Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cristiano Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

How can you challenge that kick. He hits the ball with the inside of his boot and makes it curl outwards as if it was kicked with the outside of his boot - at the same time making it dip over the wall and under the crossbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Oh fair enough. I thought you had an educated opinion on who was the world's best player, but if you only see what's on Sky then I was mistaken.

First off I said some, and its not only sky you acn watch games on. You can watch them on the net, or setanta and the like if you wish.

Also, my comment was in reference to you telling th poster to 'get out more', while at the same time saying there are goals like that round europe every week. So, if you follow you own advice you don't see in watching football, but still manage to see these gaols every week, so it must involve a lot of traveling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He has an uncanny way of striking the ball. He obviously does spend time perfecting his technique.

Is by far the best player in the world right now. Someone pointed out his wasn't a team player - well if he was on my team and scores every week and we win I wouldn't give a ****e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Tauren wrote: »
    Also, my comment was in reference to you telling th poster to 'get out more', while at the same time saying there are goals like that round europe every week. So, if you follow you own advice you don't see in watching football, but still manage to see these gaols every week, so it must involve a lot of traveling.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Probably because Cristiano is working in an enhanced environment where he can concentrate on what he does best. Less wealthy clubs like Milan place a heavier burden on their stars, like Kaka by, surrounding them with oldies and less talented players.
    LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

He didnt even play that well last night. Ok he scored 2 goals but his all round play wasnt even that good & I counted atleast 5 times he gave the ball away. You'd never see Riquelme give the ball away like that.

tdv wrote: »
    He didnt even play that well last night. Ok he scored 2 goals but his all round play wasnt even that good & I counted atleast 5 times he gave the ball away. You'd never see Riquelme give the ball away like that.

Cause every pass the great Riquelme ever plays always goes to the player....right.

Cause every pass the great Riquelme ever plays always goes to the player....right.

Well you'd have to go along way back to find the last time Riquelme missplaced a pass. And you can bet it's because the player he was passing to didnt time his run right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i've been saying i thought he was a very good player for a while, but he really has come into his own this season - if he can keep this form up i would probably put him as the best player to have played in the league.

BUT if i was a united supporter i would be worried what happens if he picks up a long term injury - it will take two players playing very well to make up for the loss.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i've been saying i thought he was a very good player for a while, but he really has come into his own this season - if he can keep this form up i would probably put him as the best player to have played in the league.

BUT if i was a united supporter i would be worried what happens if he picks up a long term injury - it will take two players playing very well to make up for the loss.
    very true - especially with Rooney being so off form at the moment. If Rooney was on form it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but he is doing very poorly in front of goal - he should have had two last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

We'll worry about that IF it happens. At the moment, he looks untouchable and we have been fortunate as I cant really remember him missing a match due to injury...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Haven't read all this thread but its obvious that Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world at the moment, his record speaks for itself !!!

But in regards to his free kicks I think people might be getting a bit too excited, in my opinion his free kicks can be effective but they are not intentional to a certain degree, i don't think he knows where the ball will end up, he just hits it as hard as he can, tries to put a bit of swerve on it and get it on target. If on target, the keeper will be made to work but more often or not it is way off.
    A good free kick taker is one that knows exactly where the ball is going and is consistant at it, a good example would be Matt Le Tissier, Beckham or Pirlo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Well you'd have to go along way back to find the last time Riquelme missplaced a pass. And you can bet it's because the player he was passing to didnt time his run right.

Loooooooooool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

People have been saying that for a fair few games this season, but if he still scores goals in nearly game, then who cares what he does the rest of the game, he still has a bigger influence than anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's a winger. Wingers give the ball away. Get over it like. And he was playing out of position.
    I always find this sort of stuff funny. Before his all round play was fine, but he had no end product. Now that he has end product, his all round play is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

LOL @ the Ronaldo haters. Kaka and Messi can **** off.

Also I missed the score in the Liverpool match last night what way did that finish ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Also I missed the score in the Liverpool match last night what way did that finish ? :D

6-0 to liverpool. voronin and kuyt hattricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

em why bring liverpool into this? Talk about looking for an argument...

saw Messi play against Villareal last night and he was brilliant, very unlucky not to score a few times. Missed a penalty though, it was justice in reality cause it was never a penalty to begin with.

Some of his close control and dribbling ability just defies belief at times, i would say he is easily the best dribbler around at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    6-0 to liverpool. voronin and kuyt hattricks.

Yes, Liverpool are top of the table after the heroics of bruce grobbelaar in saving 3 penalties by the power of his moustache, all of Kuyt and Voronin's goals were tempered by the fact that they were all rebounds off the bar by Robbie Fowler, after being superbly set up by John Barnes. Souness broke a few legs in the midfield and Hanson showed the other team some honesty of effort by playing with two broken arms and a dislocated spine.

i would say he is easily the best dribbler around at the moment.
    Better than Stephen Hawking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Better than Stephen Hawking?

