just speed where they know there are none.

If the same speeder is caught by surprise a few times, they'll clock up the fines+points and maybe learn their lesson.

I've only ever heard Gardai refer to motorists that break the speed limit as "Speeders" and this usually with spit flying out of their mouth as their Templemore indoctrination takes hold.

The current approach of enforcing little else apart from "SPEED" and "DRINK" only masks successive failures of successive Governments to address driver training.

For example, there isn't a snowball's chance in Hades, after today's announcment that the driving test backlog is still up 50%, that all applicants who applied and who were waiting from when the changes (and the u-turn) to the provisional licencing system were made public, will get a driving test between now and then.

Come July, cue pressure on the backbenchers as people who have built their life around the 'right' to drive, this will only be put forward once more, the Minister will keep his job, and Mary on her 19th provisional will continue trundling around Moate having never taken a test, while experienced drivers are picked off 10 km/h on dual carriageways in broad daylight.

I grew up in a country where responsible and highly trained drivers (read: Adults) are allowed to chose what speed they travel at on derestricted motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smemon wrote: »
    High up on the merging road (coming on to M1), there was a garda car parked on the side, sticking out a bit (half parked on kerb) with the driver door slightly open and something pointing out the window, looking down on passing traffic.
    Automatic Number Plate Recognition camera.

"These are not the morons we are looking for".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

javaboy wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting that they shoot fish in a barrel. There should be a mix of fixed cameras for particular black spots, mobile gatsos which change location regularly and a lot more unmarked Gardai in something other than a Mondeo.

The fact is that most speeders know when and where they can speed and get away with it.

They drive unmarked Subaru Foresters and Fiat Ulysses on M1, and Mondeos. Its the broken aerial stubs on the roof that is biggest give away. I don't honestly believe 100% of drivers set out to deliberately break the speed limit. I would say vast majority don't even realise they are over limit. I certainly don't set out to break limit, but I am sure there has been occassions I have gone over limit. The same way when you park in town and go over the parking time, you don't set out to go over the time and risk getting parking fine.

A bit of common sense needs to adopted, otherwise it will create similar situation to one that occured in UK. Big backlash against police by average Joe Soap, thats why they had to publish Safety Camera locations and also install temp signs indicating mobile speed trap's.

In North Wales, where "Gatso fan Chief Constable Richard Brunstrom has a league table for traffic cops", 56,247 speeding tickets were issued although this had no effect on safety, with an 18 per cent increase in road deaths.

In the same period it was revealed that his force had solved a mere six per cent of burglaries in their area. It would be interesting to see how many burglaries are solved in Meath/Louth Garda District.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Victor wrote: »
    Automatic Number Plate Recognition camera.

"These are not the morons we are looking for".

ANPR need a fixed scene height. Thats reason they are permanently mounted on vehicles or tripods. They cannot be hand operated.

Mylow makes a good point. Police in England made the mistake of alienating people by punishing people bearly over the limit, yet being unable to catch those that committed crimes that actually hurt anyone. Also, over reliance on speed cameras ended up increasing road deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

The young fellas out of Templemore do things by the book and more. They actively are on for the kill as if they are working on commission or something.

The more weathered Gardai seem to have a more sensible outlook. Boy racing activities are a big no no, while 5 or even 10 kph over the speed limit isn't exactly the end of the world, depending on the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Gatster wrote: »
    No, do put it up. Smacks of, as usual, meeting targets and nothing else. As the OP said, if he wanted to slow people down as opposed to just catching them, he should be more visible.
    I keep hearing this but is there any evidence at all that the Gardai have a target to meet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

if anyone is southside passing whites cross on the stillorgan dualer inbound you will see two middle aged plump motor cycle gardai in skin tight leather gear. in the morning doing bus lane duty. Freddie Mercury does not come close. They are on the hunt for motorists that dare thread a tyre an inch into the bus lane to turn left up the M50. I noted a lady turned just a tad onto the bus lane before thre real lane and by jaysus they hauled her in. She argued back and they went for her like mad men. I cant vouch I saw froth but these are the individuals that are supposed to be pillars of our community. Other commuters were just shaking their heads in disgust.

This is what we are up against......no reasoning. None. Not enought people have the balls or time to appeal these tickets in a court of law.

Bearcat wrote: »
    This is what we are up against......no reasoning. None. Not enought people have the balls or time to appeal these tickets in a court of law.

totally agree with you. if everyone challenged these ridiculous tickets then it might be a deterrent to the over the top idiots that write them and they would focus on those really doing dangerous things in traffic.

the problem is that a judge will never take the word of joe soap over that of a garda and its well known to be a waste of time.

innocent until proven guilty my ar$e, a person accused of murder has the right to go to court without fear of getting a tougher sentence if convicted.

get caught doing 5km over the speed limit and try to defend youself and the fine and points go up.

free country yeah right, at least dictators are honest :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I keep hearing this but is there any evidence at all that the Gardai have a target to meet?
    http://breaking.tcm.ie/2005/04/28/story200071.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

All that does is move gardai to where there are known speeding patterns.

Yes but is that speeding dangerous is the question? For instance in the Breaking news article(I know its 2 1/2 years old) they mention pulling people as they slow down from a 60mph to a 30mph zone(I know we use KM's now!). Thats just lazy policing to make the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

came across a gatso van (white transit) on M1 yesterday. Does anybody know if they should flash if they catch you?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

I noticed it aswell alright. no they dont flash just register you. give 2 - 3 weeks and fine will be in. it was there about 1 - 2 when i passed and is normally on either side on a Sunday under the M50 bridge or just beyond.

Fined!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

do these cameras cover all 3 lanes? I was coming down the slip road from M50 on to M1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Sandwich wrote: »
    Or better - dont. You might prevent a few people being caught.

Will you ever go and take up knitting or something like that, you twat. Every post you put up here makes you sound like some sort of a PC muppet. You have the most anti car / motoring opinion I have ever seen.

astraboy wrote: »
    OR, and heres a thought, he could be out patrolling the M1 in his mondeo pulling over tailgater's, dangerous drivers, people hogging the overtaking lane. Hiding behind a bridge/tree/wall and sending out speeding tickets is lazy lazy policing and catching people on a relatively safe road more so. Yes I know "its the law" but the guy 5kph over the limit on the M1 getting a fine while the idiot driving dangerously below the limit smacks of lack of interest(or interest in fines whichever way you look at it!) by the authorities.

You nailed that one fairly tight.

This is just revenue collecting. A lot more high visability, pro active policing of our roads is what is required, to make people drive properly. Speed is not the only killer on our roads.

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Will you ever go and take up knitting or something like that, you twat. Every post you put up here makes you sound like some sort of a PC muppet. You have the most anti car / motoring opinion I have ever seen.

spot on. im sure you and i are not the only 2 sick of the PC crap this poster is spewing constantly on here :rolleyes:

youre correct about the anti motoring opinion actually. i think sandwich is lost or someone should tell him/her that mopeds are not covered in this section :D:D

D_murph wrote: »
    spot on. im sure you and i are not the only 2 sick of the PC crap this poster is spewing constantly on here :rolleyes:

youre correct about the anti motoring opinion actually. i think sandwich is lost or someone should tell him/her that mopeds are not covered in this section :D:D

Would you think Sandwich is actually old enough to drive, some how I doubt he / she has progressed beyond playing with toy cars, he / she has spouted on about having passed their driving test in a previous thread, yet didn't reply when I asked about years / amount of experience.

Happy now kbannon NO CAPS.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

capslock.jpg

Advertisement