Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

couriering in dublin

Options
  • 30-01-2008 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey there guys. Do we have any couriers here on the forum? or former couriers?i'm changing jobs for the new year and i really want to give couriering a go. any of you done it and got some advice for a noob. are there sompanies i should apply to and ones I should avoid? is there much difference in pay?

any advice would be welcome before i start coldcalling companies out of the yellow pages.
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Hi,
    was a courier for a few months between job a couple years back with cyclone. They were a reasonable employer and the job was pretty much walk in and start next day. Pay is p*sh though, and you're very much at the whim of the dispatcher in this regard.
    You don't have to be a super cyclist (I was avergaing 50-60km./day), the most testing part I found was navigation and radio comms.
    So get a-z now and start studying it.
    btw, one thing I found was an inexorable corrosion of adherence to road laws, which I didn't like as an otherwise law-abiding road user - once you have drop to deliver one way systems and red lights become an irrelevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 natdublin

hi,

i worked as a courier for cyclone for the summers while i was in college and then for over a year after finishing college. cyclone are a pretty decent company to work for and will probably take you on with no experience. they will also supply the uniform (decent cycling gear and you dont wreck your own clothes) for a deposit of 320euro which you will get back when you return the uniform (you pay 20quid a week).

the pay for the first few weeks will be pretty poo. but eventually you'll start doing at least 40drops a day without thinking about it and coming out with 500+ a week. and you pay f-all tax legitimately. try to avoid conor's base and
    get on john's base. you need to build too much of a rep with conor. john is a little more forgiving unless you're an idiot.

other options are wheels, they'll pay you a basic of 350 (i think) a week but it's really hard to break it. think first direct also pay you a basic and is hard to break it. central logistics also seem to take on newbies. not sure of their pay though

avoid DHL. i've heard some awuful stories about them

so, get a map, a good lock, a few spare tubes, a really good pump and a helmet.

good luck

Advertisement