Boom boom

PHB wrote: »
    He's a winger. Wingers give the ball away. Get over it like. And he was playing out of position.
    I always find this sort of stuff funny. Before his all round play was fine, but he had no end product. Now that he has end product, his all round play is poor.

I never said his all round play was fine its always been far from fine.

But I suppose its how you judge the best player in the world. As you say he dose have more end product than anyone else at the moment but his performance for 90mins havent been great. Like Messi against Villareal last night ripped them apart nearly everytime he had the ball but failed to put the ball in the net & missed a peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

A few big weeks for Ronaldo coming up, this weeks clash against Arsenal, champions league games against Lyon, Liverpool and Arsenal in the league...

The world is watching and expecting now, another big game, another no show from the 'greatest player in the the World' wont cut it anymore I reckon..He's going to have to step up if we are to believe he can reach Zidane's level one day, which most are saying he can easily do....

At 23 he has time, but time waits for no one and if he's to match Zidane's legacy of winning everything, then this year will be hugely important euro's/champions league/defending title....

He has failed to light up the latter stages of the Champions League as Kaka did last season and despite performing well for Portugal, he was found wanting in both their Euro 2004 final and World Cup 2006 semi-final imo,

He has never been "unplayable" against experienced defenders. He has been good, as has been, say Rooney, but he has never managed to be the best player on an important game, something that all the greats tend to manage regularly.

Should be an interesting few weeks

Ronaldo the new Zidane? Not a chance. They're totally different players. Zizou never really had much pace while Ronaldo isn't the most intelligent ofplayers in comparison.

Plus Zizou is the best player ever.

• Advertisement

Yeah stupid comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

A complete mix of Zidanes brain and Ronaldo's speed, imagine it...

You could call it "Le Tissier"

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah stupid comparison.

Comparison is not in terms of playing style, more in terms of achievement/standing in the game.

Zidane is the benchmark of a modern great, he has won everything their is to win while being the cutting edge/difference between nothing and everything...

Ronaldo's world standing now means he has the to carry the same burden as player of Zidane's calibre, thats why I compared the two....

The world is watching, can he deliver, will be seen as somewhat of a failure if he doesnt etc

I think people expect so much from him in terms of the big games, yet people forget that he's only 23. Zidane only joined Juventus when he was 24. Give him time to show he could be one of the best players of his generation. Then if he does it consistantly, he'll become one of the best players ever.

Also Ronaldo is a winger, so fundamentally a different style of player than Zidane.
    Nonetheless, give him time.

PHB wrote: »
    I think people expect so much from him in terms of the big games, yet people forget that he's only 23. Zidane only joined Juventus when he was 24. Give him time to show he could be one of the best players of his generation. Then if he does it consistantly, he'll become one of the best players ever.

Also Ronaldo is a winger, so fundamentally a different style of player than Zidane.
    Nonetheless, give him time.

Is this not the time though?

He's 23 and a wingers skillset doesnt really improve from here on in, in terms of pace, power, trickery etc

Very few wingers/ pacy forwards get better or even stay at the same level past 27 years old, Figo, Giggs , Henry to name a few....

He's at his peak now/ just entering it imo, while Zidane wasnt

I dont think we will see Ronaldo lighting up the world cup at 34 for example with his skillset

• Advertisement

He will reach his peak like other players do, at 27ish. IMO he still is developing as a player, and will get better for at least another 2 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ronaldo is at his peak now to about 25-26.
    After that he will find that he may not have the half yard of pace he had while he was younger.

Zidane had one of the best football brains ever, that is why he was great for so long.

Just look at Owen and Raul. Had the world at their feet at while young but loss of form and injuries confine them to also rans.

Different players but comparing the 2 is ridiculous.
    ZZ will always be better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    A complete mix of Zidanes brain and Ronaldo's speed, imagine it...

You could call it "Le Tissier"

The only reason to have speed and Le Tissier in the same sentence is if theres the words "complete lack of" in between. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

jank wrote: »
    Ronaldo is at his peak now to about 25-26.
    After that he will find that he may not have the half yard of pace he had while he was younger.

Zidane had one of the best football brains ever, that is why he was great for so long.

Just look at Owen and Raul. Had the world at their feet at while young but loss of form and injuries confine them to also rans.

Different players but comparing the 2 is ridiculous.
    ZZ will always be better!

Please tell me you're joking? I was in Rome recently and desperately flicking channels looking for some english programmes, eventually found a subtitled German documentary on Raul. The guy has been performing consistently at the highest level since he was 17. I'm talking top class for almost all those years ... some of his goals and assists in the compilation were breathtaking. As for Owen i'm willing to say he's been top class for at least 7 of the 10 years he's been in the limelight.

Zidane is/was genius but your other comments are harsh.

Please tell me you're joking? I was in Rome recently and desperately flicking channels looking for some english programmes, eventually found a subtitled German documentary on Raul. The guy has been performing consistently at the highest level since he was 17. I'm talking top class for almost all those years ... some of his goals and assists in the compilation were breathtaking. As for Owen i'm willing to say he's been top class for at least 7 of the 10 years he's been in the limelight.

