Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMORPG's summer 08???

Options
  • 30-01-2008 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Played a bit of wow about a year ago, t'was good but required too much time.

Looking forward to trying another mmorpg probably this summer (more free time 'round then)

Soooooooo

What I'm wondering is, any good mmorpg's coming out/already out worth looking at?
    This might sound shallow but I'm interested if theres any that doesnt look like something from the PS2 graphics wise too. I'll have a pretty high end PC by summer and I'd like to make use of it lol. That and I always find fantastic graphics draw me in to the experience even more. I'd love an mmorpg that looked like oblivion for example.

Since a lot of time is spent wandering around the world, would be nice for it to look sweet too.

Of course, gameplay > GFX though.

Anyway I have my eye on the likes of this supposed KOTOR mmorpg and STO, but I won't be seeing those this summer...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Theres a Conan MMO coming out. It's supposed to be way different than anything else out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I'm looking forward to trying out warhammer mmo. people have been calling it World of Warhammer probably because its graphics are quite similar to world of warcraft, but the pvp looks interesting.

Also there is Pirates of the Burning Sea which just came out, which i want to try out.

Age of Conan is another big one.

There are stargate and star trek mmos coming out, dont know what they are like but will see what the impressions are when they come out.

Not sure if these are all coming out this year or next but one would hope soon, im pretty bored of mmos in general, hopefully one of these will bring something fresh.

EDIT: Did you play vanguard, it requires a pretty monster PC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I am salivating at Warhammer Online, guys who made it made Dark Age of Camelot so the PvP should be good. Supposed May release. www.war-europe.com

Conan im not to sure about but what I have seen hasnt grabbed me, look for yourself and see what you think. Again, early summer release planned. www.ageofconan.com

Stargate Worlds recently had a trailer up, not much on actual gameplay yet, but it has a lot of backstory to pad it up. No idea on release but maybe end of year/ 2009. www.stargateworlds.com

The upcoming Star Trek MMO is a bit odd, the devs had a MMO game almost done (Gods and Heroes) then canned it to focus on Star Trek. Still early days so probably wont see this year. http://www.startrekonline.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Cheers for the replies. Yeah I forgot to say in my 1st post. PVP is a big factor for me.
    I enjoyed playing on a PVP server far more then I did on a PVE server back when I played wow.

From quickly looking at info posted:

I know all about the startrek stargate and starwars mmorpgs :p And none of them look like they'll be out this summer.

Vanguard looks good, but appears to not be doing so well so maybe its not such a great game.
    Warhammer just looks like WoW, may as well just start playing wow again lol.

Age of Conan looks really ****ing good though I must say, (once again these are just 1st impressions)

The pirates one looks alright and I read the thread some guy posted about it just there, seemed like he's having a blast. But I dunno if its my kinda game. Or rather, what I'm looking for in an mmo.

Anyone following age of Conan know what the PVP story is? Will it be PVP only in areas etc (like PVE servers in wow)

Or will you be able to walk around the world with the option to take on any enemies you see or not/the risk of being attacked by enemies (in other words PVP servers in wow)

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think it's PvP areas, but they're pretty big and involve seige warfare and that like.

I see. Its just I really liked that element of PVP servers where you'd just be travelling the world knowing you could encounter enemy players. When you do it doesn't necessarily mean you would always try and kill each other...
    You could be walking down a path, encounter an enemy player and you both just nod at each other and continue on your way. Or even save them from being killed by some NPC they are fighting.
    That **** brought a massive smile to my face, almost as much as hunting down and slaughtering enemy players that crossed my path :p
    In fact almost all my best loved moments from when I did play wow was due to PVP. Any other was from playing online with my mates, unfortunately the server where all my friends decided to play was PVE :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    While the interface is very similar, and the graphics are in the same vein, the games are very different. Warcraft is a PvE game, with a (shoddy) PvP game tacked on at the end. I still enjoy it, but as a fan of PvP, it is sorely lacking. Warhammer on the other hand, is a PvP game, where you can occaisionally do PvE. It looks and sounds much more dynamic, and (god willing) we will finally have a competitor for Warcraft.
    I see. Its just I really liked that element of PVP servers where you'd just be travelling the world knowing you could encounter enemy players. When you do it doesn't necessarily mean you would always try and kill each other...
    You could be walking down a path, encounter an enemy player and you both just nod at each other and continue on your way. Or even save them from being killed by some NPC they are fighting.
    Then Warhammer wont be for you. There wont be any Warcraft 'We are mortal enemies....but will work together anyway' in the game. Warhammer is a much darker universe, where its fight or die. You can level up purely from killing other players, so it will be a proper, kill on sight, PvP based game. Can't bloody wait.

