Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 316 End Of Life

Options
  • 30-01-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I was looking to buy my wife a BMW 316 but heard that it was going end of life in the next year or two, has anybody else heard this?

Also what is the difference between the
    316 i
    316 es
    316 se

many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yes, it's to do with the VRT changes. Once VRT is based on emissions rather than CC there will be no need for this underpowered Irish special.

3-series a good steer but a boggo 316 doesn't do it justice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It will be gone in July. They only ever brought it in because it escaped the max VRT category under the old system and had the lower road tax associated with a 1.6 litre engine.

The 318i puts out no more CO2 than the 316i, and the 318i will have a big drop in VRT(all 3 series saloons bar the top of the range 335i will have a VRT drop in July, the 318i, 320i, 318d, 320d and 325d will have a VRT drop of at least 10%(manual gearbox only), the others bar the 335i drop by either 2 or 6%) so it would be cheaper to buy a 318i then than a 316i now, a 318d might well be cheaper than the 316i as well in July and will have €150 road tax a year, though this applies only to anything registered after July.

316i is very basic(very few of these around), no alloys, fog lights, very dowdy looking, ES spec(most popular) has most things, 4 electric windows, alloys, trip computer, and SE is the plushest(a good few of these around too) climate control, buttons on the steering wheel, nicer interior, and then there is the M Sport(not available in 316 versions) which is basically a bodykit, bigger wheels and the accompaning harsher ride and more noise that goes with big wheels.

Advertisement