Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cristiano Ronaldo

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Fabregas is not the best player in the world now is he?

Who in your opinion is then? I'm sure they've had off games too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Who in your opinion is then? I'm sure they've had off games too

Their is a difference been off and on...

When has Ronaldo been on in a big game?

Best in the world...Kaka

Of course Kaka cant live on reputation, but he has more leeway if he has one or two bad games, like he did last night because he has proven it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The big games are against the best teams. It's harder for players to play well against decent teams than it is sh*t ones. Of course Ronaldo is going to play better against Derby than he will against Lyon, Arsenal or whoever. People will accuse just abut every good player of not turning up in the big games if they don't rip the opposition to shreds.

The big games are against the best teams. It's harder for players to play well against decent teams than it is sh*t ones. Of course Ronaldo is going to play better against Derby than he will against Lyon, Arsenal or whoever. People will accuse just abut every good player of not turning up in the big games if they don't rip the opposition to shreds.

But if you are the best of best, no better player around, you can make the difference, like all the legends off the past/present have done on a regular basis (Zidane,Maradonna,Drogba,Kaka etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

But if you are the best of best, no better player around, you can make the difference, like all the legends off the past/present have done on a regular basis (Zidane,Maradonna,Drogba,Kaka etc)

Lol how the hell can you include him the same sentence as those other three players? I've seen the word 'legend' used ridiculosly before but this is crazy.

When has Drogba performed massively in a huge game i.e. a Champions League semi-final against a worse Premiership team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Brilliant, your whole argument could have been flawless but you just ruined it.

Drogba has made a difference against Arsenal/Pool/Man U many times, he has also played very well against Valencia,Barca and so on...

He's not Pele, but Ronaldo cant match his record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Players like Zinedine Zidane come along once a decade at best, just because people say he's the best in the world... it doesn't make him Zidane's equal.

Plus I think Kaka's overrated. I'd rate Messi ahead of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cesc played very well i thought last night. Dictated the tempo well. Played some great balls.

A note the the RTE panel. Not scoring goals does not mean you are playing $hite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm utterly confused here.

How did you manage to watch both the Arsenal and the United games at the same time?

It doesn't matter anyway. Ronaldo could have scored a brace last night and you'd still say he doesn't show up. Why? Because Lyon aren't good enough. How do I know this? Because you've ignored his performance he put in against Roma last year at Old Trafford, when he was MOM in a demolition of Roma.

Also, I think Ronaldo had a decent game last night personally, did well, was part of the team effort not to give away possession too much, put in some decent free kicks, came close to scoring with a header, and in general was solid, just like the rest of the team. He didn't score a goal, but sure scoring a goal doesn't get him the status of performing in big games (see Milan last year) but performing solidly doesn't either. Until Ronaldo scores a hattrick in the champions league final people are going to always say he doesn't perform in big games.

People talk about Kaka being amazing all the time, but it helps you don't see him week in week out. He is nowhere near as good in the league as he is in the CL. What does this mean? IMO it means that neither of them are up there with the Peles, Maradonnas and Zidanes of the world, because to be one of those, you have to be able to utterly dominate your league games and your european games. That's why the choices for last year were silly, because it was a choice between one player Kaka who destroyed the CL but was relatively average in the league, one player Ronaldo who destroyed the league, but was relatively average in the CL (average being 2 assists (Lille, Roma) 3 goals(Romax2, Milan) in the latter stages of the competition btw), and one player Messi who was good in the league and relatively average in the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote: »
    Because you've ignored his performance he put in against Roma last year at Old Trafford, when he was MOM in a demolition of Roma.

Nothing team from a nothing league. Sure if Liverpool can beat Inter, the least you'd expect of Utd is to put 7 past Roma. I was frankly disgusted and felt justified in mocking them for conceding a goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

oh jesus, ye beat inter when they had ten men for an hour and it still took a deflection, get some perspective

kryogen wrote: »
    oh jesus, ye beat inter when they had ten men for an hour and it still took a deflection, get some perspective

Jesus some people really need a tongue in cheek smilie to point to the glaringly obvious dont they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

apologies if your remark was tongue in cheek, i just clicked on and yours was the first post i saw, didnt really give it much thought on any other levels then the literal,rushed reply

apologies if your remark was tongue in cheek, i just clicked on and yours was the first post i saw, didnt really give it much thought on any other levels then the literal,rushed reply

Sure half of it is paraphrased from one E.Dunphy.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A bit of citation then Ste! Show Mr Dunphy some respect!

Stekelly wrote: »
    Nothing team from a nothing league. Sure if Liverpool can beat Inter, the least you'd expect of Utd is to put 7 past Roma. I was frankly disgusted and felt justified in mocking them for conceding a goal
    Jesus some people really need a tongue in cheek smilie to point to the glaringly obvious dont they?

Not everyone will have seen or heard Dunphy. What else did you expect to happen? Someone had to pick it up the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's an Irish soccer forum. If you haven't heard of Dunphy, then you're in the wrong place. Seriously, some people in here really need to chill, and learn when to spot someone (trying) being funny before taking offence, or at least avoid the headrush, and count to 10 before hitting "post reply".

Ronaldo was decent enough against Lyon, and was man marked all game, which allowed others to get some extra space. He also took the best free kicks, with Juninho on the field.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Not everyone will have seen or heard Dunphy. What else did you expect to happen? Someone had to pick it up the wrong way.

Even without knowing it was what Dunphy said, it was very obviously tongue in cheek. I even added he last bit about conceding the goal to seal he deal.

astrofool wrote: »
    It's an Irish soccer forum. If you haven't heard of Dunphy, then you're in the wrong place. Seriously, some people in here really need to chill, and learn when to spot someone (trying) being funny before taking offence, or at least avoid the headrush, and count to 10 before hitting "post reply".

I didn't say haven't "heard OF Dunphy", I said "heard Dunphy". Count to ten yourself!

• Advertisement

Even without knowing it was what Dunphy said, it was very obviously tongue in cheek. I even added he last bit about conceding the goal to seal he deal.

I got it, but clearly some people won't have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Heard/heard of, doesn't matter, there's been numerous threads on Dunphy's ramblings, and they are interspersed throughout this forum. However, even without knowing what he said, it was obvious sarcasm.

Advertisement