Plus, the PvP scenarios sound fantastic. Cant wait to sack some enemy cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah the pvp in age of conan is kind of split into three catorgorys atm..the first being the area called the bordor kingdoms which has 9 plots on land for 9 different guilds to build a castle/town on and isnt instanced..so there is only 9 plots per server and some smaller little towers for smaller guilds..but dont give as much stuff as the bigger towns you can build..because theres only 9 there is supposed to be on going siege wars between guilds defending there keep and another attacking..you can walk through the border kingdoms and watch these fights if you wished and the attackers can even take you on as a mercenery if your a high level and you get gold :)

then theres the arena style capture the flag which is instanced obviously

and then drunking brawl fighting where you go into a bar and get drunk and then start a fight lol but i think all your stats go down so just for fun..

and on pvp servers or rp-pvp servers im pretty sure you can attack anyone you wish..except for in hubs like big towns/cities etc..

pvp is looking good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Whats wrong with the Massively Multiplayer forum for this? Age Of Conan is about the only one that I'm remotely interested in at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Well the firefly and stargate ones are due out this year and the star trek one was pushed back till 09.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Stargate is doubtful for this year, and firefly has no chance (havent even heard there was one, so thats not a good sign).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

what about Aion, supposed to be shaping up nicely?

Kiith wrote: »
    You can level up purely from killing other players, so it will be a proper, kill on sight, PvP based game. Can't bloody wait.

Plus, the PvP scenarios sound fantastic. Cant wait to sack some enemy cities.

That kinda stuff does spark my interest, but all my attention is on age of conan right now, has an even darker universe, more adult theme and look (graphics) and gameplay from what I can see.

Warhammer still seems too close to wow for me.
    IgsTer wrote: »

and on pvp servers or rp-pvp servers im pretty sure you can attack anyone you wish..except for in hubs like big towns/cities etc..

pvp is looking good :D

Thank ****! I'll deffo be looking at those pvp server so when this comes out.
    kyub wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the Massively Multiplayer forum for this? .

My bad. I forgot there was a whole mmo section rather than just a wow section. I noticed right after I posted :o

I'll give Aion a look now, is it meant to be out by summer 08?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Also forgot to mention Guild Wars 2. This will be an open world MMO as opposed to the instanced play of the previous GW games. Somehow the achievments and actions from these games will affect your character in GW2, not sure of the specifics.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2 (best link I can find)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Age of Conan, only decent looking one out there.

Adult MMO, no kiddie WoW for me!

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Also forgot to mention Guild Wars 2. Yeah I was looking that up before, dunno if it what I'm looking for but at least theres no monthly fee, which is a plus!
    Holsten wrote: »
    Age of Conan, only decent looking one out there.

Adult MMO, no kiddie WoW for me!

Haha yeah indeed.

yeah the gameplay,graphics and mature content in aoc is what is doing it for me..looks great cant wait to pick it up..

just in case yous dont know it got delayed again for further 8 weeks due to polishing the game out of bugs..may 20th now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

yeah the gameplay,graphics and mature content in aoc is what is doing it for me..looks great cant wait to pick it up..

just in case yous dont know it got delayed again for further 8 weeks due to polishing the game out of bugs..may 20th now
    Brilliant, I thought it was out in November for some reason :D

lol november..no way id be able to wait that long :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I thought the Star Trek mmorpg was as good as dead? Something about the company developing it being bought over and re-focused on casual games or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ummm ... you do realise that the Warcraft universe copied the Warhammer universe wholesale for look and content right?

Indeed I do, hence warhammer being too much like wow for what I'm looking for at the moment.

Anyway my statement is about the game itself in terms of style graphics and that kiddy PS2 look, not the universe.

With that, I don't want any wow heads attacking me either, I do think its a good game, but I've played wow and now I want to play something different.

No worries. When I started looking it up, that was the release date anyway so I had nothing to be disappointed about, and sure its only around that time that I want to play it, being finished Uni for the summer and all.

Advertisement