Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Odd Question

Options
  • 30-01-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

This is probably the wrong forum, but anyway..........

Yesterday I was almost involved in a collision with another car. I misjudged a gap at a T junction and the accident would have been my fault, but thats not the point. As the other car passed in front of me I noticed that the driver was wearing a burkah. If we had crashed would she have been "allowed" to speak to me with regard to insurance details etc.? She was not with a male relative and I am male. Would we have had to wait for a female Guard?

I know I am probably displaying my ignorance of this womans religion, but I am just wondering what the story would be in this situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Chiron wrote: »
    This is probably the wrong forum, but anyway..........

Yesterday I was almost involved in a collision with another car. I misjudged a gap at a T junction and the accident would have been my fault, but thats not the point. As the other car passed in front of me I noticed that the driver was wearing a burkah. If we had crashed would she have been "allowed" to speak to me with regard to insurance details etc.? She was not with a male relative and I am male. Would we have had to wait for a female Guard?

I know I am probably displaying my ignorance of this womans religion, but I am just wondering what the story would be in this situation.

To say that she was driving a car, i'd say its fairly safe to assume she'd talk to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

Yeah, thats kinda what i thought, but the burkah was one of those full face ones with just a slit to see through which I thought (here comes the ignorance again) was for the more "fundamental" types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Yeah, thats kinda what i thought, but the burkah was one of those full face ones with just a slit to see through which I thought (here comes the ignorance again) was for the more "fundamental" types.

Oh sorry, thought you meant only a Hijab. Dunno. Never seen a woman in Ireland wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

One would assume that she would not be driving were her religious beliefs to have the potential to bring her into conflict with the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

I dont think she would come into conflict with the law, it would probably just be more awkward than anything else.

I was really asking from her point of view i.e. she cant talk to a man but the other guy doesnt realise and keeps at her, but as was said earlier if she was driving than it probably isnt an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I dont think she would come into conflict with the law, it would probably just be more awkward than anything else.

I was really asking from her point of view i.e. she cant talk to a man but the other guy doesnt realise and keeps at her, but as was said earlier if she was driving than it probably isnt an issue.
    I didn't mean conflict with the law in the sense of having an accident, I meant in the sense of failing to provide the other driver with her details. I dunno really, i'm just guessing the same as yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

To say that she was driving a car, i'd say its fairly safe to assume she'd talk to you.

yeah :D id think youre spot on there lol

Advertisement