Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chord question?

Options
  • 30-01-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Have a look at the list of chords you can get on this page (they are in the box below the Major and Minor headings). I cant seem to see dim chords all I can see are dim7, maybe there is another way of writing dim or maybe its just not there but then that would be odd considering its such a popular chord. Any help would be great.

http://www.activebass.com/

(the track builder section)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I think he forgot the link. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

oops ;)

Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

I mock thy track builder. Where's the figured bass option!? Much more practical.

• Advertisement

Whata ya mean?

So nobody has any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

You'd probably be better off using a program like guitar pro. It's a bit more time consuming, but it's also much less restricting.

So if I use Dim7 instead of Dim will that be kinda the same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

most of the time it should be ok, but sometimes it won't sound right:)

dim is a 3 note chord, dim7 is a 4 note chord e.g.
    C dim = C Eb Gb
    C dim7 = C Eb Gb A

As far as my music course has taught me (still in first year like) the diminished chord should either resolve to a Db (enharmonically = C#) major, or perhaps a C#dim chord if you want to prolong the suspension. The diminished chord basically acts as the top three notes of a dominant 7 (ie: a major triad with a minor 7th eg D,A,F#,C), or in the case of ogy's example Ab, C, Eb, Gb. In a dominant 7, the major third (in ogy's example, the C) should rise one semitone (to a Db) and the minor 7th (in ogy's example the Gb) should fall a semitone to the F, making the core of a major triad (Db, F, Ab), hence Db major (C# major).

Don't know what to make of that A though... :D

Advertisement