Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of MMO democracy!

Options
  • 30-01-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    With so many new MMO's coming into the market it really is quite an exciteing time to be a online gamer. That said there are some issues I'm really finding an irritation, Namely the seeming hatred that developers and player bases have for stealth classes based solely upon the highly debateable implimentation of stealth in WOW.

I am really pi$$ed off about this, from the looks of it Warhammer will not be implimenting even the most modest of stealth classes due to these hordes of sore losers.

Let me clarify something before continueing though, I do not agree with the WOW stealth system. It is completely unfair to have what is essentially a tank with full long term stun capabilities and give them access to stealth. That is idiocy.

I DO however agree with the DAOC implimentation where stealth classes were mostly oriented towards killing soloers. That is what a scout does. They survey an area and report back information while also having a little fun themselves. Removing the stealth ability not only gimps RVR due to a lack of scouting but also removes the ability for people to solo pvp. If your not a stealther you really shouldnt attempt to solo pvp in a rvr area. If your not a stealther you should be in a group.

I dont know if this will change but I consider this a very serious possible deal breaker for me. Without stealth whats the point. I dont care to deal with the masses as there are way too many gimps out there. I prefer to kill them(hence why I played on pvp server in daoc.) Without stealth any soloer is open to being ganked by groups.

Lets hear your opinions!

Should stealth classes be a part of future MMO's. 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    72% 13 votes
    Maybe So
    27% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Stealth is an unnecessary capability, especially as a scouting tool. Speed or escape abilities work just as well. When combined in WoW and yes, even DAoC, with excellent capabilities outside of stealth and one-shot capability respectively, it becomes broken.

That said, I really do love rogues in WoW ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

hmmm I never liked playing a stealth char as I didnt have the patience. I did love killing 3 at once on my merc in daoc though :D But tbh I dont think stealth has been implemented properly in any game and it leads to soooo much whining and dont even get me started on how they used to ruin 8 vs 8 in daoc. The idea is nice but the problem is that stealthers (at least in daoc) dont solo .. they gang together in ridiculous stealth zergs all fighting for the spoils of a hapless solo player trying to have a bit of fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Warhammer isnt about sneaking around, and quietly stabbing some in the back...its about charging in and skewering them with your giant axe, while brutally murdering anyone in your path, while praying to the chaos gods to grant you an extra giant crab arm to help maul any innocent victims...what i mean is that its cool. No need for a stealth class.

I wouldnt mind a scout, who is fast and has escape maneuveres and can maybe open the gates of a city if they are good enough...that kind of thing. But not someone who can click one button and disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I agree with clicking one button and disappearing. however, i think stealth should be run along the lines of oh lets see... thief!

You are concealed based on the environment around you. in full light you've not a hope. In a forest, at night if you are careful you would be virtually invisible.

a light spell or lantern into the area would protect against stealthers. While serious background noise would help stealthers sneak up.

No-one should ever be able to hide in plain sight. that would just be unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JesterWX

I like stealth in certain circumstances but it shouldbe limited. My main char in City of Villains is a stealth based char. Works very nice for solo missions. Walks up to mob, a one hit kill, blinds the 2nd mob (goingg stealth again), builds up power to do 1 hit kill again.

Three mobs can be a problem as missing/fumbling the kill stroke can be also. Superspeed and flight are good to have then. It is fair to say that he levelled up a lot faster than my blaster char in City of Heroes.

Haven't used him in a PvP zone so I don't know if he'd work as well in that environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I do think they should be a part of future mmorpgs but hopefully not in the way rogues are in wow currently. There is absolutely nothing that irritates me more than rogues in wow. They basically have the choice to only fight battles they know they will win. Which means they spend their time running around happily ganking squishies. Speaking from a PVP point of view of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Never play stealth classes, not my style.

I use to really like the old Daoc stalth classes, where you couldn't see the stealthers till they bounced! Yes they had the one shot kill where if they pulled off a certain style (DragonFang afik) they had a very good chance of killing you! and if they didnt they had to run their little hearts off to try and get away before you caught them.

What I liked most of all was the fear you had, when you port to Hib and you knew you had to meet your group at the wall say, You had to make the run and you didnt know if or how many stealthers were waiting for you! It was exciting stuff, the paranoia of it all... I loved it.

As for collecting RPs a stealther gets 1 shot, no healers, Supposedly feck all buffs, no support and just to get that 1 kill. while most classes run in large groups.

I love having stealthers out their, they scare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Stealth should be out there alright, the stealth element in daoc had me for a long time, made 2 rangers, a minstrel and an infiltrator and had fun with them all, but for the future of stealth in mmo's ? i'd rather it be based off systems like Age of Conan where the stealther has to be inside some shadows or such to have a near invisibility, in daytime they don't hide as well as night etc...

Stealth classes, or the basic thief class is a base class in most mmo or class based rpg's, even mud's had them so why not continue the trend to keep them, but limit some of the bull**** they can pull and make them into an actual thief-type.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Stealth Should definately be in MMO's - every class goes through the stages where people say it's overpowered or underpowered compared to xxx

that's just the way of things. Stealth plays a part in mmo's just as much as support classes. Some people like to be the hammer, some people like to be the support and some like to be solo. If we only had limited choices then the game in question would be bland imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I've never played a stealth class in any MMO i've played. That said i cant imagine an MMO without a stealth class. I've gone head to head Vs rouges in wow before and lost horribly.

I do like LoLth's idea of a theif deadly shadows version of the stealth class in an MMO that would be extremely cool.

Advertisement