Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sexism in the Insurance Market

Options
  • 30-01-2008 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Why is it that in this day and age, that sexism is deemed acceptable in the Insurance market. And I'm not just saying increased costs to insure a car if you're a guy. Women too have to pay higher health in insurance than guys due to possible pregnancy issues etc.

Considering that they profile by sex, why don't they profile by race. In fact, if there were statistics out there to show that say Africans crashed more than whites, would it be OK to then charge Black people more than white on the basis that they are more likely to to crash ?

Surely the fairest way would be to charge a set amount when you start driving and for indicators such as penalty points, crash record and even something like your score on something like the Hibernian Ignition course to alter your future payments.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

You are right in this age of equability especially in the workplace etc seems to be going the other way in the insurance game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Why is it that in this day and age, that sexism is deemed acceptable in the Insurance market. And I'm not just saying increased costs to insure a car if you're a guy. Women too have to pay higher health in insurance than guys due to possible pregnancy issues etc.

Considering that they profile by sex, why don't they profile by race. In fact, if there were statistics out there to show that say Africans crashed more than whites, would it be OK to then charge Black people more than white on the basis that they are more likely to to crash ?

Surely the fairest way would be to charge a set amount when you start driving and for indicators such as penalty points, crash record and even something like your score on something like the Hibernian Ignition course to alter your future payments.

Would agree somewhat. I dont like that women get lower insurance but have lived with it due to the statistics backing it up.

As for the african-american race being involved in more accidents you really need to back that up with some statistics me thinks.
    If they are more accident prone than I can see your point but we can also agree the uproar that would happen if premiums are affected by race would cause even though nothing is said about them being affected by gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Women too have to pay higher health in insurance than guys due to possible pregnancy issues etc.

This is not the case, health insurance in Ireland is the same if you are male or female, young or old, same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    This is not the case, health insurance in Ireland is the same if you are male or female, young or old, same price.

Yes, for standard heath insurance, which does not cover any maternity benefits. You'll have to pay more if you want maternity cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

chris85 wrote: »

As for the african-american race being involved in more accidents you really need to back that up with some statistics me thinks.

OP did not say they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its not sexism.

Its based on statistics. Age is also a factor.

The true definition of sexism is to discriminate purely on sex, but its not the sex, its the actual stats associated with it.. similar to younger drivers.

*Ironicaly wimmens cant drive. go figure ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

dudara wrote: »
    Yes, for standard heath insurance, which does not cover any maternity benefits. You'll have to pay more if you want maternity cover.

The most basic Plan A from VHI has maternity benefits as does their "First Plan" and they are priced the same whether you're male or female.

None of them pay full Mat cover for the Gynaecologist (AFAIK)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

snyper wrote: »
    Its not sexism.

Its based on statistics. Age is also a factor.

The true definition of sexism is to discriminate purely on sex, but its not the sex, its the actual stats associated with it.. similar to younger drivers.

*Ironicaly wimmens cant drive. go figure ;)

Of course its discrimination. If its not then it is pure sterotyping. Why should safe young drivers have to pay the same as dangerous ones. They are getting judged without even a first impression.

My point is that if a certain race had a higher crash rate, would it be OK to raise the insurance of everyone from that race ?

Of course its discrimination. If its not then it is pure sterotyping. Why should safe young drivers have to pay the same as dangerous ones. They are getting judged without even a first impression.

My point is that if a certain race had a higher crash rate, would it be OK to raise the insurance of everyone from that race ?

Thats hypothetical, the sex issue is fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

snyper wrote: »
    Thats hypothetical, the sex issue is fact.

Hypotehetical yes (and most likely without reason) but its a question which few will answer due to obvious reasons.

Sexism is not seen as half as bad as racism, especially when its going womens way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Health Insurance is governed by risk equalisation so everyone pays the same price for the same level of cover. This blanket does not apply to other forms of insurance be it life, home, liability, motor or whatever!
    Maybe thats already the case!

no, im a sexist prick, i admit it. Not at heart, but i like to take the piss.

But whats the alternative?

Insurance is based on stats, Stats dont lie.

If you want sexuality equakity we then must have age equakity, which means me paying for 19 yearold boy racer (organ doners)

The stats are there, so that the more likely to be in an accident pay for the premiuns and not burden the rest of us.

When u get over 30 the gao is much smaller, if there even is a gap

Males between 18 -25 are involved in more crashes than any other group.

Fact.

If the stats show 4 ft tall Nigerians are in a high risk,, they too will pay high premiums.

Advertisement