Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cristiano Ronaldo

• 30-01-2008 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a better player in world football?

Sweet mother of jesus he is unbelivable.

I take back all i have said about him over the last 18 months

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

He is an absolute legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

A Liverpool fan takes something back? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Melion wrote: »

I was just thinking the same I've been a huge critic and i'm a united fan:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Best player in the world now, bar none. The first 12 minutes or so of this game will confirm that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Don't listen to the nay-sayers people.

This guy is the best player in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Right now, on current form, I would say no. I wouldn't swap him for anyone at all - not Messi, and not even the fabled golden boy of world football Kaka. The lad is awesome.

On the other hand though, what the HELL is up with his hair - going to the same blind stylist as Eagles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

A Liverpool fan takes something back? :p

I know, he is making all of us eat our words. And i dont care what any of the other liverpool fans say, they all think the same as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Answer = NO.

Scary thing is potential to get even better. Come on the Viper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I know, he is making all of us eat our words. And i dont care what any of the other liverpool fans say, they all think the same as me.

when your 17 points of the pace when it was "our" year what's a bit of humble pie eh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I used to hate him but now you just have to sit back and admire his ability.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    I used to hate him but now you just have to sit back and admire his ability.

Oh dont get me wrong, i still hate him

Oh christ, another free kick in the same place. He'll prob hammer this into the wall like the good old days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

can we change the title of this thread to "The Official Cristiano Ronaldo thread" and make every person who wants to write about this guys brilliance to say it here, cos how many threads have we had on this guy.... even tongue in cheek (i hope) calls for a Cristiano "Viper" Ronaldo forum.

He is the best in the world.

i didnt like him at the start, flash arrogant git with no end product etc... but he scares the **** out of defences in every game he plays now. If Dunphy can admit he was wrong about Ronaldo so can we all. He is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Oh dont get me wrong, i still hate him

it would be worrying if a liverpool fan didn't

and yes best in the world

immense x infinity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I think not winning World Player of the Year just pissed him off and has given him extra motivation to prove everyone wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Great player him and kaka top 2 in the world, but jasus Portsmouth are crap.

Brian017 wrote: »
    I think not winning World Player of the Year just pissed him off and has given him extra motivation to prove everyone wrong.

I dont think he deserved to win it, Kaka and Messi were better IMO last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Eamonn is that you?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

he just cant stop scoring. at least my fantasy football is looking better since I made him my captain. now, if we could just get gerrard back to being able to play....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah i agree and all...

but hes called Ronaldo... not v7per. lets say that phonetically... Vuh SEVEN purr

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    yeah i agree and all...

but hes called Ronaldo... not v7per. lets say that phonetically... Vuh SEVEN purr

ever see see the movie se-seven-en? Quality movie that. or how bout that game, wip-three-out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, they were **** titles too :)

just didnt roll of the tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

better player? maybe

better asset to a football team? no chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Helix wrote: »
    better player? maybe

better asset to a football team? no chance

Nail on the head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Major LOL at James after the free kick went in....his shrug of the shoulders said it all :)I actually thought Souness and Redknapp were going to take their pants off at Half Time they were that giddy about Ronaldo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He needs to stop scoring. He's making me cry on a weekly basis. I used to think he was sh*t, and massively overrated 2-3 years ago (largely because he was), but he's sorted out the wastefulness from his game and I don't think even the most ardent United hater would argue against Ronaldo being at least one of the top 3 players in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

yeah must say he is the best player in the world at the moment, hes just that type of player that people love to hate, my only critic of him is that he has a habit of diving and hes a little cry baby :rolleyes:, having said that he has taken alot of stickand it just seems to roll off his back and he plays even better..john giles eamon dunphy lol lol lol lol,used to respect giles opinion now i just think he feels that nobody or nothing is as good as the old days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

http://www.skysports.com/whoisthefastest/index.html/

He scores goals by the bucket load AND races sports cars! ... Im now convinced he is some form of alien.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Amazing player. I think in a bit I'll pull up all the old discussions about how Ronaldo should be given time to perfect his free kicks, and pretty much nobody agreed with me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Best player in the world, but he's sh*t at free kicks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I wonder has el rabitos come round yet?
    el rabitos wrote: »
    c.ronaldo will be dire no matter what he puts on the back of his shirt. i'd imagine it doesnt matter what name is on the shirt anyway, they go by their squad numbers
    technically nothing, he's dire, awfull and him being at utd is a plus to chelsea liverpool and arsenal.

no doubt he could run rings around the opposition players but its at the point now where its like, who really cares what he does, he's just going to kick it into the stand anyway.

he's muck, dire, awfull, a nothing, a nobody, a blemish on chelsea's ass. makelle makes easy money on players like him. valencia wanted him a while back, sell him for his overhyped premiership value says i.
    thats fine, just dont expect man utd to be winning any significant trophy with him in their side.

to win matches u need the ball, and if u lose it in a big european game, ur lucky to get it back for long periods of time
    i'm sure ronaldo is a joy to watch, but to get things back on topic, he should get "perenial runner up" put on the back of his jersey :D
    and if he was playing for wigan or some other less attractive team, hadnt got a nice tan and looked like wayne rooney he'd just be that useless winger that gives away the ball all the time

clearly i'm not seeing something about him alot of people are. maybe the next time utd are playing i should close one eye and squint with the other, i might see this amazing ability he's got.
    its not impossible to deny that ronaldo has been class....check it out, i'm denying it riiiiight......now. see? denied.
    he just produces such rubbish far too consistantly to merit a place in any "best of" group of players, other than maybe the "i'm good looking, put bums in seats and sell shirts brigade".

i'd only rate him above luis garcia because he's younger and plays more often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Wow, I've never seen someone with less of a clue in all my days. Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

:D

brilliant

how long have you been saving that up?

ubber leet pwnage, eleventyONE, or summit!

