Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Handbrake trouble

Options
  • 30-01-2008 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Im doing my driving test in 2 weeks and my handbrake is a bit iffy. When i put the handbrake on the car will still move or roll back on hills unless i have my foot on the brake! I know that this is not good as i will fail my test if i roll back on my hillstart,the thing is, when my boyfriend pulls the handbrake up with gusto it will hold. Im wondering is there a way to "loosen" the handbrake lever so that i can pull it up a little bit extra?? Left it into a garage today he charged me 20euro and didnt do anything but told me I needed a "big job" done on the brake pads (which i think is bull)
    Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What car is it? Most handbrakes work on the principal of a cable and ratchet mechanicism going to the rear brakes. There is one or two ajusting nuts under or at the back of the hand brake leaver at the cable end/s (Sometimes under the car) if you remove the rubber cober. If there is no more ajustment on the cable it could be of two things, pads worn or cable stretched. http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/adjhandbrake.htm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sounds like the pads do need to be replaced!! Or the cable to be tightened.

IF you are anywhere near Deerpark, drop in C+F motors and ask them to take a look, they won't rip you off and tell you exactly what is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Martly

Its a 00 fiat seicento, think i might go to a different garage for a second opinion

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

As above pop into them and they will look after you.

Advertisement