Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chipping an A3?

Options
  • 30-01-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 07 A3 1.9Tdi and my mates have been constantly rapping on about getting the engine chipped. Can somebody explain to me what exactly this is and would it affect my warranty and fuel consumption?

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 billyk

i'd guess that it will void your warranty but check with the garage to be sure, as for fuel consumption chipping can increase your cars mpg rating depending on your driving style

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Right

Warranty wont be effected as a remap is untraceable (remap is the porper term for it "chip" is the generic term)

I take it your A3 is the 105bhp model? a good remap will give you a reliable 140 bhp and buckets of torque.

Basically a good remap is done through the obd port on your car and it will alter certain settings such as fueling,timing and boost.If done by a reliable tuner and someone who knows there stuff then it is entirely safe and to be honest recommended!

I ogt my 100bhp golf remapped to 130 and never looked back,and suffered no porblems as a result either.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Sounds good, but I wonder if my insurance will be affected? Must give FBD a call, although I doubt they'll have any clue what I'm talking about!!

Can anybody recommend a good remapping garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I used www.chippidire.com based in straffan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Sounds good, but I wonder if my insurance will be affected? Must give FBD a call, although I doubt they'll have any clue what I'm talking about!!

they most certainly will. And hammer you for it if you tell them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

uberwolf wrote: »
    they most certainly will. And hammer you for it if you tell them

Balls, sounds a bit too risky then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Quinn only wanted about an extra €100 when I got mine chipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

fletch wrote: »
    Quinn only wanted about an extra €100 when I got mine chipped.

yeh its usually not too much extra at all

Advertisement