Zidane is/was genius but your other comments are harsh.

Raul has rediscovered his form some what this season, but for the previous 3 seasons he was well below his best most of the time, and seemingly only kept his place because he is Raul.

So what happened to Ronaldo last night?

Is it a coincidence, that almost every time he has faced a quality back or a great team, he has been largely subdued?

Kaka shows up in big games, Drogba shows up in big games, Fabregas shows up in big games, Messi shows up in big games, Ronaldo?

That is why he doesnt deserve the tag 'best player in the world' yet...

Just because he scores goals against Fulham and Bolton dont make him the best player in the world.

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Is it a coincidence, that almost every time he has faced a quality back or a great team, he has been largely subdued?

Kaka shows up in big games, Drogba shows up in big games, Fabregas shows up in big games, Messi shows up in big games, Ronaldo?

Just because he scores goals against Fulham and Bolton dont make him the best player in the world.

Well he had a virus and missed the Arsenal game at the weekend so maybe he just wasn't fully better. But yeah I agree, he's sh1te :rolleyes:

How'd Kaka and Fabregas do last night?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well he had a virus and missed the Arsenal game at the weekend so maybe he just wasn't fully better. But yeah I agree, he's sh1te :rolleyes:

I didnt say that...

He's just not as good as he/everyone thinks he is...

How'd Kaka and Fabregas do last night?

Fabregas played very well I thought...

Kaka has performed many times in big games before and he doesnt have anything to prove, everyone knows he is one off the best players in the world period. Ronaldo on the other hand has nothing to fall back on in terms of big games so still has a lot to prove if he wants to be the best of the best....

• Advertisement

He's just not as good as he/everyone thinks he is...

Well I'm glad you are here to let us all know that.

Melion wrote: »
    Is there a better player in world football?

Sweet mother of jesus he is unbelivable.

I take back all i have said about him over the last 18 months

Thank this man :D

Fabregas played very well I thought...

Fabregas was "meh" at best, completely outshone by Flamini. And I'm a huge Fabregas fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,354 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fabregas was "meh" at best, completely outshone by Flamini. And I'm a huge Fabregas fan.
    Are you allowed to post off topic in this forum? ;)

muffler wrote: »
    Are you allowed to post off topic in this forum? ;)

I don't think its off-topic really though, if someone tries to say Ronaldo goes missing on big occasions unlike X, Y and Z, then surely you can argue back...

Flamini was great, I agree...

But what did you expect Fabregas to do?

He stepped up for the big game and put in a great display imo. One pass to Flamini was breath-taking, and I also remember a lovely bit of skill to skin two Milan players (Gattuso Pirlo) in the middle.

Flamini was always going to have been seen as having the better performance as his game based on taking Kaka out of the game, he did that, and was still able to contribute offensively.But that shouldnt undermine Fabregas's performance as its just as hard to dictate the play somewhat against Milan, something I havent seen any player from an english side do to Mlan...

But what did you expect Fabregas to do?

Whatever you expected Ronaldo to do. I only saw the United highlights, watched the entire Arsenal game. Fabregas has a couple of good chances to get a decent strike on goal and didn't trouble Kalac on either occasion. The one time he got into a brilliant position, Adebayors pass was woeful.

Cesc controlled the middle as usual, thats his job and he's the best in the game at it these days as far as I'm concerned. Ronaldo is very different, he doesn't play in a position where he is able to dictate tempo etc... but relies on others to do that and attacks at every opportunity. Thats why I expect him to dominate the second leg, when United are at home and can dictate the game.

Whatever you expected Ronaldo to do. I only saw the United highlights, watched the entire Arsenal game. Fabregas has a couple of good chances to get a decent strike on goal and didn't trouble Kalac on either occasion. The one time he got into a brilliant position, Adebayors pass was woeful.

Cesc controlled the middle as usual, thats his job and he's the best in the game at it these days as far as I'm concerned. Ronaldo is very different, he doesn't play in a position where he is able to dictate tempo etc... but relies on others to do that and attacks at every opportunity. Thats why I expect him to dominate the second leg, when United are at home and can dictate the game.

Fabregas is not the best player in the world now is he?

Fabregas played very well like you said, Ronaldo did nothing last night..

It's not about one game or two but its over a 20 game span and Ronaldo has prob shown up in 2 of those games. He has never scored against Liverpool and Chelsea in 4 years and that says it all.

Ferguson trying to deflect the attention away from his poor performance in a big game again, by going on about a laser, amuzes me...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article827661.ece

Is he trying to say Ronaldo is so good, that fans have to blind him?

That kinda hype annoys me...

Of course if Ronaldo had played very well he wouldnt have said anything about it...

• Advertisement

Fabregas is not the best player in the world now is he?

He's the player I most enjoy watching at the moment, for whatever thats worth. I agree about Ronaldo not showing up in the vast majority of big games, but he's an unbelievable talent to have against a mediocre side. Rips them to shreds like few others can.

Advertisement