Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External LC Exam Centre

Options
  • 30-01-2008 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I won't be able to go back to my old school this year, getting there on time would be too awkward. Deadline is zooming up. Does anyone know whether I can fill in the exam centre details later on?

Also can anyone recommend an exam centre in Dublin City Centre and whether you have to pay to do it there as an external candidate?

Thank you in advance :)

BTW sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I felt that there may be more external candidates hovering around here rather than the leaving cert section.

Comments

I've no idea about this so I'm simply guessing, but would other schools in the Dublin City area be accommodating simply as exam centres? I believe it's the Dept. of Education who are ususally in control of the exam centres, in particular the State Examination Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Think you have to find a centre first and the closing date is Feb 1st so you need to get a move on?

Are you in a grind school and looking for a school to sit your exam in ?

This is from the memo on external candidates from Dept (see link) but this is the guts of what you need to know:

Each candidate must select a centre (school) for examination and should seek the approval of the school Principal to sit there. The candidate will be assigned to that centre provided he/she has obtained approval from the school Principal and accommodation is available. A candidate who has not received notification of his/her centre by 1 May 2008 should contact the Commission. Requests to change centre cannot be considered, as question papers, stationery etc., for which preparations begin in January, will be associated with the centre stated on the entry form.

http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/Memorandom_of_Instructions_2008.pdf

There are no fees for sitting your exams in a different centre, only the fees you pay for sitting the LC. Best to get cracking, the school I work in has a policy of not accepting external candidates that were not former students in the school, I'm sure there are other schools who take the same position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Thanks guys :) I'll try Leeson Street tomorrow and if they say no I'll just have to go back to my old school. They were very accommodating last year but I was living beside the coach stop so it was handy. Anyway I'll figure out a way.

A candidate who has not received notification of his/her centre by 1 May 2008 should contact the Commission.

Ye I saw that on the site Rainbow Trout that's why I was wondering.

I'm not sure how it works but I imagine after you have sent in the paperwork you will get some sort of official letter with your centre details etc because you're an external candidate - and more importantly an exam number. When I'm examining practicals (ag science) all the external candidates that are registered to be examined have to get their own letter detailing when we are examining rather than the general one to the school. This includes all the candidates in the grind schools as they are considered to be external candidates I think.

and you will need to know sooner than may 1 if you are repeating languages for orals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

I rang the department of education yesterday and they said I could leave the school section blank. Did my application at six am this morning but it wouldn't let me leave it blank so I stuck down a random Ballymun school. Rang directory enquires later on and they didn't have it listed so put me through to another comprehensive school here. Rang that school and the receptionist said the principal was busy but he happened to be walking past so talked to him and he asked me where I lived then said it was fine and took my name. Just sent an email to the dept of education to let them know the change so...sorted (almost) :D

BTW thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement

happy days! you're in business!

Advertisement