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    how long have you been saving that up?

ubber leet pwnage, eleventyONE, or summit!
    Ever since the he used that green smiley after calling Ronaldo a "perenial runner up" That comment evoked strong emotions in me but it was the green smiley that made me long for revenge.

This thread makes me smile.

And Pighead, thank you for that post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What's this "viper" thing about?

Its just a bit of fun, some of us United fans gave Ronaldo that nickname after his new boots. All harmless fun, of course though for some reason it offended some people here (mostly scouse and arse fans) but god knows why. Surely has nothing to do with the fact that its Ronaldo, regarded by many as the best in the world and he happens to play for United. And we're the ones that are accused of trolling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

definitely the best player in the world right now, without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He might be, all we can say for sure is that he is on the best form of any player ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

He was amazing last season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Honestly, nothing more can be said about him. I was actually giddy watching the match tonight.

Please Ronny, don't ever, ever leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

amazing player. the premiership are just so lucky to have him right now, if he ever leaves, it will lose bigtime. the best player in the world on current form. we are witnessing something special at the moment.

He's got 16 league goals in his last 13 league games! Unreal!
    19 in total and thats after having 0 after 7 games(he was banned for 3 of those)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Pighead has way too much free time. (but at least it's put to better use than supporting Liverpool :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just in terms of dragging up old posts to show people how right you were:
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    if i was u i'd be hoping he wrestles ronaldo away from them next season so!
    evad_lhorg wrote: »
    i dont know how anyone can stick up for Ronaldo and his style of free kick taking. its hit and hope and that is all. Was watching him in Wembley before the community shield and he was practicing from 30 yards out and out of 10 or 15 kicks he hit the target once and it was straight down the middle. He is a joke. the sooner Tevez starts playing the better.
    PHB wrote: »
    I don't think it's great currently, but it's not as terrible as people make out, and it's getting better. Practice makes perfect and I have no doubt he can reach the heights of Juninho.
    ah now come on. he is crap. his goal rate from free kicks is absolutely awful. he cant hit the target most of the time.
    yea if we are lucky he gets about 1 in 15/20 shots..... tevez and hargreaves are free takers so i hope one of them has the balls to take the ball of ronaldo this season
    fortuneg wrote: »
    Someone needs to put down the crack pipe, he's hopeless at free kicks.
    As Evadlhorg said during the warmups prior to the shield he took at least 10 free kicks from ~25+ yards out, one of them went straight down the middle into Shaggys arms, EVERY SINGLE other one went high and wide & i don't mean marginally wide i mean WAY off, these were all straight infront of the goal aswell.
    During the match he also took 3(-4?) I remember one straight into the wall, one high and wide & one straight at the keeper.
    He needs to stop buying into his own hype and cut that ego down a notch

This one I particuarly liked:
    allowing Ronaldo take free kicks week in week out is one of Ferguson most glaring tactical errors. it's nothing more than a farce, although i'm sure it has something to do with satisfying that boy's ego.
    DaveMcG wrote: »
    Yeah his free kicks are atrocious. Hopefully Tevez will take over.
    fortuneg wrote: »
    He obviously doesn't, do you honestly think he would insist on squandering so many good free kick oppertunities if he knew what level he was at.

In order for a free kick to be successful it first has to either be on target, or placed into a dangerous area so one of your players can get onto the end of it or an opposition player makes a mistake and puts it in their own net.

For either of these the first requirement is accuracy, something a blind swamp donkey could see Ronaldo does not have in abundance.
    So the solution to this is to give the man a ball and a goal with a target in it and get him to practice there, NOT in the middle of an important match where so many advanced postitions are wasted every game.

By the way what makes you believe Ronaldo will be as good as Juninho one day? Because if you're basing this on what you've seen in the past then we've obviously been watching completely different Ronaldo's!
    scores 2-3 free kicks a season?!?! he has scored no more than 5 for us competitively... compared to how many taken? how many are blasted into the wall or miles over? the majority. He just runs and blasts. There is no denying he is our star player but he is not a free kick taker. he just blasts it which leaves next to no accuracy. as I said he couldnt even challenge VDS while practicing. he stood ran and blasted into the crowd by a good way... and thats with no pressure or no wall. yet Rooney was there banging in his 25 yard dead balls. it doesnt make any sense. The free kicks he has scored look good because its the fluky rare one that is on target and because its hit with such power it swerves like crazy but jesus youre blind if you can say he is good at it and he is getting better because he hasnt improved whatsoever. carrick could hit a better free kick.

4 so far this season, and I'd wager a on a couple more before the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

JPA wrote: »
    What's this "viper" thing about?

vuh seven purr is a pr0 gaymer now dont ya know

astrofool wrote: »
    Pighead has way too much free time. (but at least it's put to better use than supporting Liverpool :))

bullsh1t. we arent all bad, u know where i live and its not imagination land!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement